POG to sponsor Cross Country Series

Started by Paul Danik, December 18, 2008, 08:08:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul Danik

The Penton Owners Group is very pleased to announce that it will sponsor the AHRMA Cross Country Series for 2009.  Given the natural connection between the Penton motorcycle, and cross country racing, this series sponsorship should be a perfect match. The POG hopes to help this series to grow and continue to provide a venue for not only Penton riders, but for all riders, to enjoy and participate in.

There is one other very interesting item about this sponsorship that I would be remiss in not mentioning, Jack Penton made the motion that the POG sponsor the series, and John Penton seconded the motion, how is that for support!

Paul

chicagojerry

i'm glad to see this come to fruition. its good to be a part of the ahrma CC scene and i'm looking forward to seeing the pog logo as the sponsor. chi jer

wfopete

Awesome, it's a natural.

Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good
Pete Petrick
175 Jackpiner
Slow but Good

sixdazed

Hi Paul,
                 That's great-except-any idea why no Phoenix round of the CC is listed?Is it not happening or just omitted from the schedule.Happy Holidays,
                       Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

chicagojerry

hi ric. there will not be a CC race at the phoenix opener.you'll notice that there are very few CC races in conjunction with vmx and pvmx races this year. the logic behind it that teddy landers is using is that there were too many races last year making it also too many races that counted toward the championship. the only CC races in conjunction with mx races are the really big events. gatorback, diamond don's and mid-ohio. barber is in the mix with a cc too but there is no longer a VMX race there, just a pvmx race. most of the other CC races are made up of two day, stand alone events to try to lessen the need to travel as much. i personally enjoy racing a CC race at a lot of the mx weekends, but i also understand what teddy is trying to accomplish. he has been extremely tied up with work lately or i'm sure that he would have answered this himself. he hasn't beeen posting much on this board lately.
chicago jerry

Kip Kern

Fantastic, kinda makes me feel like the "good old days" are peaking around the corner.  Maybe this can bring more fun back to the sport.

Excellent news in these trying times!  Thanks Mr Prez!  And Thanks too to the Penton family!:D

paul a. busick

Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to one and all.
 The cross country events have been a truly fun rides.  You get some real saddle time and feel that you have gotten a big bang for your buck.  I was wondering how you all might feel about lobbying for a one and a half to two hour format?  It would seem to me that once the course has been laid out, that the hardest work has been done.  After that it is the scorers that have the work and perhaps with the transponders in place,their job load would be greatly reduced.
 If you are like minded-now is the time to start the ball rolling.
 P.A. Busick

brian kirby

Personally I would love to see 1.5-2 hour long races, the longer the better, my fastest laps are almost always the last couple. I do see some problems though. The biggest problem is fuel, most bikes raced at AHRMA CC events could not make it 2 hours without refueling. I have a '79 Maico 440 I occasionally race CC with and at the Ocala race this year I used 2 gallons of fuel in 1 hour, even with my 3.5 gal GS tank I would have had to stop and refuel in a 2 hour event. They would have to have a "hot pit" area where you could refuel safely and it would have to be manned by additional workers with fire extinguishing equipment.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

tofriedel

We used to run some 4 hour CC and occasionally a 6 hour here in MD and PA.  Refueling was not done at a central point.  We would pick a spot near the pit area and a pit crewman would be at the ready away from any other pit crews.  It worked.

Tony
Tony

brian kirby

Well, thats the only big thing to sort out and like I said I would prefer a 2 hour format for sure.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

sixdazed

Brian,I was going to ask if you had any problems finishing the CC and GP events on your Berkshire with the GP tank without pitting for fuel.It's kind of a moot point for me(at least for a while since no CC at Phoenix)but still curious to know how many miles to a tankful-50-60 miles maybe?Happy Holidays,
                                          Ric
     Jerry,Thanks for the info.The only problem is it looks like the Duel in the Desert race is having vmx and pvmx only as well,leaving the cross country guys hanging.Happy Holidays,
                                              Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

brian kirby

Ric,

I'm not sure on the range with the small tank. The only CC event I've done so far was the ISDT Reunion Ride and we had fuel at the first control. I've seen guys finish 1 hour races on 250 and 400 Pentons with the small MX tank so I imagine a smaller bike should be able to also. Ernie has said though that the small Sachs engines are pretty thirsty probably because they spend much more time at full throttle than a bigger bike. I have a rough but usable toaster tank I can use if I ever need the extra range.

There are going to be two 2 day CC races in California this year Ric. One is in Taft 3-14/15 and the other is going to be in 6-6/7 but the location is not set yet. Its either Thunderhill Raceway park in Willows, CA or Sunrise/395/Racetown in Adelanto. I hope its at Adelanto, and if it is I am likely to fly out for that race and borrow bikes from Paul Johnstone.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Larry Perkins

How many races count in CC this year?.  The prob with last year was it took 10 and the year before it was 7.  Did they fix that?  10 ran some away including me. 7 is plenty and in many classes most have trouble hitting that many.

Larry P

Dennis Jones

Rick, I have the small alloy Hi-Point mx tank on my 175 jackpiner. A couple years ago I ran the Vintage CC at Marion with it and parked the bike after my race to go watch the Post Vintage race.  Gary Ellis had bike trouble less than 1/2 a mile into the race, got pulled back to the pits, jumped on my Piner and finished his 1 hour race on it without a refuel and never hit reserve. Even with the delay he still got second in PV on my vintage bike.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Jeff D

I believe 8 races will count towards the championship.  I'm sure Teddy will pipe in here once he gets some free time (he is truly a busy, busy man with work, no excuses...just fact)  Goals were to have maximum of 15 races (actual count 19 as east and west coast races could be held on same weekend) with as many 2-days as possible.  Those without unlimited vacation time/finances/tolerant spouses might be able to justify  4 or 5 weekends to race instead of 8 to 10.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell