Modern Handlebars On Vintage Penton/KTMs

Started by Tahitian_Red, January 05, 2009, 04:09:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahitian_Red

I usually run Renthal Vintage/Desert Bend handlebars on my Vintage bikes, but they seem a little short on my 75 KTM 250.  What brand and bend of bars do you use on your Vintage Penton/KTM?  Thanks!

The "Factory Novice"
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?

brian kirby

Jay,

Since I am a woods rider primarily, I use any brand of ATV bar. They are very close to the size of the original Penton bars but are closer to 30-31 inches wide so I dont have to cut them down. Pretty much any brand of ATV bar will work well.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

chicagojerry

hey jay, i swear by aluminum renthal hi-mini kawasaki bars. as i recall,i think that the model number is 1650. on my personal race bikes, when i buy new bars they are the only ones that i'll get.
chi jer

Larry Perkins

I use the Renthal Vintage/Desert bar on all of mine and cut off 1/2 inch on each side but I am small of stature and short of arm.  In my opinion all the original bars were way too wide but of course that is from my perspective.  Back in "The Day"  they were too tall for me and I would put on Yamaha YZ style bars as they were lower.

Larry P

tmc3c

I had a Renthal vintage bend on my 76 250 but they were to low and made it feel cramped so I opted for factory bars.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

evomx244

Renthal Jimmy Button High-about the same height as there vintage bend without as much sweep back

I have renthal 971 (new honda take off bars) on my 78 Ktoom

Tahitian_Red

EvoMX,

I was thinking about using a clamp spacer like that and just run the Vintage/Desert or Button bars.  Is your spacer 20mm or so?

The "Factory Novice"
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?

ossaracer

I use "Mini - High" Renthals.  They have more rise than the vintage Desert High.  For most old school Pentons (without using a riser spacer) the 3-4" rise is needed, the Mini high is the only bar with that mush rise.  they are also 31 3/8" wide so nit too narrow nor too wide to have to cut them.   My .0c  they are same size material so no worries getting sa "mini"  bar.

Terry Gates
AHRMA racer/Penton-Ossa lover
[email protected]
Penton 100 Berkshire 72 - nice (on the way!!)
Penton 125 Six Days (3)
Penton 175 Jackpiner
Penton 250 Harescambler (2 1/2)  Love 'em!!
Mint 400 - sweet
Terry Gates
AHRMA racer/Penton-Ossa lover
[email protected]
Penton 100 Berkshire 72 - nice (on the way!!)
Penton 125 Six Days (3)
Penton 175 Jackpiner
Penton 250 Harescambler (2 1/2)  Love \\\'em!!
Mint 400 - sweet

skiracer

Can I ask where you got those spacers for the bars?
Thanks, James  
Quotequote:Originally posted by evomx244

Renthal Jimmy Button High-about the same height as there vintage bend without as much sweep back

I have renthal 971 (new honda take off bars) on my 78 Ktoom

1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

tofriedel

Tony

pketchum

I use the Renthal "Mini-High" bars (model 757 I believe).  They hold up incredibly well having crash tested them MULTIPLE times.  I've not had to replace them yet.  I opted for them years ago on the advice of Teddy "Lightning" Landers.  Now, he's the AHRMA National Off-road Coordinator and travels the country with a trailer chock full of thoroughbred Penton's, but back then he was a mere mortal among men.

"Phace Plant" Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka