PVL Ignitions

Started by Tahitian_Red, January 06, 2009, 03:35:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahitian_Red

I've only heard one negative thing about PVL ignitions and that is they seem to make the bike harder to start than Motoplats or Japanese CDIs.  has anyone noticed this and if so, what can you do to make it better?  Thanks!

The "Factory Novice"
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?

Larry Perkins

I actually would say just the opposite.  They are easier to start and rev quicker.  They are also virtually forever whereas there are two kinds of Motoplats-Bad ones and ones that will be bad.:D

Larry P

brian kirby

I dont believe anything could be harder to start than a big bore two stroke with a Motocrap ignition. I agree with Larry, its not IF your Motocrap will fail, its when.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Dennis Jones

I'm with Larry and Brian. If your bike doesn't start BETTER with a PVL you have other issues. Installing a PVL is one of the best bang for the bucks improvements you can do to a Penton.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

evomx244

I agree with everybody PVL is just good stuff. Plus one less thing to worry about at the race, as mention above rev's quicker 2

Rain Man

I love the MZB 12v I installed in my 6 day.  Thats the best starting bike I own, and I own alot of bikes ;)  Big and small.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

dirtbike

I agree too. I know guys that swear by the Motoplat beeing the best ignition and that it gives a powerful spark at very low rpm:s when kicking. I like the motoplat because I's an essential part of the vintage mx world. I have however holding to many broke motoplats in my hands over the years to romanticize over them. If you race your bike and expect it to start and work again and again you'll be better off with something newer than an old motoplat.

Tahitian_Red

The problem may be with bikes that have starting gears that don't give the motor maximum spin. [?]

The "Factory Novice"

TGTech

Just sent an e-mail to Jay to give him some information about the systems.

Dane

Tahitian_Red

Dane,

I replied to your email.  Thanks! :)

The "Factory Novice"

tomale

Hmmm that is strange. I have two bikes with motoplats on them and both have always been good starters... I have one bike with a PVL on it and it works well too.. I realize that new is going to be better than old, nothing lasts forever. but I wonder if not at least some of the motoplat failure is linked to not being carfull to maintain the ground from the coil to the sparkplug. (as I was told was the important grounding connection)

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

TGTech

Thom,

The grounding of any ignition is very critical, and if the ground deteriorates over time, the ignition will go bad. The Motoplat ignitions made after January 1st of '74, were very, very good ignitions because Motoplat stepped it up in the quality of the components, moved the diode to the coil instead of having it still in the stator, and the production processes were made better as well. But if the grounding issue wasn't kept in good shape, the ignition would go bad, no matter how much quality is in the components.

Dane

Tahitian_Red

A buddy helped me make sure the grounding of the motor and coil were good.  It still wouldn't start. So, then we took out the plug (NGK V-plug) to see if it had good spark.  Grounded the plug against the head and gave her a good spin.  He thought he may have seen a small spark once possibly, but certainly nothing after that.  Changed coil to a known working PVL coil, still nothing.  Disconnected the kill switch and still nothing.

Where do I go from here?

Racing the "Falta-Nator" in 2009

Larry Perkins

I know this makes no sense but try it just in case.  Hook up an HS(non-racing electrode) plug instead of the V.  I did this with a non-firing Husky and it then had spark.  Makes no sense but it won't hurt to try as the Husky fired and has with the appropriate ES(long reach for the Husky) plug ever since.

Larry P

brian kirby

Check the spade connectors at the coil/CDI. They do not stay on unless you crimp them tight and I also put tape over them to keep them clean and in place.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian