Pipe Identification

Started by Tahitian_Red, January 09, 2009, 05:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tahitian_Red

Can anyone tell me who makes this pipe for KTM/Pentons?

Thanks!

The "Factory Novice"
Racing the \\"FaltaNator\\" in 2011?

454MRW

That looks a lot like a stock late 80-81 250 KTM pipe that has a separate silencer that slips onto the end of the stinger. It will fit with some bracket modifications if using a 74 style MX tank, or later 78 mx tank. If used with a 76-77 MC5 tank, the left petcock must be plugged. I have one in useable but beat up and welded in the front tube section, but nice otherwise that I would sell for $50.00 without the silencer. The stinger tip is 1.125" OD if I remeber correctly. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

chicagojerry

thats toni roach at mid-ohio and i'm almost certain that she is riding a 175. she and her husband gary are on this website often so maybe they can chime in. gary builds outstanding pentons. (and he was instrumental in builing the orange penton truckster that was given to JP) hopefully he can give you some more insight. nice pix.  chicago jerry

G Ellis

That Pipe is a 175 1978 to 1980 torque Pipe. This pipe only works on a 175. I have some very good 250 torque pipe. Call 217 260 0237  Hope this will help Gary Ellis

skiracer

Hey Gary,

I might be interested in one of your 250 torque pipes.  Could you contact me at [email protected]?
Thanks, James
Quotequote:Originally posted by G Ellis

That Pipe is a 175 1978 to 1980 torque Pipe. This pipe only works on a 175. I have some very good 250 torque pipe. Call 217 260 0237  Hope this will help Gary Ellis
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Gary Roach

Michael Winter, Chicago Jerry, and Gary Ellis are all three correct. This is a bike I built for my wife a few years ago. It's a '73 Jackpiner frame with a '74 MX tank, and a '80 175 motor and pipe.

And Michael was right about the tank and petcock. This bike has a petcock on the tank, but it doesn't have a fuel line going to it.

Here's what modifications I had to do to get the pipe to fit.

Cut off the original pipe mounting bracket that was under the left side of the tank.

Drill a hole in the left frame gussett (the one that's below and front of the tank) for the rubber mount.

Cut and relocate the pipe front mounting bracket.

After the pipe is bolted up, it will not reach the exhaust manifold. This is because the motor sits further back in the frame on the '73 model than it did on the '80 model. So, I could have welded an extension onto the pipe, but I didn't want to use the hybrid original style manifold, so I decided to make a longer manifold completely out of steel. (The exhaust manifolds on the later 125's and 175's had a steel piece of pipe where the exhaust pipe slid up on, but the rest of the manifold was aluminum that was casted around the piece of pipe. Over time, the steel piece of pipe would come loose inside of the aluminum casting, and there was no way of tightening it up. It would either rattle or leak, but in most cases, both. And because the exhaust port on the later motors was pointed downward and the port was oblong, you couldn't use one of the earlier style manifolds.)

The '80 model frame had laid down shocks, and the rear exhaust mount was exactly where the top shock bolt is on the '73 model, so I added a section in the middle of the pipe to clear the shock.

I made my own trick-looking aluminum silencer end cap.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

Gary

chicagojerry

hey gary. i would be interested in a 250 torque pipe too. drop me a note off-line at [email protected]
 thanks, jerry
 p.s.did you send in your ahrma ballot? hopefully you and toni can send a couple of votes my way

brian kirby

Gary, I wonder if they made pipes like that for the Sachs bikes? I ask because my So-Cal Berkshire's frame has a hole drilled in exactly the same spot as the one in your picture and when I got the bike there was a rubber mount still bolted in place.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Tahitian_Red

Gary Ellis,

I will call you Saturday morning.  Thanks! :)

Gary Roach,

That is one of the most beautifully built bikes I have ever seen.  I bet your wife was very happy with it.
;)

The "Factory Novice"

Gary Roach

Chicago Jerry,
Yep. Toni sent the ballots in last week.

Tahitian_Red,
Thanks for the compliment. Yeah, I'm pretty much her Hero for building the bike for her.

Brian,
I've put one on a Sachs powered bike so I know it can be done. I've never seen anything come out of the factory that way, but anything is possible. I know that over in Europe they were using torque pipes years before we ever saw any.

Kent Knudson's '74 125

Ernie Phillips

Gary,  Beautiful bike!!!!  What length shocks are you using?

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Larry Perkins

Here is a question for everyone to hash out and give opinions on.  I know AHRMA looks the other way on this but should later model engines and pipes be legal in Vintage bikes?  Not just the ones we are looking at here and have discussed but some of the later model technology in pipes seen on Huskys and Hodakas.  A lot of the pipes I see we could not have invisioned in 74.  Curious to see what people think.

Larry P

brian kirby

You are correct Larry, its one more of those things AHRMA looks the other way. Even multiple cone pipes like Circle F are not technically legal for Classic class bikes the way the rules read, but lots of Classic class bikes use them. I've been told by tech inspectors that they let those exhausts slide because its so hard to find stock or period aftermarket pipes for some bikes so they let all bikes have the wiggle room. I've seen a Yamaha CT-1 with a hacked modern Bill's pipe on it, which is clearly not legal.

You better not have .5mm too much rear shock travel though...

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Gary Roach

Ernie,

The shocks are 15ΒΌ center-to-center.

Gary

Tahitian_Red

Gary,

I have those pics too.  I think they are from the '76 season, which would put them in the Historic era.  The Russians used the straight leg forks for a few more seasons than the other factory riders. I have a crack in one of the axle mounts on my 76 MC5 and was thinking about finding a set of straight leg Cerianis to put on and add a 78 pipe to have the "Factory" look.
:D

I called someone on the AHRMA Vintage rules committee and got the ok to add a '78 "style" pipe on my '75.
;)

The "Factory Novice"