Mini bike sales banned effective 02-10-2009

Started by t20sl, February 05, 2009, 08:39:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act  
Everybody remember the lead paint on toys from China?? Well back in August 08 our government passed a law requiring lead content in paint and "substrates" be less than 600 parts per million on any product for the "youth" market. Guess what? All minibikes and atv's for the youth market are, as the law currently is stated, unable to be sold after FEB 10th 2009. YES, Honda, Yamaha, KTM, Kawasaki, Suzuki etc............ Honda dealers have been told as of that date to not sell and to remove all CRF50,70,80,100,150's from the showrooms and the TRX90. These models have aluminum engine cases and other aluminum parts. That's correct, aluminum has too much lead in it. Start writing your governmnet officials!!!!!!!!!!!! If your kid decides to lick his engine, well.....
Check out the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act (CPSIA)

Dave Mitchell

Well you know how those chilluns like to knaw on them thar engine cases. Insane absolutely in freakin sane.
Dave

firstturn

Ted is right.  Even though I am retired from Honda, this is a situation that really hurts Honda Dealers in a time that the Dealers need every sales they can get.  I regularly visit dealers and I am very disappointed in this ruling.  Please write you congress and senate person.  I would normally capitalize the people mentioned in previous sentence, but right now I am having a problem respecting said people so I will stand by my grammer.
  Actually I have just sold all my Honda stock so that no one will say I am just on a witch hunt to help benefit me.  I will continue to crusade against these useless laws.
  Thanks Ted for bring this subject up.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

gooddirt

Does the AMA  have a stand in this matter ?:([V] If so are they helping ?  LG

Dave Mitchell

I think what has happened here is some idiot has misinterpeted what this law was enacted for.I believe what they were going after was diecast aluminum toys ie: matchbox type cars,motorcycles ect.Leave it to those watchdog types to get overzelous.If it's not the enviromentalists it's the government.
Dave

t20sl

I have not heard for sure but this should affect all youth motorcycle manufaturers not just Honda.  There are many organizations involved in the fight but please write or call your representitives.  Another thing I wonder about is pop cans. How much lead is alloyed in that type of aluminum? When you think about the prevalent use of aluminum in items used by children ( bicycles, strollers, hi-chairs etcc) there are a lot of manufacturers and retailers affected by this. Ted

jj

John J Slivka

sixdazed

What Next??????These idiots never cease to amaze!I just went out to our warehouse and looked at the "corner of shame" where our stop sale units sit and could only shake my head.They already have no less than 4 huge multi paragraphed WARNING tags(3 riveted on to the fenders,1 embossed into the seat,no less)plus hang tags,etc..Next i suppose a big DO NOT EAT stamp on the engine cases,hubs,etc.Just when we need to sell bikes the most due to the crappy economy our government has helped provide us with,they pull this-just crazy!Yea, once they get the law straightened out it will probably go away,but still lost sales will be a factor.Just all the Warning labels are probably enough to scare away a few parents as it is.I'm all for protecting kids-to a point!I'm sorry to get all political but isn't it bad enough they tax everything we live in, sell,buy,eat,drink,drive,drive on,ride,repair,etc.,etc.Sorry,just my.00125 cents(take home after taxes). Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Gavin Housh

Another display of government gone bad. I say find a few politicians and s*#@~+$^ them. [xx(]

Rain Man

Do you guys really understand how this ban's going to affect the racing community ?  Some of the big MX tracks could close. The reason being none of the kids are going to be able to race !!
 I know 1/2 the competitors in the flat track races I compete in are kids, with their families !!
 The tracks are going to be empty this summer, unfortunately :(

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons