1976 mudlark?

Started by bert pack, December 28, 2001, 09:22:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bert pack

hey guys, a newbie here but an excited one.  i recently ran upon a 76 penton 125cc trials bike for sale.  i hope to go see it tomorrow.  the owner says it has a crankshaft problem and may need a bearing.  any info would be greatly appreciated.  any opinions re: the worth of the bike appreciated also.  post direct, if you wish @  [email protected]      TIA

Dennis Jones

Go for it Bert. These bikes are very rare and a lot of fun to ride. As far as value, the more complete the better. A very incomplete one brought over $400 recently on ebay. A cherry one might bring $2000. If you get it I might be able to answer a few questions, I have 5 of them.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

OUCWBOY

One sold out here in California for over $3,000.00. I think it went for $3,380.00.
I saw one go in Texas back in October for $2,850.00. However, both looked brand new!
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Larry Perkins

If you get it and it has motor troubles I have over a ton of NOS Sachs parts.

bert pack

i appreciate the info and will certainly hang onto it. i didn't get to see it this weekend as the owner was working overtime.  'll pick it up unless it's un-reasonably priced.  i don't know where i'll put it or what i'll tell the wife.  i wonder if she'd give up her sewing room?  LOL

Paul Danik

I've been in that wife telling position a few times myself. I have found that the absolute truth is the best policy. You are buying it  so as it increases in value your net worth is increasing allowing you to take better care of her! So if buying one is good buying many is great.  Please don't spread this sure money making concept around as everyone else will be wanting to get into it.

bert pack

thanks for the guidance Paul, that's just the impetus i need.  maybe i'll be able to talk him out of the Hodaka too, i must keep the welfare of my family in mind.  

Larry, Dennis, Bob, OUCWBOY, Paul, i do appreciate the replys from all you guys. a few decades back, in my hay-days i always rode Huskys.  i always wanted and liked the Pentons.  it's never too late i suppose

hey Dennis, is 5 gonna be enough ;)

OUCWBOY

Bert,
I don't think 5 is nearly enough. I have 12 and am still searching for more. You gotta improve your self worth as much as you can.
Donny
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

bert pack

1976 Mudlark now a Bantam??  i bought it yesterday, haven't found a serial # on the frame as yet ( might be that i don't know where to look).  i have the flu and it's cold as he//, didn't spend much time looking.  the engine #'s are 5497088, type 1001/6b, 97cc.  it needs some help, i would term it "incomplete".  the rookie appreciates any info TIA

Dennis Jones

Bert,
Before Ted Wassell settled in on Sachs engines to make a compete bike, he made a trials rolling chassis to except the Bantom engine that was readily available in England. Try looking on the steering head for a serial number. Congratulations on your find.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Larry Perkins

That is a 100cc 6 speed B engine if it has the correct ignition sidecase on it.

bert pack

thanks Larry and Dennis
the frame appears to have been painted, i may have to do some scraping on the steering head.  the engine is definitely a Sachs, so this would not be a bantom?  is Bantom a model name or the name of an English engine.  i'll take some pics asap and post them.  how do i identify the correct ignition side case/  i hate being so ignorant, appreciate your patience

bert

Dennis Jones

Bert,
You can tell Larry was more awake than I this morning, after I read Bantam I didn't pick up on the Sachs numbers. Lets try to identify the frame. Does the swingarm fit inside of the frame or stradle the outside?

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

bert pack

i'm thinking the swing arm fits inside the frame, will look and confirm.  i was able to find the # W 386 ST on the left side of the steering head.  i was thinking the Wassel #'s i had seen somewhere on the list were 4 digit but i sure can't detect a 4th on this bike.  i'm also going to take some pics, is there anywhere i could post them?

Paul Danik

Bert,
That serial number fits right in with the rest of the Wassells that we have seen.  We have assumed that the W is for Wassell, and the ST for Sachs Trials. All of the serial numbers that have been posted are three digit and yours falls right into the range we have seen.  When the Penton Registry comes on line there is a place for the Wassells to be registered and it will be interesting to see just how many show up.
Paul