Wanted - 77- 79 KTM Trials

Started by Dennis Jones, December 28, 2001, 12:41:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Jones

I don't know if many of these were imported but I would love to have one. I have found pictures on the web and old magazines. Can anyone help locate one or give me more information. Thanks

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

Dennis,
I did some leg work a few years back on the same subject.  I had read a few tidbits over the years and even saw a couple of pictures of a 250 KTM trials machine. One story is that a KTM employee handbuilt the machine. I think that Barry Higgins has some knowledge of the machine. I would also recommend trying some of the European websites that have a message board. That KTM just might have a bit more umph than the Wassell!!! By the way, congrats on making the cover of Vintage Views.
Paul

Dennis Jones

Thanks for the info Paul. One of the Europeon sites has several pictures and the badges are calling it a 325. That thing should pull like my Sherpa T 350.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mark Annan

How about posting the URL for some of these sites.  I'd like to see one.

Mark

Dennis Jones

Mark here is an address that Rocket posted here last January, I don't know how to make it a link.  http://web.tiscali.it/ktm70pages/sommario.htm

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Dennis Jones

I guess I do know how to make it a link

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

Thanks to Doug Wilford we have a link to the above site, and several others, now in the POG links section, check it out.

Dr.2Stroke

Hello Dennis. Im afraid to say,that KTM made only one prototype of a trialmachine in the late seventies.They didnt have enough money to produce it,so they stopped this project. The original 325 prototype stands at the KTM Museum in Italy. Would be very interesting for collectors if they would have made it serial! Regards Reinhard

Dennis Jones

Thanks for the info. I guess the good news is I will have more time and money to devote to my Wassells and Jackpiner.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

Dennis,
I was doing some research and found another KTM trials machine.  It is pictured on page 190 of The Mick Andrews Book Of Trials.  It states under the picture, "The Austrian KTM company have lately taken an interest in trials and Walter Luft rode this 250cc two-stroke in the 1976 Scottish Six Days Trial".  I knew I had seen a 250 KTM trials machine somewhere. Now to find Walter's phone number in the book!!!!!!
Paul

Gary Brinton

Paul:

I have a book on the Scottish Six Day Trials 1970-1994.  It lists W Luft rider #226 as finishing 32/194 with 167 marks lost on a KTM 250.  I'll send an email to the Secretary of the Trial (Jim McColm) and see if he can get any information for us.

Gary

veelab

Reinhart, - I am very interested to learn more about the KTM museum in Italy...(?)
Is this a "Farioli" museum? Where is it located, and is it open to the public? More information would be greatly appreciated.

I know for sure that Felix Krahnstoever in Germany campained a KTM Trials prototype as well, so there must have been at least two machines.

Thanks,
Bernd

Gary Brinton

Paul:

I just got an e-mail from Jim McColm.  He said that he knew Walter Luft pretty well and thinks he knows how to get in touch with him!  I'll let you know as I hear more.

Gary

Dennis Jones

WOW!  Who would have thought this would go this far. Paul after reading your post I looked for and found an article from DIRT BIKE 1977 on Scottish Six Days Trial. It has a small (but very cool) picture of a KTM 250 trials. The text uder the picture reads: Develepment rider Walter Luft has been working on a 320 KTM but rode his 250. The bike has externlly adjustable air forks for road and section work.: Although it looks like it will not happen, I would love to challenge the Bultaco and Yamaha boys with one of these at an AHRMA trial. I wonder what kind of chassis they started with? Oh well, we all have our dreams.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones