Trail Rider "Dalton" issue

Started by Jeff D, February 18, 2009, 06:18:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff D

Fans of the 1973 ISDT, run don't walk to your nearest cycle shop and pick up a copy of this month's Trail Rider magazine.  Many pages devoted to the 1973 ISDT in Dalton, Mass, as told by the guys who rode it.  I penned the article, but it is 95% their words.  All I did was compile their stories for Trail Rider.  Lots of Penton guys contributed....Mr. P, Jack, Doug Wilford, Carl Cranke...and you'll recognize most of the other contributors as well.
Thanks to Paul Clipper for devoting the lion's share of this issue to the historically significant Dalton ISDT.  Please support Paul by picking up a copy of this mag.  He's felt the crunch of the economy, having lost several long-time advertisers who are also being adversely affected by the economic downturn.  Trail Rider just printed a fantastic issue on the Penton 40th celebration and is the ONLY magazine to cover EVERY year of the ISDT Reunion Ride.  If any magazine deserves your subscription, Trail Rider is it.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Jeff D

Ooops, didn't intentionally mean to omit Dane and Billy Uhl from the list of Penton contributors...I was being called to the dinner table and was rushing the intial post!

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Kip Kern

Jeff,  Great job on the writing in "Trail Rider",  another great issue.  One thing though, wait until I show Forest Stahl the photo of the Maico triple, it is actually a non running brain child of Maico Breako Jim McCabe.  Forest will have a heart attack when he see's his name on it!  He only speaks Husqvarna[:0]

Jeff D

I know...I'm going to owe Husky Forrest a huge apology for that boo-boo!  I tried to write the article from memory (bad thing to do when you're 50+!) and remember thinking "Isn't that the Husky guy..what's he doing messing with Maicos?"  In any case, the 1470 triple and the 804 single jug were real feats of engineering.  McCabe says he's had the triple running but hasn't gotten the 120 degree firing order seperation down pat yet.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

Kip Kern

Actually, he has tried to get it running a few times but it keeps eating Diesel Truck starters and can't turn fast enough to fire.  Hopefully, this year he can get her going.  Kinda like the economy, if you throw enough money at it, it could possibly, sometimes, maybe if you close one eye and squint through the other, work![xx(]