Engine removal help -- Jackpiner --Success!

Started by marsattacks, February 22, 2009, 04:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

marsattacks

Hi all, I have read the posts on removing an engine and am having a little bit of difficulty, partly caused by the general state of the bike on which I'm working and partly caused by my lack of experience.

It appears that removing the spacer from between the engine at the right rear mounting stud and frame will simplify engine removal, but I sure cannot figure out how to remove the spacer.  All the nuts on the mounts are loose, including the 12mm Allen nut on the rear stud, and the "pinch bolt" for the swing arm (but not the swing arm bolt itself).  I would be grateful for any suggestions.  Here are two photos in case they help you to give any advice you wish to share.  Thanks, John

This photo is taken a little more broadside:

This is a little more from the front looking backwards:

Click here to see Mars attack:
http://www.ufodigest.com/news/0208/images/marsattacks.jpg
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

chicagojerry

according to your picture, you have to take that long bolt out that still has the nut attached to it. take the nut off the bolt below the swingarm pivot bolt and tap the bolt out. then you can take the spacer out by tapping it towards the back. also, please drop me a line off-board. chi jer

tomale

Jerry is quite right. That bolt beneath the swingarm bolt needs to be backed all the way out. and that large 12 allen head bolt needs to be removed as well. then the spacer will come all the way out. once that is done you will have alot more wiggle room.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

marsattacks

Thanks guys.  All those nuts are loose, I just wanted them to be in the picture.  But I didn't want to start tapping on bolts without a little guidance  Just what I needed. Jerry, I will email you.  Regards, John

Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
79 space rock shox bike

Rain Man

John, don't be afraid to put some good ole penetrating oil on that bolt and surrounding area. (kroil or mechanics friend)  Preferably a few days prior to removal.
 aluminum and steel do some physics stuff while sitting  for a long time

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

marsattacks

Well, guys you have all been very helpful.  The nuts were easily removed but I think some of that galvanic physics stuff has probably happened between the case and the mounting bolt/stud.  Liberal dosage of PB Blaster for three days and that thing will not back out any more than Rosie O'Donnell will back away from the chocolate sauce at an all you can eat sundae bar.  I guess I am going to have to hammer on that thing with abandon or maybe resort to drilling. The engine is seized as is and so maybe the case is shot anyway but I'd hate to ruin it by too much unleashed fury.  I think my last hope is to try to torch it for a bit and see if I can get it moving.  If anyone has any ideas I will attempt them.

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike

thrownchain

Heat and lube, heat and lube, repeat as needed. Not too much heat, but some. The expansion and contraction will help the lube seep in, lube both ends so the lube is traveling in both directions. And tap the end of the bolt once in a while also, it may move faster than you might believe.

Rain Man

All right, if tapping dosent work, get the 3# out.  This has been a very typical problem with the pentons that have been left out in the rain for err.... 20 years or so... So unfortunate.
 Good luck

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

marsattacks

Wow, this took a lot of nights after work dripping PB Blaster, tapping, etc.  I did finally use a sledge and a punch to get the mounting bolt moving, and even then it was really stubborn.  I made a concavity in the end of the mounting bolt but there was no other way.  Once I got the spacer out and the bolt all the way out, the engine still was a bit tricky to remove but your posts really helped. Best, John

It is not much to look at but it handles really well as a soapbox derby flyer! I sailed it down a hill near our house and if I were a little younger would take it to the local mountain bike park to scare the kids there. I'd have less travel than they do but if they got near my sprocket it would be Ben Hur all over again.

For those who will notice the buggered shift lever, that sucker was frozen solid onto the shift shaft and I didn't want to pound or pry on the shaft so I really had to brutalize the shifter mounting hole itself.

Mars Attacks!
79 space rock shox bike