Baja 1000 Information Needed

Started by firstturn, March 10, 2009, 08:35:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

I know this isn't a Penton request, but I thought I might reach someone who could help me.  I have the Monark 50cc that was raced in the 1972 Baja 1000 and am trying to restore it back to the race trim.  Anyone that has any pictures from old magazines or from where ever I would appreciate your help....oh and it did finish 6th overall in the 125 class.  Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tdthigpen

Bengt Gustavsson and Carl Berggren rode it to sixth in the 125 class in 27 hours and 48 minutes.I have a Cycle magazine with the race coverage but the only Monarch photo is a 125.

Thom Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days (21c)
Thomas Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days   1972 125 Six Days (2)

sixdazed

Hey Thom- in the Baja coverage does it show my friends the Watkins brothers( Checker Dingus' sons Donny+Eddie)finishing on an sl70 honda-3rd 125 i think?It might have been 73 they did that.The Late Donny Watkins Jr. was a factory Montessa rider and very talented mx and desert,brother Crazy Eddie was well,just Crazy Eddie and Dad Dingus was a 6 day veteran,Checkers MC member,and Deset race promoter (DRA)back in the day.I learned to ride from these guys pretty much.
 Sorry Ron didn't mean to hijack thread just wondering about that article.Thanks,Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

tdthigpen

Thats in the February 1974 issue so was the 73 race.They got a whole paragraph of the Watkins brother adventures finishing 4 hours after the 48hr deadline.Broke frame,140 miles in the wrong direction thanks to some Mexican directions.Ed said he pushed and paddled alot!!!What a ride that must have been.

Thom Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days (21c)
Thomas Thigpen

Jeff D

Ron,
I have email address for Carl Berggren.  I will shoot him a message and see what he can tell us.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

rocket randy

Hey Ron, I hope all is well, Ron is this another Monark 50 besides the one you got from me. By the way I talked with Trey Jorski and he will be at Diamond Don's If you want to get with him and find out all the history of that 50. Ron, Is one of the vintage ( world )  Good guy's if any of you have not met him. Later Ron

firstturn

Thanks to everyone who has helped with this post.

Thom,
  Thanks for the details as I didn't have the time.  You are correct about Carl and Brent being the riders.  I appreciate your help.

Ric,
  Hijacking is part of the fun of this site[8D].  Great story about the SL70.

Jeff,
  I would like to be in touch with Carl.  I have Frinds that know him, but I haven't visited with him. Thanks.

Randy,
  Looking forward to seeing Trey and he is truly one of the best riders of the 1970's period. People that raced against him remember him for being Fast and very Srong rider.  And you have a lot of History in MX.  This isn't the same Monark I bought from you.  Yours was the small wheel (Mini Bike) and the one raced in Baja was the full size 50cc model with 18" and 21" wheels.  Thanks for your help.

FOR MORE INFORMATION ON THE MONARK BAJA 50 BIKE CLICK ON THIS:  tHIS ARTICLE IS ALSO WHAT STARTED BE LOOKING FOR THIS BIKE.

http://www.vintagemonark.com/main9.htm

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Thanks for the emails of the site.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Jeff D

Did Carl B ever get in touch with you?  I sent him an email.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

firstturn

Jeff,
  Not yet.  Thanks for trying to help.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Jeff D

Ron,
Carl just sent me an email.  He's been out of country for the past month.  He thought his bike was not still in the US but would like to see some pictures.  I'll get you guys in touch with each other.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

firstturn

Jeff,
  Thanks for the follow up.  I will contact Carl and follow up with the evidence I have collected.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

firstturn

Still looking for pictures.  Thanks for any help.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tdthigpen

Ron this is the Monark in Baja looks kind of small for a 125.Very nice meeting you at Diamond Dons.I can send you the magazine if you want it.[/img]

Thom Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days (21c)
Thomas Thigpen

firstturn

Thom,
  Excellent.  I would like the magazine and I will send you a email off this site.  Thanks so much....Great meeting you at Don's.  Thanks Thom for the effort.  This is the first picture I have of a Monark at Baja.

Quiz:  Anyone guess what is in the backpack?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh