White Lightning weather update

Started by Mick Milakovic, March 11, 2009, 07:24:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

I've been watching the weather for the Fountain Inn, South Carolina cross country this weekend on the internet, and it looks like a messy run.  How about an update from Poggers in the area?

Mick
Mick

rfpotter

Here is the National Weather Service forecast for Fountain Inn. Looks damp. We have had over a week of early spring weather on this side of the mountains with highs near 80*, but looks like that has run out.

Today: Mostly sunny, with a high near 81. Southwest wind 6 to 11 mph becoming northwest.

Tonight: Increasing clouds, with a low around 47. North wind between 9 and 14 mph.

Thursday: A slight chance of rain after 2pm. Cloudy, with a high near 53. Northeast wind between 13 and 16 mph. Chance of precipitation is 20%.

Thursday Night: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a low around 38. Northeast wind around 13 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.

Friday: Rain. High near 42. Northeast wind between 11 and 14 mph. Chance of precipitation is 80%. New rainfall amounts of less than a tenth of an inch possible.

Friday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 41. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New rainfall amounts between a tenth and quarter of an inch possible.

Saturday: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a high near 51. Chance of precipitation is 70%.

Saturday Night: Rain likely. Cloudy, with a low around 44. Chance of precipitation is 60%.

Sunday: A chance of rain. Cloudy, with a high near 54. Chance of precipitation is 50%.

Sunday Night: A chance of rain. Mostly cloudy, with a low around 44. Chance of precipitation is 30%.

Patrick Houston
Cosby, Tennessee

Ernie Phillips

From Fudd's Famous Forecast:

Friday:    Chance of Dust 0.000%
Saturday:  Chance of Dust 0.000%
Sunday:    Chance of Dust 0.000%

Recommended:
http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41E4051NWML._AA280_.jpg

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

Mick Milakovic

Very funny ernie!  I like the KTM color of those boots!

Mick
Mick

Ernie Phillips

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

tmc3c

Weather here is suppose to be rain Fri. & Sat. and no rain Sun.The weather was supposed to be rain all this week and we have yet to see a sprinkle. Greg and I have been laying the course out and it is a great lay out. Ya'll come it will be worth the drive!

Ernie lets hope we don't see any of that stuff you have posted!!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

brian kirby

I dont care if it rains, wet and slick separates the men from the boys.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Larry Perkins

I respecttfully disagree, Brian.  I believe mud just adds to the luck factor and increases the odds that something will get torn up. Personally I work too hard and spend too many dollars on a restore to slog these great bikes around in the mud if it is dodgeable.  I will pass on this one and get mine in under better conditions.  If you consider me a boy for not liking the mud you are mistaken.  It is age and a want to put in the best ride and hopefully be victorious when the conditions were at the best for me and my fellow competitor.

Larry P

tmc3c

I hate that you won't be coming Larry.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

Me too, Thomas.  I would love to see you and Greg.  I just don't want to drive 14 hours to slog around in the mud and tear stuff up.

Larry P

brian kirby

Larry, I understand where you are coming from and I dont blame you one bit for sitting out a wet race. Mud is hard on any motorcycle, and as we all know parts for these bikes are not getting easier to find. I was really poking a little fun at those (who shall remain nameless) who are fretting about the weather even though they know they are going no matter what the weather is.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Mick Milakovic

I'll be staying home also.  Some of my best rides back in the day were rain-soaked muddy runs, but I agree with Larry on this one.  Another factor is money; my wife lost her job two weeks ago and it's hard to justify my pleasure during her pain.  Hopefully I'll see some of you guys in Texas in three weeks.  Enjoy the day, and keep it sideways!

Mick
Mick

tmc3c

Still no rain here. Friday morning.

Mick, We will miss having you with us. Maybe next year.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rfpotter

Didn't mean to spook people with my post. It has been my experience that the NWS site works about as well as anyone's around here, but it is still weather prediction and we all know how well that works out most of the time.
I am about 90 miles NW, just barely across the NC line, and although it has cooled to the 50's, we have not seen a drop of rain. Also since we are recovering from the 2007 and early 2008 drought, the ground here does not hold water long enough to get boggy.

Patrick

Ernie Phillips

Thomas,  Christopher and I will be there, arriving this evening.  Looking forward to meeting your and thanks to you, Greg, Al and others for working so hard to provide a quality event.  We can't control the weather but we can prepare for it.

DO you fear the force of the wind,  
The slash of the rain?  
Go face them and fight them,  
Be savage again.  
Go hungry and cold like the wolf,        
    Go wade like the crane:  
The palms of your hands will thicken,  
The skin of your cheek will tan,  
You 'll grow ragged and weary and swarthy,  
    But you 'll walk like a man!

Still dry here in Chattanooga,

Ernie P.