First 2009 ISDT Qualifier Warm-Up at Combs

Started by tlanders, April 24, 2009, 05:36:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tlanders

It's almost here and we have more pre-entered than ever before. I am still stoked about the opportunity to enter a Six Day event (spread over three weekends) with gold, silver, and bronze Medals and team Vases awarded to those who enter all three weekends and earn them. If you miss Combs, you are out of the running for the Six Day awards. Of course if can only make one or two of the ISDT weekends, you will still earn medals, team vases and points for the events you attend.

You don't have to pre-enter to enter, just show up - registration starts at 4:00PM on Friday May 1. There is a $10/day post entry fee and I hope that won't stop you from coming. If you decide to come, please email me this weekend ([email protected]) with your requests for riding partners and/or team members so I can get you on the minute you want with the people you want. I just received all the pre-entries from AHRMA and will be assigning rows this weekend.

Come a day early and ride the trails all you want. Check out the details of the ride at http://www.ahrma.org/Z-2009/Nationals/Cross_Country/Previews/09_rnd7_cc_combs_preview.htm .

I am looking forward to another fantastic weekend at Combs and hope to see you there - this will be our 6th year.

Teddy

Larry Perkins

Weather is showing a chance of rain and or thunderstorms everyday from Monday through Sunday next week in Combs.  Sounds like Carolina all over again.:(

When forecasts are so solidly gloomy for an event why is a reschedule not an option?  It was the same kind of certainty for Carolina.  Would not a reschedule be a better option than a bad race and the points farce of riders getting points for a race they did not do as in Carolina?  Curious what others think? Now I know a reschedule is hard on the promoter but how hard on the membership is a fiasco like Carolina where the course turned horrible for the participants, the Novices got stonewalled and came up empty, and the rest of us that passed on going and were seeking National points got pencil whipped by an on the spot rule change decided by 3 people that rode the race?

Larry P

brian kirby

The thing about rain that will be different for Combs is the format. The trail at Carolina held up well for 4 of the 5 laps. At Combs we will only go through the trail twice all weekend. Also, the soil at Combs will not beat up like the softer stuff at Carolina. Last year it rained for weeks, stopped late Thursday before the race, and everything was fine except "THE creek" was a little high. I am not looking forward to racing in the rain, but I'll do it.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Larry Perkins

I am glad you don't mind the mud Brian.  You are a trooper.  Not me.  The difference this time is it will not quit Thursday and have Friday and some wind to dry the trail some.  It will continue to get wetter all the way through the grass track.  Ever grass track on wet grass?

Larry P

brian kirby

Well, I'm not looking forward too it Larry. My first ever Vintage race was Barber '06 which started out as saturated grass and ended up 8" deep muck by the end of the day. When we started practice the wet grass was so slick it was like riding on ice. I would prefer not to race in the mud/rain but I think as long as its not dangerous we should race rain or shine.

Just for grins, here is a picture of Barber '06 in the Open Age class with me following POG's own Chicago Jerry.

I have to admit, I am much less concerned about riding my Canned Ham in muck like that than I am my Penton. Parts for Canned Hams are so cheap and easy to find its almost like a modern bike, while as you know better than I Penton parts are not as plentiful.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

tlanders

WOW, an opportunity to REALLY accomplish something!!! Earn the Six Days awards at the end of the year after three weekends of racing including one (or more?) that may be wet!!! Anybody remember the Reunion ride in the Berkshires in 2003? Wet and immeasureably memorable!!!! You felt like you actually did something when it was over!!! Also, Pentons were designed to EXCELL in wet weather.

Teddy

Larry Perkins

Ted,

Once again no discussion on any idea of compromise.  Wet or dry-good or bad AHRMA does not want to look at another idea-only to do what they want & how they want.  It is not really a member organization!

Pentons were designed to do wet well and they are tough bikes.  They were also designed in a time of $50 pistons, $25 chains, $10 entries, and 60 cents a gallon gas to get there.

Now pistons are $200, chains $100, $100 for entry, and $2 a gallon gas.  AHRMA's response PRICELESS!

Larry P

tlanders

Larry,

I truly believe that trying to reschedule a race that took 3 months to get scheduled to begin with would not be in the best interest of most of the riders who are planning to come. Cancelling plane fares, rescheduling vacation days, reworking rider pools, reborrowing bikes, all make it very hard to rearrange a race weekend.

Nobody else has emailed me or called me about not coming because of the possibility of rain. Why not call me or email me and talk to me about these things in person instead of posting it in a public forum format? Do you really think that is how to get things done?

Teddy

PS You are right, it is not "really a membership organization" because over 90% of the members don't vote for the board of directors. If everyone or even a majority of the members would vote, things would go the way the members wanted. The current members must be happy however, because they don't vote and would rather let just a few people decide everything for them.

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by tlanders

PS You are right, it is not "really a membership organization" because over 90% of the members don't vote for the board of directors. If everyone or even a majority of the members would vote, things would go the way the members wanted. The current members must be happy however, because they don't vote and would rather let just a few people decide everything for them.

Quoted for truth.

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Larry Perkins

Ted,

Yes I think putting things out there in the public is a good idea.  It is how it is SUPPOSED to work in America.  Unlike AHRMA, where it is done behind the scenes in the Good Old Boy way.  When things are discussed it becomes easier to see what is right.  So instead of maligning someone in a mean spirited way explaining the bad reasons of cancelling like you did here is better, in my opinion.  Listening is always good.

By the way if you really believe that the majority of current AHRMA members are happy you and AHRMA are about to get a rude awakening.

Larry P

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by brian kirby

Well, I'm not looking forward too it Larry. My first ever Vintage race was Barber '06 which started out as saturated grass and ended up 8" deep muck by the end of the day. When we started practice the wet grass was so slick it was like riding on ice. I would prefer not to race in the mud/rain but I think as long as its not dangerous we should race rain or shine.

Just for grins, here is a picture of Barber '06 in the Open Age class with me following POG's own Chicago Jerry.

I have to admit, I am much less concerned about riding my Canned Ham in muck like that than I am my Penton. Parts for Canned Hams are so cheap and easy to find its almost like a modern bike, while as you know better than I Penton parts are not as plentiful.

Brian

'73 Berkshire

That picture looks like " Let the FUN begin".
I can even see BERMS to lean against,.
And you Baby Brian are in shooting direction,..[B)];)
COMBS will be great,rain or shine we will be there and get as much fun as possible out of it.
Our trip is planned,organised,the trailer is loaded,the wife is talking about swinefluh,..we may not be able to get back into Canada because of it,so we will find another event somewhere and go for MORE FUN.(Perfect excuse,..)Ohj live is great...
Some people always complain,..buhhhhhhh:D:D:D

Helmut"Speedy"Clasen
 Ontario Canada
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
http://picasaweb.google.com/vindurospeedy
3 x Sachs MC-GS 250-7A
1 x Hercules 350-7A 76
2 x Hercules 250-7A 76
Zuendapp 125 GS 72-73

Ernie Phillips

Defending Combs 2008 Team Champions, Phillips Vintage, will not be competing this year due to anchor man Wendell "bad to the bone" Phillips' broken leg.  However, a new team of Berkshire riders has formed:

Flying Squirrels – "You gotta be NUTS to follow our ruts!"
Generalisimo Flyin' Brian Kirby, Kid Christopher, and the Worm

I hear there is another team with a couple of Penton riders,
Team Tortoise – "Better late than Never."
Ed "the ankle" Hart, Steely Bill, Nimble Nigel

Teddy, Looking forward to seeing you and Rosemary.  Thanks for all you do to make Combs such a fun event.  Whoever wins the Six Days Team competition will have something special to brag about.   And, The Flying Squirrels are ...

Travel safe guys.

Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN
Ernie P.
Chattanooga, TN

pakala

Ernie,
 Team "California Crew" Yucca-Bean Yucca-Stew is coming after you.
 Surf&Turf Murph,Longboard Mikie,Moon-doggie style Pablito. We be rollin in to Combs hangin TEN on a midwest Tornado!!WATCH OUT!!
                 Pablo(socal)

brian kirby

Pablo, that actually looks like a pretty strong team. See you Friday mid morning some time!

Brian

'73 Berkshire
Brian

Dwight Rudder

Teddy,  Debbie and myself plan on attending.  We look forward to seeing you and Rosemary on Friday.  OH, Be sure to have clean Porta Cans !  
Dwight