un painted pipe

Started by tvrc18, April 27, 2009, 04:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvrc18

I saw this post quite a while back but unable to find it in the search. If I remember correctly they said to use ATF on the un painted to pipe to keep that works look and it will keep the pipe from rusting. Anyone remember this or did I dream this?
Terry

crash carden

Hello Terry, I don't know about the ATF, but I do know that Dupli-Color paint make a 1200 degree clear coat engine paint that works very well on pipes. All my experince with their products has been great. If you use it of course like all paints the secret is a clean dry oil free surface. Then apply 1 or 2 thin coats then let the paint cure in the sun for a day or two. Then I run my bike for 10 or 20 minutes,then let it cool down. I Do this a couple of times then run the bike the first few hours in dry conditions no mud no water. This allows the clear coat or paint to cure good and become hard. I have found this process to work well for me on all my pipes and engines weather clear coat or black or silver hi-temp paint.It allows the finsh to cure properly and look good for a long time even after mud,water and hard riding in all conditions. Dupli-Color paint has worked best for me. Hope this helps you out, good luck. Crash Carden
                        :D "Save a Horse ride a Penton" [:o)]

skiracer

WD-40, or another thin oil would work better than ATF, plus, the smell is much sweeter!
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa