Mark Mederski Resigns from the AMHF

Started by firstturn, April 29, 2009, 05:51:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

April 29, 2009

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Phone: (877) 877-8969
E-mail: [email protected]

Mark Mederski resigns as American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation executive director

PICKERINGTON, Ohio -- The American Motorcyclist Association (AMA) has announced that Mark Mederski has resigned as executive director of the American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation (AMHF), which operates the AMA's Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum.

"I would like to personally thank Mark for his years of service at the helm of the AMA's Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum," said AMA President and CEO Rob Dingman. "Mark has a great passion for the heritage of motorcycling, and his in-depth understanding of the history of the sport was a valued asset."

Mederski oversaw a number of major exhibits at the AMA's Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, including "A Century of Indian," "Heroes of Harley-Davidson," "Motocross America" and "Motostars: Celebrities + Motorcycles." Smaller exhibits showcased a host of personalities from the world of motorcycling, including Craig Vetter, Dick Mann, Malcolm Smith and Arlen Ness, along with milestone bits of history, such as "BSA's Greatest Daytona," "Dawn of the Superbike" and "BMW, Mastery of Speed."

Dingman noted that Mederski's departure will not slow a number of initiatives under way to expand the Museum's presence and further cement the institution as the country's leading steward of motorcycling history.

"This is a vibrant and exciting time at the AMA's Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum," Dingman said. "This year, we are refocusing our spotlight on the members of the AMA's Motorcycle Hall of Fame. This will not only involve moving the Hall of Fame to the facility's top floor, it also includes a 2009 Hall of Fame induction ceremony like none other in the Museum's history, where recipients will be honored before their peers and industry stalwarts.

"This year also marks the 85th anniversary of the Association, and we are celebrating the occasion at this summer's AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days, where we will also be honoring BSA as the featured marque," Dingman said. "All proceeds from AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days go to support the Museum, and we're looking forward to this year being one of the largest and most exciting we've ever had."

AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days includes North America's largest motorcycle swap meet, bike shows, a commemorative parade, and two Classic Clubs honoring Honda's groundbreaking CB750 and CBX. Set for July 24-26 at the Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course in Lexington, Ohio, 2009 AMA Vintage Motorcycle Days will also feature the inaugural AMA Racing Vintage Grand Championships, where vintage racers will compete for national championships, No. 1 plates, and the AMA Track Racing and AMA Off-Road Vintage Grand National Championships.

"All of this comes on the heels of a $1 million Museum endowment fund that the AMA Board of Directors established in February," Dingman added. "The interest earned from this endowment will support and grow the AMA's Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum for years to come, and Museum supporters can contribute to the fund to help us do even more."

Mederski was named executive director of the AMHF in December 1999, following 17 years as the Association's vice president of marketing. During Mederski's time in marketing, membership increased from 130,000 to 240,000.

AMA Board of Directors Chairman Stan Simpson, who is also the Acting Chairman of the American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation Board of Directors, added: "On behalf of the AMA Board of Directors and the American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation Board of Directors, we wish Mark the best in his next professional challenge."

About the American Motorcyclist Association
Since 1924, the AMA has promoted and protected the motorcycling lifestyle. AMA members come from all walks of life and they navigate many different routes on their journey to the same destination: freedom on two wheels. As the world's largest motorcycle organization with nearly 300,000 members, the AMA advocates for motorcyclists' interests in the halls of local, state and federal government, the committees of international governing organizations and the court of public opinion. Through member clubs, promoters and partners, the AMA sanctions more motorsports competition events than any other organization in the world. Through its Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum, the AMA preserves the heritage of motorcycling for future generations. For more information, visit //www.AmericanMotorcyclist.com.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Kip Kern

I for one can say that Mark is a "First Rate" guy.  I have enjoyed his friendship and professionalism throughout the past several years at the AMA museum.  I wish him well for the future, and hope he is going to be working in and around vintage bikes.  He will be truely missed:(

Jeff D

I wonder what the real reason is behind Mark's departure.  The AMA has run off a number of long-time, dedicated employees in the past year or so.  Could Mark be the latest "axee"?

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

firstturn

Jeff,
  I have no idea, but 27 years is a long time of dedicated work.  Mark is a great guy, but I will say that when the new president took over my donations both cash and historic racing items stopped going to the aaa museum....I mean ama museum.  I have encouraged all my Friends who in the past have made donations to STOP.  I do not feel that the Museum needs to under the rule of aaa(ama).  That's it, back to work in the shop on a Penton.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Paul Danik

I have had the opportunity over the years to work with Mark numerous times as we would prepare for our yearly POG meeting that is held at the Museum each February, as well as at several other POG functions that took place on the Museum grounds.  I have to laugh as I think of how Museum volunteer Ric Snyder and I would discuss how much more meeting room we would have if we could just slide a display this way and possibly shift a gift shop wall that way just a bit, but surely Mark would never let us do that!  Usually after a little bit of discussion, Mark would be on the floor with his shoulder to a wall section or display, asking as he groaned, if that was far enough...then there was the POG wedding at one of our meetings....Mark never knew what we would want to do next, but he always was a great sport about it all.

Mark was always quick to compliment all of you POGGERS for being so enthusiastic and ready to come together to display your Pentons and have a great time together when ever the chance arose, but in the end it is surely us who owe Mark the compliments.  Mark's constant help, understanding and friendship, will always be appreciated.

On behalf of the Penton Owners Group, thank you Mark for all that you have done for us over the years.

Paul

Cliff Cook

Mark was the foremost face with which I identified at AMA and later the museum.  Very accomodating, and obviously serious about progress for his organization.  He will be missed and then some.  Hide and watch after this.

OhioTed

Mark Mederski is one of the most gracious and professional people in the industry.  During the time that I was fortunate enough to be exposed to his efforts on behalf of the Heritage Museum, I found him to unfailingly approachable, accomodating, cooperative, and receptive.  Thanks in no small part to Mark's postive attitude toward vintage motorcycling enthusiasts, the Penton Owners Group has enjoyed the great good fortune to hold our February meeting right smack dab in the middle of the Museum and its fabulous displays.  That's akin to a group of history enthusiasts meeting in the Smithsonian.  It doesn't get any better than that!  Thanks, Mark.  You are a class act.

Jack Penton

Ron I am disappointed that your opinion of the American Motorcycle Hall of Fame and Hall of Fame Museum is so negative. When you voiced those opinions on the Penton Owners Group forum I felt obligated to support an entity that I am passionate about and dedicate time to.

I would like to add some insight from my point of view.

The mission of the American Motorcycle Heritage Foundation is to preserve the history of American Motorcycling. The American Motorcycle Hall of Fame and the American Motorcycle Hall of Fame Museum are a large part of that mission. I feel this is a very honorable mission and the AMHF is providing a vital long term service on behalf of the motorcycling community. The museum is a wonderful entertainment and the hall of fame inductions ceremony has evolved into a very special event. Those that have enjoyed either can back me up on both of those.

The AMHF has a board of directors that is entrusted with the responsibility of guiding the foundation.
I am proud to be on that board and serve with these incredibly talented individuals.
Bill Baird, 8 time national Enduro champ and founding member of the AMHF
Chris Carter, founder of Motion Pro
Don Rosene, 30+ year motorcycle dealership owner and Penton Imports employee
Eddie Cole, founder of Answer Racing Products
Jeff Heininger, founder of Heininger Holdings and son of Tom H., founder of Webco Distributing
John Parham, owner of JP Cycles and the National Motor Cycle Museum
Jon Westling, president of Boston University, lifetime motorcyclist
Mark Mendell, President and Cochairman of Cannon Design
Mike Vaughan, former editor of Dealer News, CEO of Triumph MC America, Director of Marketing Kawasaki
Ozzie Scofield, former CEO of 3 national and international Reinsurance companies, lifetime motorcyclist
Ron Ribolzi, GM Mungenast Acura, leading member of Missouri Mudders
Tim Parker, owner Parker House Publishing (motorcycle books)
Tom White, founder of White Brothers
Craig Vetter, founder of Vetter Designs (Vetter fairings)

With this quality of board I would like to believe that the decisions about how to manage the AMHF are not taken lightly or easily misguided.

The AMHF is not a part of the AMA but it does receive much funding each year from the AMA. The proceeds of the Vintage Motorcycle Days represents a large portion of the income that makes this possible. Donations large and small from friends of motorcycling enthusiasts are essential to further the mission of preserving our motorcycling history.

It is my sincere wish that the vintage community comes to this years VMD to enjoy everything that it has to offer and by doing so supports the American Motorcycle Hall of Fame and Museum.

Ron I do not know how much time you spend with Stan Simpson or Rob Dingman discussing the tremendous challenges that the board of directors and CEO of the AMA face on a daily basis. I can tell you that a vast majority of those internal issues will never be disclosed, as they should not. Assuming that we never actually know all of the circumstances it is impossible to give an accurate judgment of their actions.

For those that are interested in knowing who is currently guiding the AMA the board of directors is listed on the AMA website. Many of the names should be familiar but it is enlightening to Google them individually. Likewise the AMHF board members are an interesting Google.

Jack Penton

t20sl

Jack:
  While I do not agree with many things the AMA has done recently, I realize that since I am not directly involved or working for the AMA there is no way that I can know the reasons for recent actions.
  However, I believe the "behind the scenes" information should be made more public where feasible by the AMA. It is in the AMA's interest to do so.  In government if it wasn't for the press investigating we would all be voting blindly.  I hope the AMA actually becomes much more transparent so members (we who pay their salaries) can be knowledgeable about what's going on instead of having to guess and listen to a few insiders.
  I do disagree though with anyone who tries and negeatively influence someone elses membership or donations. We need to make up our own mind and do accordingly.  Let everyone else do their own thing.
Ted Atkinson

Larry Perkins

Jack,

Thanks for your post.  The AMA has done a lot for me as a motocyclist over the past 40 years and while some of their new policies are not liked there are most certainly reasons for every decision.  Some of them have been chastised as money grubbing.  But hey what is wrong with turning a profit?  

As far as the AMA museum goes every motorcyclist should go there at least once in their life to wonder at how cool it is and say again and again, "I remember that."  It is also a place to see the names of those that we have revered over the years like yourself and your Father.  Thanks again for your comments!

My Brother in spirit Ron, is passionate in his love for people and bikes.  He is much like me in that you don't have to wonder what he thinks.  I love that in him.  He is also very loyal and I think some of the AMA's changes have sent some of his very good friends down the road.  I truly believe this is where he is coming from.  From the side of loyalty and friendship.

Larry P

tmc3c

Larry,
  I belive you have hit the nail on the head about our brother Ron! He is true blue and will stand with you through thick and thin, this is why I am proud to call him my brother!

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

You are so right Thomas.  He has always stood by me and from time to time that was like trying to stand in a hurricane.:D  He is as good as they get in my book.  He knows that but it feels good to tell the world once in a while.

Larry P

firstturn

Jack,
  I will address you first since I consider you a Friend.  

"Ron I am disappointed that your opinion of the American Motorcycle Hall of Fame and Hall of Fame Museum is so negative. When you voiced those opinions on the Penton Owners Group forum I felt obligated to support an entity that I am passionate about and dedicate time to."

If this opinion in any way hurts our Friendship then I guess I just need to stop voicing my opinion.  If we need to discuss this any further please just PM (email) me.

I am happy you feel obligated to support your idea of a good operation(organization), BUT I will take note that you feel that a lot of the people that view this site are not aware that all disputes and business has to behind closed doors.  Ted makes a great point about ama being transparent....but there again if you think that I and others are not aware of the legalities during negotiations need to be held in secret you are wrong.
  The following statement is not at all looking down on any board members so please read it as constructive conversation or if you will I am making a point that a lot of people feel and never have the oportunity to express because they a "The Little Guys".   The people that you hold up as proof of the great board seems to be missing something of which I call the "ordinary person".  Besides Bill Baird and Ron Riboliz I see the same ole big guns or big knowledge (as in don't take yourself too seriouly as no one else does) Mentality.
  I am going to end this now and I would appreciate no one siding with me as I have always been one who stands up for what I think is right and if I am wrong I am big enought to admit it and I will.  And if anyone doesn't think that I haven't been involved at the highest level of behind the scene discussions on Racing and other problems involving ama as an employee of one of the major Factory ...well I have.  I was mentored by a person that received the highest award the ama gives to anyone, and He would be disappointed if I didn't stand up for my thoughts.
  In closing I will point out that John Penton, Mike Lewis and other Greats have not always sided with the ama and other related organizations.  I guess I should consider just not relating my opinions on this site.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Jack Penton

Ron,

Of coarse this does not change our friendship. Why would it?
I expressed my opinion and I really don't feel I have anything to add.

Have a great day!

Jack

DKWRACER

Believe in voices only? There has been only one motorcycle, it is declared at the top of our masthead.
Some posts are a cause, for pain....Perhaps a cause, to endure.

Ever-lasting?.................a Penton Podium.............

It is ours "forever"

I am in mood for a melody..............

http://cone.viawest.net/users/dkwracer/savetwo/
Thomas Brosius