1984 KTM 125 MC

Started by rob w, April 30, 2009, 11:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Hi,
Does anyone have, ride, or race one of these ?
Just looking for any comments (+ or -) about this model.
I picked one up yesterday.
Thanks,
Bob

Larry Perkins

Bob,

I raced one and have some motor and carb parts mostly used for it.  They were fast but the cranks were a little high wear.  In used ones pay close attention to the case waterpump area.

Larry P

sixdazed

Rob,I was "loaned" 1 in the late 80's/early 90's.(actually it was abandoned at a shop i worked at so i borrowed it!).It was a neat bike to ride-fun-and competitive in desert and grand prix races at that time.I don't know about mx because by that time i was done with moto!
           Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

G Ellis

Rob I have 2 and 1/2 of these bikes. One is ready to ride, one is all complete needs rebuilt. One is together no motor in the frame, Two motors that need to be rebuilt. This bike is faster and lighter than my  1978 GS6 175. Puts out more power than my 175. Wieght is under 200 pounds. Bike is a hoot to ride, the bike is as close as a modern bike as you can get. IF YOU DON'T WANT YOURS,I WOULD LIKE A CHANCE AT IT. Thanks goes out to my cousin Dennis. If you need more info give me a call 217 260 0237  Later Gary

rob w

Thanks gentlemen,
Cool ! - good reports.
Even though I normally like big bores, I've had a desire for this model for quite some time.
Gary, I remember when Dennis came up to Michigan to pick up one of those that you have.
This one is original besides the rear tire, and handlebars. And never been raced.
I've now spent about 8 hours in disassembly, inspection, and cleaning. Really, the only sad parts I've found were the rusty spoke nipples. The radiators are a bit tweaked, but I believe they'll come around. Shock has dampening both ways, but leaks a very small amount of oil when I jump up and down on it. I suppose it should be rebuilt. Can anyone recommend someone to do the shock work ?
The two models I'm preparing to ride this year are this bike, and a '72 Jackpiner.
Thanks again,
Bob

Larry Perkins

Rob,

On the rebuild check with Lee at Letko Cycles in Kansas City.  He has done them in the past.  I might have some wheels.  If you are going to race 125's again remove the throttle and install a toggle switch.:D

Larry P

G Ellis

Bob if you need any parts books I can send you a copy. Just make sure if you take the head off that you use the 1mm head gaskets. Email me your phone number and we can talk. I have some extra parts. Also if you can find someone that will rebuild the rear shocks, I would like to know,. I have 4 rears to get rebuilt, and have exhausted eveyone I know. WP, Drew Smith,KTM Parts with no luck. Later Gary

evomx244

Richard at MX-Tech rebuilt a 82 WP CR 480 shock for me last year, He did a great job of fixing somebody else's screw up (the first guy I sent it to for a rebuild) Richard used to work at White Brother's in the 80's when they were the US distributor, so he knows his stuff. He was very reasonable on price.

http://www.mx-tech.com/

MX-TECH Corporate West Coast
5607 N. 53rd Ave
Glendale, AZ 85301
Phone: 623-463-3488
Fax: 623-463-6555

rob w

Thanks Evomx244 !

Gary, I do need a parts manual. Now sending my ph. # - thanks.

evomx244

I finally found a 84 125 MX version. Craigslist mostly complete 100 bucks. Who is the 84 125 expert here ? I'll be needing parts, I think I can fix the clutch cover but missing the kick starter. (I just missed one on ebay)
Scott

brian kirby

Sorry Scott, I'm the one that got that kickstarter.

Gary Ellis is the '84 125 expert, he has several of them and I got my bike from him. Just so you know, a large amount of parts are still available new from KTM, body parts, pistons, cranks, full gasket sets, a lot more than I ever thought they would have. It aint cheap, some of it is extremely expensive (piston kits are $324), but at least KTM still has it.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

evomx244

Brian no problem I should have bid higher. I've already contacted Andre about the pistons 120 Euro about 176.00 us. Clutch cover is no longer available. Did you the cylinder also ?

http://www.enduroklassiker.at/

brian kirby

I had my dealer check a bunch of numbers and they showed the clutch cover still available I hope they didnt make a mistake. Its $130, but it showed in stock in Austria. If you go to KTM Cycle Hutt, go to the "search by part number" page and enter 501 which is the prefix for the 84-86 engine it gives you a long list of parts that are still available.

http://cyclehuttktm.com/FicheFinderNew/PartsSearch.aspx

I took numbers from that list, pistons, cranks, seats, etc and had my local KTM dealer check availability and everything I checked that was a good number on that CycleHutt page was in stock in Austria. I guess I may have to actually order some stuff to find out if they are right and the parts are still available.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

brian kirby

I didnt get the cylinder, I only bid on the kickstart assembly. My cylinder is good, but I have decided that you can use an '87-'97 piston if you have a cylinder than needs to be replated. The only difference in the '87-'97 piston is its .25mm larger in diameter, if you have one replated they can take out the cylinder and replate to match that slightly larger piston. The '87-'97 pistons are readily available new from Wiseco. I plan to get a second cylinder and have this done when I need a new cylinder in the future.

Also, I have not looked at it, but it is not impossible that the later '01-up 125 piston which went back to 54mm instead of 54.25mm could be used in the '84-'86.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

evomx244

Brian-
 I believe your correct about the newer piston. I remember talking with Tom Eidam at Casey a few years ago. I believe he was using a later piston. This could be the solution for my cylinder, looks like it lost it's piston skirt and put some fairly deep grooves in it. I planning on taking it to Carlson Bogan (He's the best locally) and see what he can come up with.
Scott