Ignition for 250 Harescrambler

Started by Greg Settles, June 23, 2009, 08:43:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Settles

What is the best ignition for a 1974 250 Harescrambler. I plan on riding in the woods most of the time. I would like to have one that makes the bike easier to start.

Greg

G Ellis

Greg I would use a MZB from Penton Racing if you are going to run lights. If no lights PVL works great. You can find the phone number under the supplier list on the home page. Hope this will help Gary

brian kirby

If you are going to use it in the woods I would say go with the MZB over the PVL. I love the light internal rotor flywheel on Sachs bikes and on my 440 Maico (which has large crankshaft mass) but I think the PVL is too light for a 250 or above KTM engined Penton unless it is going to be strictly a motocross bike. Chicago Jerry was kind enough to let me borrow his 250 at Marion last weekend which had a PVL. It was fast but quite a handful in the woods, it needed more flywheel weight.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian

Greg Settles

Brian:

We were at Marion last weekend I did not get to run I hurt my back on Friday morning before the races. We had a great time every one was really friendly. Can you give me more information on the flywheel weight issue. I have a 250 and a 175 which bike do you think would be the best in the woods.

Greg

G Ellis

Greg when you buy a PVL you can get different wieghts. I would use a 12oz wieght. Later Gary

brian kirby

Quotequote:Originally posted by Greg Settles

Can you give me more information on the flywheel weight issue. I have a 250 and a 175 which bike do you think would be the best in the woods.

Flywheel weight (actually the total weight of the rotating crankshaft assembly but the flywheel weight is the part you can change) affects an engines power delivery. A heavier flywheel makes an engine smoother and less abrupt so it is better in the woods, heavier flywheel weight also makes an engine harder to stall. The slicker conditions are the more a heavy flywheel will help, conversely the better the traction is the less critical it is. I got used to Jerry's bike during the hour but at first it was a struggle and I tend to prefer lighter flywheel weights than most so I would say if you are going to get a PVL get one of the three brass weights Gary mentioned. There are three sizes and the bolt right on to the rotor so you can quickly change flywheel weight.

On the 250 or 175 I dont think you can go wrong with either one, but I prefer 175s they can really do it all.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian