125 Sachs Kickstarter

Started by bbeck3100, July 05, 2009, 11:42:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbeck3100

The 125 I just purchased is a CMF, built 11/71. 5A motor. It has a kickstarter like I've never seen. It is a Sachs kicker as evidenced by the top folding part, but is longer than usual at 7/12 ins. long. It also has an 8mm pinch bolt rather than the usual 6mm. Its in good shape, tight, not worn. chrome good. It appears to be a genuine Sachs item as evidenced by the folding mechanism and the finish. Can anyone tell me what this is and would anyone be willing to trade for the short style? This kicker would appear to be good for a racebike/rider as the longer length gives more leverage for starting. I'm building a show bike and am in need of the shorter style. Thanks for any help/info.

Blair Beck
71 125 sixday CMF
73 250 Hare Scrambler

Lew Mayer

I'd be interested. Email me off-site: [email protected]

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

bbeck3100

Thanks, but my Six-days owner once removed has graciously agreed to swap for the shorter type.

Thanks Again,
Blair

tooclose racing

HEY!! I need a kickstarter for my 125 6B motor to get my season going in a few weeks.  Otherwise Lew is just going to kill me on those dead-engine CC starts in the Northeast series.

Money is no object.  Wait...I take that statement back.

Broke mine at next to last round last year.  Just too much strength in my leg I guess.  [:p]Can I use either style (straight or bend) on my CMF/6B?

Thanks,

Dr. Robert

joe novak

I have heard that the kickstarters for Sachs Penton 100 and 125 (with vertical split cases) have the same spline as those for the early Penton 175 (small shaft).  Different kickstarters were used on several different models of motorcycles which used the Sachs Penton engine (ie.100 and 125), such as DKW, Monark, Sachs motorcycle, Tyran(?)and maybe a few others .   I do not know much about the Sachs Hercules engines which have horizontally split cases.  There are also aftermarket kickstarters and re-manufactured (re-pops).   Your non-stock kickstarter could have been from a donor bike.  Any style of kickstarter will work as long as there are no obstructions, such as the frame.  I understand that Al B. has nice kickstarters (and other Penton parts) for sale.   Blair, you might want to log onto the POG site which describes each Penton model year.  Your's sounds like the first year for the CMF which would make it 1972 Penton Six Days; manufactured in Nov. 1971.  I previously owned one of these, except it had the Sachs 100 6A engine.  I would love to see a photo posted on the site of your new Penton!  joe

dennis foley

bob, i might a extra one, i will check when i get home.

VICTOR MONZ

$45, plus shipping for the correct kickstarter on a Sachs 6B. No rubber included.

[email protected]

victor

dennis foley

bob, give me a call, 607-844-9819

tooclose racing

Thank you to Victor and Dennis for responding.  Since Dennis is just down the road up here in upstate NY, AND he has beer in his fridge, I'm going to take him up on his offer, Mr. Monz.  

Having said that Victor, I hope you will indulge me in the future (and possibly this summer) and let me stop by to say hello to you and look at YOUR collection. And your Pit Crew. :D  I have family in LA that I am waayy overdue to visit, and think a sidetrip to your 'hood (or heaven forbid a local race if it lined up) just might be the ticket to keep me by bike habit at bay.

Again, thank you.

Lew Mayer

I might have to look into modifying a Jackpiner kickstarter to tuck in better for my Wassell.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

VICTOR MONZ

Anytime, you're always welcome.

Victor