problem with cold engine starts

Started by skiracer, July 17, 2009, 02:28:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

skiracer

I am having a problem starting one of my 250's when the engine is cold.  It has a new plug and a Bing carb.  I tickle the hell out of it, without gettting the plug wet.  I tried kicking with no throttle, a little throttle,, etc.  Once I do get it started, it runs fine, and starts with one of two kicks after that.  Any answers out there?  Thanks, James
1976 250 MC5 Original Owner
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

G Ellis

Do you have a choke on the carb? Later Gary

skiracer

Hey Gary, no the Bing only has the tickler on it, thanks.  James
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

Big Mac

With some it's not the need to tickle more, better to tickle longer. Hold it down and count to 5 after it starts dribbling, putting a proper flood up in the carb. A Maico guy I know plugs the side breather tubes with his thumb while tickling.

You can always try the old lay-it-over on its side trick, will help get some gas up where it needs to be when cold. May also help to set your float height for higher fuel level in the bowl...if too low, makes it hard to start. Good luck.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

skiracer

1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

pketchum

Try this:
1.  Lay the bike over and tickle your Bing to flood the float bowl.  When it floods, open the throttle to allow some of that gas to reach the crankcase.
2.  Press your thumb on the kill switch so the bike won't start and press the kickstarter through with your foot 4-5 times with the throttle closed.
3.  Remove your thumb on the kill switch and I will practically GUARANTEE the bike will start on the next firm kick you give it.

Jerry Casciero from the Atlantic VMX region showed me this trick and it's worked very, very well for me ever since.

Phil
(still looking for my stolen '79 KTM 250 and my '74 Hodaka Super Rat, and my trailer)
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Rain Man

Hey Phil, thats the way we still start those old flat head Harleys !!!

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

skiracer

Hey Phil,

thanks for the advice.  However, that does not solve the real problem.  Why isn't the bike starting as it should?  This carb was on another bike, and that bike always started on the third kick.  Could it be a timing issue?  If it is the carb's float level, where can I get the spec, and how do I reset it?  Thanks, James
1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa

tomale

It is probably not a timing issue if the spark plug never gets wet!
My guess is that the carb is not in as good of shape as it should be for that particular bike. Bing's wear out really fast, The Bing needs to be rebuilt every year. Not my idea, it is what I was told by Bing International... If the Jet needle is worn out and or the slide is worn, It will make the starting of the bike difficult because it will not draw fuel correctly... I always know my carb needs to be rebuilt when the bike becomes difficult to start...Another thing to check is see if you have an air leak. this too will make the bike hard to start... As bikes get old they change and just because it did not leak before is no sure sign that they will not leak now...

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)74'
250 hare scrambler (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Big Mac

Carb float level... turn he carb upside down with bowl off, should be parallel with bowl base when float rests on the needle.
Jon McLean
Lake Grove, OR

skiracer

1976 Penton 175 XC
1977 250 GS6
@flyracingusa