AHRMA Cross Country Classes

Started by Dwight Rudder, April 08, 2012, 12:53:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mick Milakovic

$4 a gallon at the pump doesn't help, either.

Mick
Mick

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by Mick Milakovic

$4 a gallon at the pump doesn't help, either.

Mick

Your right but with 3 2-Day events a year, it shouldn't be a huge hinderance. The National Enduros are getting 450-600+ riders at every event. I think we should get 100 per event but we don't. I have heard some think the current rules and classes are a joke and that is why they don't particapate in more events. It is very sad that we have more classes than riders. Makes the team scoring a joke too.

Mick Milakovic

Further on the cost thing:  To go to South Carolina it would cost me $300 in gas with my dodge pickup hauling 4 bikes (vintage and post vintage for me and my son).  Two races per day per racer = $400 in entry fees.  Gate fees are usually 25 bucks a head for the weekend.  If we camp and eat out of the cooler add another $60-80 for food.  If we don't buy any T-shirts or souveniers, don't break down and don't get hurt, it's a minimum of $850 per weekend.  I know I could save money by only racing one class, but that's a long way to drive for 60 minutes of racing.  

Conversely, there's a local promotor who does 60-minute GPs here in Indiana for $25, with no AMA license required, and I can run three races per day.  My cost for a day of racing is usually around $200 for me and my son to ride 4 classes, gas, gate, and food.

I support AHRMA, and the AMA, but traveling so far and spending so much is hard to justify.  It's not the number of classes, it's not the lack of advertising, and not a lack of competition.  I think for most it's a matter of finances.  When I started doing this 10 years ago gas was only $1.50 a gallon and AHRMA entries were $35.

I'm not argueing the advantages of fewer classes, better competition and an earned championship rather than one just "purchased"; those are valid points.  I'm just sayting the drop in attendance is more economic.

Mick
Mick

seanguthrie

I'm with you Mick.  I ran about 5 races this year from Diamond Don's to Big Sky Ranch WV.  I'll finish with Barber.  Being from Indianapolis it's very expensive.  It was my first year of AHRMA and I really enjoy it though.  I've got 3 small boys and a wife that have all got the dirtbike bug so they will probably start traveling much more next year with me.  I can see the $$ adding up.  That's not even including bike service which I'm going to need a lot of.  Time for a second job and a nice used RV!  There is just no cheap way to travel the country and race vintage dirtbikes.  It's not like we have sponsors or anything.

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

454MRW

Sounds like you are both from Indianapolis, so you should consider car, (truck)-pooling & sharing traveling expenses. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Mick Milakovic

Mike, I agree, that's the way to go.  It's hard, though, unless you travel with someone who has a LARGE trailer to take all the bikes and gear.  When Jarrin graduates and is on his own it wil be easier, but then I'll lose my best friend to go to the races!

Mick
Mick

Dwight Rudder

My main concern is the enduro series. Although my rule suggestion would effect the whole cross country series.  AMA is not require. The Enduro series is only one race per day not 2. Camp out save money. My concern is having too many classes is not being addressed. 51 classes !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!   The only way to whittle them down is to compress the rider classifications. Why do we have 3 rider classifications ? We should have 2 in most classes . A & B. like we did in the 70s.  There are no beginners here.  All Novice riders should ride "B" Class.  Many of the Intermeditate riders should move to "A" Class.  I just reupped with AHRMA and they classified ME as Intermediate for Cross Country. Me a Enduro A rider and former AA rider and ISDT / ISDE medalist.  BUT, They have me classified as Expert MX and PVMX. What is that about. I have only raced maybe 8 MX events EVER. and 2 of those were Vintage. LOL. Anyway without major changes AHRMA is going to continue to lose riders. I think the bike classifications for the most part are good. So we can only reduce the amount of Rider Classifications to reduce the number of classes. I just looked at the New Blaine event. Great riding there by the way. BUT they only have 33 preentries and 51 classes. Some classes don't even have riders. 13 only have 1 rider. A few more have only 2-3 riders. Sad. So Very sad.

Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by seanguthrie

I'm with you Mick.  I ran about 5 races this year from Diamond Don's to Big Sky Ranch WV.  I'll finish with Barber.  Being from Indianapolis it's very expensive.  It was my first year of AHRMA and I really enjoy it though.  I've got 3 small boys and a wife that have all got the dirtbike bug so they will probably start traveling much more next year with me.  I can see the $$ adding up.  That's not even including bike service which I'm going to need a lot of.  Time for a second job and a nice used RV!  There is just no cheap way to travel the country and race vintage dirtbikes.  It's not like we have sponsors or anything.
74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
You aren't going to the New Blaine and Tulsa events ? Not that far from Indy. Each day counts as an event. Camp out. Adds to the fun and saves money.  Keeps the kids out of trouble and makes for good influence on them.

Dwight Rudder

Seems the powers that be don't like reducing the rider classifications but I haven't seen any counter suggestions to improve the events. It won't make everyone happy but I think more will like the changes than won't.  I am open for suggestions even to the point of starting another Vintage Enduro and Hare Scrambles Circuit with the object of a national championship series that includes the ISDT Reunion ride.

seanguthrie

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by seanguthrie

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
You aren't going to the New Blaine and Tulsa events ? Not that far from Indy. Each day counts as an event. Camp out. Adds to the fun and saves money.  Keeps the kids out of trouble and makes for good influence on them.

I didn't make it this year.  I plan my race schedule around family and work.  I did Gatorback, DD, WV, Athens, Budd's Creek (only because work had me spending the following week in DC) and EZ-Jims so far this season.  I was traveling with a buddy and his dad from Indy.  The old man he's 67 broke his back a few weeks ago.  He's ok now and up and moving around, but has been told by the boss (wife) his racing days are over.  Knowing him I don't think he'll except that.  All he has been talking about this season is makeing it to the 70+ class.  I know his son is very concerned about him and we talked about him getting back on a bike the other night.  I know some old racers will never hang it up even when it starts to get in the way of a healthy life.  I myself can say I could never hang my boots and jersey in the garage but I'm 36 and very healthy.  Maybe check back in another 30 years.

74 250 Hare scramble
68 Six Day
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

454MRW

Sean,
I have tried several times to reply to your email, both from my phone and computer, and each time it is returned as undeliverable and blocked. **My mistake, when I manually typed it into my phone I had it .com instead of .org, Duh...Mike Winter

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R