1969 Sachs clutch control

Started by Bill Bean, August 25, 2022, 01:55:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bill Bean

Dave,
Cleaned up that old flywheel, cut an opening in it. Painted it black, marked TDC and timing mark.
It works great. A lot easier on the back! Getting some new points this week.

I have also made a tool to hold the flywheel in place in order to get the nut off and back on. I have attached 2 pictures. It either pushes or pulls on the foot peg as needed. It's made using some square fence tubing, an angle bracket and a bolt and nut. No welding. Works great too.

Bill

slvrbrdfxr

Bill,
I received your letter thank you. I'm glad that old flywheel was useful to you. It's been in my scrap metal bin for quite awhile and eventually would have gone to the recycling yard. I removed that flywheel from a Sachs that was found sitting in a field and was missing it's wheels. The engine was basically sitting on the ground in that field for who knows how long and so it had lots of condensation built up inside the magneto cover. I remember it was a real bear to remove. The top end of that engine was an iron barrel and rusted up so badly that I had to cut the piston to get the cylinder off and still broke a cylinder skirt in the process of removal. I sold that engine and frame at VMD Mid Ohio this past summer to a guy that was very happy to get them. Enjoy your bike and keep us posted on any new developments.
Dave McCullough