Bob Wardlow on the cover of Vintage Views?

Started by Mark Annan, January 15, 2005, 04:15:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew Mayer

That was Gainesville,last year.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

tmc3c

Hey Paul, That is Charleston S.C. that the Swamp Fox is ran.That is where my buddy and pal Bobby Manucy gets his handle from here in POG "Swamp Fox" ! Have you ever raced in it ? Greg Holder just ran it last week and he said he thought he got a 4th overall.He was riding a NEW 450 Husky. Charleston is HOME for me even though I live in the Upstate of S.C. now. And YES it does look like the Francis Marion Forest.:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Paul Danik

Thomas,
  I rode the Swamp Fox back sometime in the 70s, maybe 73-74.  Jack Penton his brother Tom and I ran down in Jack's van.  I really enjoyed that ride, the trails seemed to have a great rhythm to them, lots of nice tight twisty stuff through the pine forests. I remember riding on some banked and contoured single track that was designed to carry water to help fight forest fires, kind of like riding in a bobsled run.  

Lew, you mentioned at the York swapmeet that you were heading to Gainesville again this year, when is that?  Do you ride the trials and Cross Country both?
Paul

Dennis Jones

Paul, That picture was at Peoria, IL. It was a brand new section and the crux move came right after the photo. I had 2 cleans and a crash on it. Not sure whitch one the photo was.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Paul Danik

Thanks Dennis.  I remember watching you at Mid-Ohio before I knew you, you really ride those trials bikes well.  I guess now you perfer the cross country, or are you doing both?
Paul

firstturn

Lew,
  We need to talk.  That is why you have my email address...get it![8]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

swamp fox

Paul & Thomas,
I went out there this last weekend and took my daughter again to see the junior enduro. KTM was the weapon of choice even for the kids. I talked to a guy there from Florida riding a 77 Bultaco who said he had some Penton's in the past. There was also someone racing a Triumph TT500 and another older KTM. I missed the first four rows of the start, so I didn't see Greg take off, but I did drive around to some of the trails that were accessable and see some more action. TC, we are going to have to put our bikes in there next year! I've just never done one and wouldn't know where to begin, but the ride would be so much fun. Racedaypixs was taking pictures, and yes, the one of Lew looks like it could have been right there. Link to raceday from //www.setra.org//

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Lew Mayer

Paul,the cross-country and trial are on Fri. Mar.4. I'll ride them both like last year. This year I may try the Ironman and ride the Vintage MX on Sunday. Never rode an MX in my LIFE. After Friday, my buddies may just abandon me with my Six-Day at the track and head for Daytona. If I ride the Ironman, it'll be on all Pentons. JP,SixDay and trialer.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

Gary Roach

My soon-to-be-wife (yes, my days are numbered!), Toni, noticed a big "GOOF" on the Vintage Views cover. Can anyone else find it? And no, I'm not talking about the one the Penton!  

Gary

tmc3c

Hey Paul, You got to ride in the forest in Charleston before Hugo hit and that was when it was the best. Tall Tall Pines , open Trails,and berms that seem to go sky high !! I remember well ! and WOOPS !! How did you do down there?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Paul Danik

Thomas,
  I would like to tell you that I won the national overall and was the only finisher, but that would be a big lie:D I do remember that Jack, Tom and I all trophied, but the main thing I remember is what a great ride it was through all of those pines and there was nice soft soil without hardly any rocks, just talking about it MAKES ME WANNNNNNA RIDE!!!!!!

Gary,
   You guys got me on this one!  I guess I will hafta tune in tomorrow for the "rest of the story".
  Paul

Auto5guy

Gary

I've been known as a big GOOF.

I think that AHRMA is a little late in sending out last years January issue.  It's so late they decided to headline 2005 sponsors!

Rob

That's a beautiful shot of your Mint 400.  All covered in mud just like it was meant to be.

WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.
WARNING: The Surgeon General has determined that castor smoke can be hazardous to your health.  It is highly addictive and causes delusions of grandeur.

Dennis Jones

Thanks Paul,AHRMA used to have events like Ridgedale, Mo that were just a Trial and Cross Country. All my buddies were riding both and I was left standing around. I started looking around for a Penton and found my Jackpiner and it just kinda took over. My first ride on it was at that Rigedale CC and it was also the first competition other than a trials I had ever rode in my life. I got a first out of six in my class, that Penton new what to do because I sure didn't. I do plan to ride more trials this season.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Admin

Thanks to Kent Knudson for bringing this to our attention.  It seems that a 4th POGGER was on the cover of the AHRMA newsletter.  The following is the information sent to us by Kent:

"Our groom-to-be, Gary Roach, made the cover in September 2001.  The shot is of him on our 400 beating Tim Shephard for the Open Age Expert win.  Gary went on to win the AHRMA Open Age Expert and Sportsman 500 Expert National Championships in 2001.  We were also pleasantly surprised to find this image used on the 2002 AHRMA t-shirt.  Keep up the good work!"

Photo by Matt Benson