penton

Started by wolfmanonapenton, September 11, 2006, 06:59:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bentrims

Donny,
I am hoping that some of the POG overclass will pipe in to fill in the blanks with the facts. Still curious like you on this.
Tom B

454MRW

Donny,
If you go back to the 1st page of this post, I belive it was Tom that listed the link to the trademark or patent application. Myself  I have some issue with getting a patent or trademark on someones given name, which is like calling yourself them. I would think that impersonating another person, by getting a trademark on someones namesake would be illegal and not stand up in court, regardless of any trademark application being granted. Getting a trademark on the name HI-Point on the other hand, which evidently was also applied for would be another story if a trademark had never before been applied for. This would be a task for an actual patent or trademark lawyer to determine. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 250'S
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

firstturn

Donny & Others,
  Here is the information you requested.  Just click on it.  You will notice it is a supplimental ONLY trademark...so big deal[:o)].  

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=99v91s.2.1

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

Lew Mayer

Also, maybe of interest, the trademark for Hi-Point was abandoned on 9/11/06.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

sixdazed

Mike,T.B.,Ron,Donny,and All,I have found myself sometimes getting too emotional when making posts regarding this trademark legitimacy question.We are all very proud of our bikes.We all know what gems we have in our real Pentons.I'm sure many of us would hate to see Mr. Penton's name being put on anything he didn't design,approve of,or endorse.And though i would never,ever, claim to know Mr. Penton's opinion on this,i doubt very much he would endorse any Chinese knock off of a Japanese minibike or motorcycle with his name on it.I've read a few interviews from back in the 70's in which he made it very clear about how he felt about the asian motorcycle industry(at least back then).It may be that if,in fact his name/trademark has been somehow legally taken from him he must protect himself-legally,by not saying anything about any future product publicly.Even if it was a quality,competitive,modern race bike-or even a good replica of the originals,(probably impossible!)-until he says so,it is not John Penton's bike.A man's good name and honor go hand in hand.-              Just as the small Chinese manufacturer's operate,using one brand name until they are discovered breaking patent infringement laws-then they move their operation and change their name and restart up under a new moniker,i.e. Handa,Yamoto,Etc.,this guy has a history of being one personality,then another,and another,ad naseum.No Honor or scruples whatsoever.So i pity the unsuspecting few(if this bike ever comes to fruition)who buy one thinking it is a recreation/replica/tribute of a great bike only to be disappointed with something entirely different.Put one of your own "names/identies" on the tank!In these days of identity theft i guess this should have been expected.Anyway,even though it may somehow legally say Penton on it,WE all know the real thing when we see it.Shame on any fool who tries to disgrace our Pentons!And yes,i too am curious to hear about how all this came about.....Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

Lew,
  Great point.  Here is the location to check this out;

http://tess2.uspto.gov/bin/showfield?f=doc&state=om1fb6.2.1

I guess that it was such a money making business that someone just forgot to renew it??[:0][:0]

Ron Carbaugh
Kerrville, Texas
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

Ron, et al, the Tess search function only works for a short while, I think it is a "session" while one is engaged.
In regards to my first post, my thoughts were about "intent"

At the top of our website, are our intentions, clearly displayed.

This is a very hard subject to talk about. There are passionate feelings regarding the Penton Legacy. We own them, we produce parts to protect His honor, we go to vendors and members who believe the same things.
So sanctimonious, is the one who took the Penton Trademark?
If you knew "so much" why, then, did you do this?

Think of the RR in two weeks, it is an emotional place,
DW is already talking about it, I remember Tulsa ought 4.

Respectfully
Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius

lksseven

What Terry has done/is doing is despicable.   His behavior smacks of someone who is not quite right in the head.  

There's a great scene from the movie Bodyheat (actually there are many great scenes in that movie, but I won't go into a description of most of them [}:)] ).   An arsonist is talking to a lawyer (interesting twist) who is wanting to set fire to a building in The Breakers, on the beach in Florida, and has asked the arsonist (a former client) to show him how to set the firebomb.  The arsonist advices the lawyer not to go through with it, saying "Listen to me, counselor.  When you go to commit a serious crime, there are a hundred ways you can screw up.  If you can think of fifty of them, you're a genius ... and You .. ain't no genius."

Likewise, an individual effort to plan, source, build, market, distribute, sell, and service/support a brand new bike in today's commercial environment against the established manufacturers in the motorcycle industry couldn't be accomplished by a certified genius .... and Terry .. ain't no genius.

This guy is a mustard burp, momentarily noticed, then gone in the wind.  He lives to antagonize, and wins only if we pay attention to him.  If we tune him out, he ceases to exist.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time