Cervical fusion

Started by Lew Mayer, March 16, 2008, 05:07:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tony Price

Having gone through three back surgeries and picking up some titanium hardware to hold things together, I don't envy Lew the first day after waking up.  

None the less, He's gonna feel much better when he gets all healed up.

Here's to a speedy recovery and the resuming of what we all loosly call normal activities....

Tony
Tony

Tony Price

Donny,

Somehow I missed your recent surgery.  Glad all went well and you are on the road to recovery.

My first surgery for my back was at Naval Hospital Groton back in 1993.  All I can say it was a good thing I was on Shore duty as SubScol Staff, lol.

Tony
Tony

OUCWBOY

Tony,
I wish I'd had it done sooner. I feel 20 years younger now! No pain or numbness at all.
Thanks

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

lksseven

a close friend of mine had a new kind of neck surgery done by Dr. Jho in Pittsburgh (no fusion or metal inserts in most cases).  Always a big, active guy, his spinal compression was to the point where he could barely button his shirt.  He had a very quick recovery and has a new lease on life since his surgery 3 years ago.

http://www.minww.com/hdjbio.htm

... These innovative spine procedures include an anterior cervical microforaminotomy for cervical disk herniation, spinal cord decompression via anterior microforaminotomy for cervical stenosis, an anterolateral or posterolateral approach for cervical spinal cord tumors, endoscopic thoracic discectomy, endoscopic lumbar discectomy, endoscopic decompression for lumbar stenosis, etc. Anterior microforaminotomy for cervical disc herniation is a new surgical technique which removes only the herniated portion of the disc and preserves the remaining disc intact. Spinal bone fusion or metal implant is not necessary. Normal neck motion is well preserved with this new surgical technique. Spinal cord decompression for cervical stenosis is also performed via anterior microforaminotomy. This operation for cervical stenosis does not require bone fusion or metal implant, and does not require the use of a postoperative brace. When the spinal cord tumor is located anteriorly to the cervical spinal cord, the tumor is removed via an anterior microforaminotomy or a posterolateral approach. With these techniques, bone fusion is not necessary after tumor removal. Endoscopic transpedicular thoracic discectomy is performed via a 2-cm incision.

With these minimally invasive operations, patients usually recovers quick with minimal discomfort and short hospital stay. Thus, Dr. Jho's minimally invasive spinal surgery can be called functional spinal surgery in that the normal anatomy and functions are preserved as much as possible. However, if required with spinal instability caused by tumor invasion or trauma, spinal instrumentation and bone fusion are also performed by minimally invasive techniques.

Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time
Larry Seale
I choose to ride...slower and slower all the time

paul

Hey POGers, I had to bring up an old but important issue to a lot of us older riders. Has anyone had or know anybody that has had an electro-stimilator "installed" to elimnate back pain? Due to previous surgerys my Doc says this may be a better way to go instead of disc replacement or another fusion. Its been on the news but with all the posts on this subject I wondered if anyone else has considered this option. It is reversable whereas disc replacement is not. I suppose they could take the artificial disc back out if problems occur but it dont sound like fun. Thanks,TTPaul

deek

I would suggest to anyone, first try and find a medication that will work for you. I'm still looking.

I've considered it for my self, but haven't done it as yet. My lower back and butt is in constant pain down to my toes. None of the medications (dozen or so) prescribed worked. My concern was that I wouldn't have any feeling in the painful area and if injured wouldn't know it. Fell off the seat in the shower 3 weeks back (landed you know where) and for sure felt the after effects. Just a pulled ham string is all and it's about back normal now. It's an out patient procedure. Check the url below for the scoop.

http://www.webmd.com/content/chat_transcripts/1/104904.htm

Dale