built for champions

Started by jeff greenberg, August 26, 2009, 10:30:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeff greenberg

Just wanted to share this ancient pic:  July 21, 1974. A 125 Penton in front of the tower at the Mid-Ohio 125 national.
Jeff

sixdazed

Thanks for posting the Supercool pic Jeff
     Perfect!
     The right bike
     The right riding gear
     The right track
     The right year
     The best era of mx history (some may argue this
     but the 70's were king as far as i'm concerned).
     You didn't say if it was you or not,but if so
     you should get many style points.
                                        Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

jeff greenberg

Ric, Thanks!!  Yep, me at 18 yrs old with my Carrera goggles,Jofa and High Point boots, ha ha. Long for those old Sunday afternoons at Mid-Ohio.
Jeff

VICTOR MONZ

Jeff.

It appears you are quite knowledgeable about Mid-Ohio in the 70's.  Wonder if you rode along with Jon Leak and if so had any pictures of Jon riding his Pentons.  As I remember, didn't Jon win the 100cc and 125 cc Class Ohio State Championship in, maybe 74 ?  There was a Cycle news front picture with Jon standing next to the 2 6ft trophies, if I remember correctly.

I always was amazed to watch Jon ride.

Victor

jeff greenberg

Victor,   Good memory on Jon. He was an amazing rider and friend. He and I were best friends back then. I went to many races and vacations with Jon's family. My wife Kathy and I were just back in Ohio vacationing (yes in Ohio,ha) we had lunch with Jon's mom, dad, sister Lorri and Brother Mike. It was a wonderful time. I have many many pictures of Jon racing Penton's back in the day.  I'd be glad to post a couple if you'd like. Victor, we must have been at many of the same races together: Smith Road, Revenna, Malvern, etc. This particular pic from the national at Mid-Ohio was a race that Jon was in also. We both suffered mechanicals in that race. Pete Wiedner used to let his son Mark, Jon and I practice at Mid-Ohio in the middle of the week.  We had the place to ourselves a couple of times. It was heaven!
Have a great weekend.
Jeff

VICTOR MONZ

Yes, Jeff, I am sure we rode by each other back in those days.  I raced many Smith Road Races, Ranenna and Malvern.  I rode Mid Ohio a few times, State Championship race, although I did't finish in 74.

If you feel it would be proper to share some of Jon's photos...I think it would be great, he was a special racer and had that natural flow to his riding.

I also recall a Gerber fellow, maybe, riding Pentons at that time, I think he was pretty good.  Also, did you ever ride against Jack Horinek and of course George Singlar....I remember Leak, Horinek and Singlar going at it in the Pro Class at Smith Road what a ride to watch....maybe you were in that same pack.  What was really cool was when Jon Leak and George Singlar would show at Meadowlarks and Jack Penton and Dane were there....my memory fades a bit but real neat then.

Thanks for the memories it was a great time.

Victor

jeff greenberg

Victor- It might take me a few days but I will try to get a couple of photos of Jon racing on his Penton's. Unfortunately, I will probably also be in  the same photo, ha, oh well,2 Pentons in one pic. Not a bad deal.
And yes, I was in those pro class races ('75-'77) along with Jeff Piasecki, Todd Perkins, Ray Flanagan,Davey Glenn and others. Jon and I had some healthy battles in the Mid-Ohio state championships. He always came out on top! That boy could flat out fly!

Jeff

VICTOR MONZ

Jeff.

I will cherish the photos.  You guys were the best !

Victor

jeff greenberg

Victor - here's some pictures from back in the day of Jon.  I know you'll enjoy these:

Smith Road - 1977 - Pro class.  Jon on a KTM 250.  Me on a Suzuki 250 (sorry about not being on a Penton:)

Mid-Ohio - 1973,  100 Class.  Jon in white jersey.  Me in Piasecki jersey:

Ravenna, OH - 1973 - 100 Class.  Jon in white jersey followed by me:

Gallion, OH - 1974 - Jon in white jersey followed by me:

firstturn

Jeff and Victor,
  Thanks for bring to light the stories and pictures of Jon Leak.  I had heard the name a lot, but had never seen any pictures.  Great history.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

VICTOR MONZ

Thanks Jeff.  Real nice of you to post, he is missed, for sure. You guys must have been real close for lots of years, people we don't ever forget.

Victor

Just needed to add that all the POGERS should know these guys were the best riders I ever saw.  They were the guys that drew me to the races every Sunday, hoping they were there to watch.  The guys dreams were made of and still do today.  Thanks Jeff and Jon.

pakala

http://tinyurl.com/mhpemn
More Ohio vintage mx.
    Paul (smokie socal)

jeff greenberg

Victor-  So glad you liked the pics, knew you would. Thank you very much for those kind words. My wife knew Jon well also.  She read your post and it made her cry (the good kind of tears)
Hope to meet you one day.  Thanks again.
Jeff

VICTOR MONZ

Jeff.  I cried too (don't tell anyone)...really nice of you.

Paul....loved the site with Ohio vintage.

My racing friend from back in the day, Rick Belsole, who worked at Penton R & D in Lorain, we stay in touch to this day, has some old 8 mm film of us riding the Ohio tracks, if he can find it, he'll be making a cd out of them, I'll get my hands on it to share, mostly Meadowlarks winter harescrambles.

Victor

jeff greenberg

Here are some great back-in-the-day photos I found of Jon Leak.  Hope you enjoy these!

1973 -State Championship at Mid-Ohio. Jon on his way to holeshot in white jersey.  Me in yellow helmet and Piasecki jersey immersed in a sea of Berkie's

1995 - Jon & Me at his house in Norwalk

1975 - 125 National, Delta, OH.  Me following Jon.  Bodies on Yamahas but hearts with Pentons

1973 - Smith Road Raceway.  Boys with their hardware.  Jon in Penton jersey. I'm the tall one with all the hair!  Notice the Mid-Ohio windbreaker I'm wearing.  Still have it hanging in my closet!