Home Page Photo Quiz - October 2009

Started by Admin, August 29, 2009, 12:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

I know who it is, but I'll let someone else tell everybody.
Dane

garrettccovington

I'll take a guess Steve McQueen

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

rob w

Paul Danik

Lars Larsen it is, all good guesses but Rob gets the gold star.  Can anyone tell us anything about this very shy and conservative gentleman?

Paul

Doug Wilford

I even know who prepaired this bike for him.

Paul Danik

OK Doug, don't keep us in suspense........ inquiring minds want to know  :)

Paul

firstturn

I'm betting it is the set up King.....Doug Wilford.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tdthigpen

Lars at Diamond Dons 2009[/img]                                                                [/img]

Thom Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days (21c)
1972 125 Six Days
Thomas Thigpen
1974 125 Six Days   1972 125 Six Days (2)

paul a. busick

Does anyone know if Lars will be coming to the ISDTRR?
P.A. Busick

garrettccovington

I noticed in the background Gary Jones.

I have a funny story about MY FIRST AND LAST RACE SERIES in which GJ was in.

Around 1986 I wanted to go dirt bike riding again after 20 years and a friend sold me a YZ490. He told me that there was a race that weekend and Yamaha was paying Yamahabucks to 5th place in the Golden State series at De Anza. My friend said I had a pretty good chance at winning some money.

Since I qualified for over 35 vet, I figured nobody would be in that class.  I should have known I was in trouble after practice.  

Anyways,  I line up on the starting grid and I look over to my to  right and its Gary Jones.  I'm , "Hey buddie, are you the Gary Jones that was an AMA champ back in the 70's"  He replies, Yea and thats my brother on your left.  WHAT THE ----,  I'm thinking.

So I ask him to hold my bike and I walk up and down the line and there is Rocket Rex Staten,  the Jones brothers, the Zarht brothers, Ron Turner, the King of Saddleback. and MY BUDDY, Mike Johnson.  I get back to my bike and want to get these guy's autograph's.

So, I tell Gary, "Hey, when the gate drops,  I'm just gonna let all you guys go."  Since I was on a 490 and they were all on 125's or 250's.  He's all "don't worry you'll be ok."  However, I'm about to ---- my pants.

Well, the gate drops and NOBODY moves.  I look down the line and they are all looking at me.  Screw this, I shifted up to 3rd peg the throttle and slipped the clutch all the way to the 1st turn.

I looked over my shoulder and had everybody beat by 6 bike lengths.  The turn went left, I went straight, jumped the berm and went over the fence, and had 1/2 a lap on everybody.

2 corners later I could hear them all comming up behind me and I remember thinking, here it comes. Block pass, T-bone, Traction control for these guys, Roost etc etc.  So I kept my line, Held on tight and waited for the worst.  They went right by me, like I was in reverse, clean, wide no roost, nothing.  I'm thinking, "that was cool of those guys not takeing me out"  They all lapped me 2 times in a 5 lap race.  I was glad just to survive.

After the race, Gary Jones came up to me and asked me How I liked the start.  "It made my life" was my reply.  I thanked him and all the other racers for not taking me out.  They ALL said, just race your race and we'll get around you. "No Kidding"  They were my hero's before the race and after the 2nd race, I really respected them as racers and as people.  They all smoked me on the 2nd start.

I ended up racing the whole series and at the last race I got a 3rd overall, my name in Cycle News and $100.00 in Yamahabucks.  Of course in that race, all the Pro's were off racing someplace else.

I never raced again and if anybody asks me, I will tell them why they are called Pro's.  My Buddie's Sister ended up marrying Ron Turner many years latter.

G  

72 six-day
72 six-day
79 KTM MC80 250

jeff greenberg

Garrett-  I really enjoyed that story, ha! I got to know Ron Turner just a little bit at some of the 125 nationals back in 75-76. Fast, really nice and if I remember, had a "afro"
Jeff

Doug Wilford

As usual Ron was right again.  Lars was plenty of help working on his bike and around the shop.  The Husky people seem to have a way of making their riders want to help.  During preparations for sure.   When race day came it was a different story.  They ride you fix!  The first year was the toughest for me doing the Trans Am.  A slight kink in the planning.  I had five riders and no mechanic (except me)  Somehow we managed to hang in there and do all 12 weeks.
Lots of stories in Edison Dye Circus (Trans-Am series)

brian kirby

Garrett, I was probably there that day but I was a punk kid on a CR125 in 125 Int. I raced at all the SoCal tracks and De Anza was one of my favorites.

Brian

'72 Berkshire
Brian