Original GS6

Started by rob w, March 11, 2010, 12:00:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

How about this one.
1977 Penton GS6 400 - guarantee 100% original to the day it was new - 241 Total miles.

Mike Winter - You tell me I should take some pictures before I start a project, here they are.
Has a horn, and compression release.
Haven't even wiped the dust off yet, looks like it'll need a rear fender, and....
But, not too shabby eh?

slvrbrdfxr

Bob,
She's a beauty !! Congrats on such a nice find !!
Dave McCullough

firstturn

Bob,
  Very nice and thanks for sharing it with us.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

marsattacks

Nice! What carb? And is the compression release via extra plug hole or through a port in the back of the cyl? Looks like sidestand--any mounts for center? Whenever you get around to it more pics and closeups of pipe, etc would be great-- Congrats!
Mars Attacks!
68 Planetary/Lunar Lander (very sadly, sold with Gamma death-ray to the Italians)
78 400 MC5 also sadly sold
79 space rock shox bike

400gs6

Very cool!  I had one just like it, sold it in 2003 on ebay to a guy from PA.  What a find, where did it come from?

Kurt
KURT FLACHBART

400gs6

-Had a bunch of orange Pentons, sold all except my 76 400 back in '03

KURT FLACHBART

rob w

John, OEM 38mm Bing carb - compression release is through horizonal  port provided in right side, rear of head.
Will take pics of whatever you want, and will look for center stand mounts today.
Kurt, I bought both this one and a 77 MC5 400 (see "clean machine" now on page 7) about 5 or 6 years ago. Both bikes were purchased new in 1989 from Flint Indian Sales - Flint, MI. This one has a 1991 Michigan ORV sticker on it.
Neither bike belongs to me today.
Cool is'nt it, should be a real fun project.
Bob

454MRW

Cool beans!
So, was the supertrapp exhaust tip an optional item when they were new. All the GS-6 bikes I have seen pics of have the large enduro silencer. That rear pipe section looks more like an MX pipe. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

tofriedel

Rob,

DC Plastics is in the process of duplicating the original Falk rear fender that I sent to them.  My guess is it should be available very soon.  I'll keep you advised.

I have the same bike except it is a 250, but it has 1500 miles on it.

Tony
Tony

rob w

Tony, Thanks for sending DC your part to repro. That's my closet option after NOS - which may take some time to find.

rob w

Mike, I've seen that same pipe set-up around these parts several times before. The only GS I've ever run across with the bazooka/enormous pipe, was a 125.
?
Always something new to discover......
Bawb (working on KRP pipe)

454MRW

Don't you just love that original patina of the front Marzocchi forks? It is a shame that there isn't any exact color paint to match it. I decided to leave the fork lowers on my 76 MC5 400 original, but since my shop isn't heated all of the time, they have begun to oxidize and I will have to paint or clear coat them anyway. I may have to resort to having some paint custom mixed to match the original. There have been a lot of "close matches" by POG members, but I don't think anything has ever been found to match exactly.
Did you see this NOS set of Ceriani forks that sold on eBay a while back with a somewhat similar finish? Mike

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ceriani-MX-Magnesium-Forks-New_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem20afb02416QQitemZ140386509846QQptZMotorcyclesQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
Michael R. Winter
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Keith May

Nice bike Rob. I've got one just like it with minimum mileage (speedo missing when I bought it). I'm missing the horn but haven't really looked for one either. Mine has the MC exhaust tip and a Lectron carb. I added a decompressor. The bars were tweaked and the right side foot peg bent. I suspect the owner let this beast get away from him and he parked it for purposes of self preservation. It's a HOOT when I take it out to the club I belong to, the younger guys don't know what it is and the older guys just stand there with their mouths open remembering the good old days. I get the same response when I take my '72 Six Days (it's in great, original shape also).
Keith

400gs6

Quotequote:Originally posted by rob w

Kurt, I bought both this one and a 77 MC5 400 (see "clean machine" now on page 7) about 5 or 6 years ago. Both bikes were purchased new in 1989 from Flint Indian Sales - Flint, MI. This one has a 1991 Michigan ORV sticker on it.
Neither bike belongs to me today.
Cool is'nt it, should be a real fun project.
Bob

Very interesting,  I had a '78 KTM 400 MC5 that was also bought new from the same Flint Indian auction.  The MC5 was brand new, never had fuel in the tank.  I had it in my living room.  Never started it, sold it to a guy in Rhode Island in 2000
KURT FLACHBART

rob w

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++