air box cover

Started by tmc3c, March 15, 2002, 03:36:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

I need some help in finding a fiberglass air box cover for my 1976 250 mc5.Thanks in advance for any help.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Tom Gougeon

Try [email protected]. He's got tons of fibreglass repro's.

tmc3c

Thanks Tom I appreciate you telling me about rpm.They do have penton part's but unfortunately don't have any part's for my 76 250 that I saw. I e-mailed him to check if there was more to his stock.Thanks again.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

offshoreyacht

what years are the same ?  i have 75 air box covers  please advise  thanks

kevin dunn
kevin dunn

tmc3c

Hi offshoreyacht. I'm not really sure what year's swap, maybe a senior member will share some of their wisdom on this matter.Do you have both side's?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mike Lenz

76 mc-5 panels were plastic. I doubt there are any new oem ones around. I think AL Buehner has good white plastic ones.

tmc3c

Hi Mike Lenz.Thanks for your input.I thought the cover's were fiberglass when you have a fiberglass air box.The exhaust cover and air box cover that was on the bike is fiber glass just trashed. But I don't doubt what you are telling me,The bike has a 1974 motor in it.I talked to Al the other day and he said he had fiberglass exhaust panel but did not have air box side.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Mike Lenz

76 mc-5's had alum or mag metal airboxes. Sounds to me like you have a 76 GS model which was basically the same as the 75 mx and enduro models

Mike Lenz

Mr. Gougeon or anyone I can never get to the rpm site and I cant figure out why??

OUCWBOY

Hey Mike,
Try this address: http://rpmsfiberglass.safeshopper.com/index.htm?299
I just went there and it works!
Donny

Edited by - oucwboy on 03/26/2002  01:50:21 AM
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

Hey Mike. Thanks for following up on this for me.I thought it was a mc5 but with the motor being a 74 I couldn't really be sure.I was trying to bring the frame & suspension up to date,along with the cosmetics.Do you know if the gs had piggyback shocks? Sounding like I got a mixed bag!I do know it is a PENTON and wont have to worry about racing it.Thanks again

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

Tom
I had a mid-year 1975 that came with the piggyback marzocchi's, so yes they were available.  
Rocket

tmc3c

Thanks Rocket.The guy I bought my bike from was pulling parts out of the barn and I wasn't sure if they were something he had or what.He went in and out and each time came back with something else.The mc5 and the GS models is there a lot of difference?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Rocket

I believe the MC5 and the GS6 had similar frames, GS6 being a frame breather.  The older bikes with the fibreglass airboxes were called GS's also.  They were made from I believe 72 through 76.  I am thinking that the MC5's were released in the mid 76.  Anybody know forsure?  I also believe the Gs6's were all 77's.  Relying on old memory!!
Rocket

tmc3c

Rocket was the mc5 supposed to be faster & lighter? I know that the 5 means it was a 5 speed, right? Have you ever had a bike with Carl Crank porting job, or rode one? I would really like to suprise my friends with the bike I,m building!any ideas? Thanks

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler