What Did You Do To Your PENTON Today?

Started by Dennis Jones, July 15, 2011, 01:35:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lew Mayer

Dennis, are you at it again? It looks nice.

Lew Mayer
Lew Mayer

firstturn

Very nice Dennis and you might add the History of you and the bike.  I am Happy you have it back.  Great work!

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Dennis Jones

Stephen, the low mounts and the rear fender are from Sammy Miller Products. The mounts are for an Ossa MAR, you have to modify the mount holes some but they work fine. A couple years ago a guy on ebay had the front fenders and had several, I think I bought five and this is my last one.

Lew, this is the first Penton Trials I bought and restoring it (again) and parking it with the Jackpiner I used to chase you around the AHRMA cross country series is about all there is to being back at it.

The short version of the story Uncle Ronnie is talking about is I bought this bike as a project, rebuilt it, rode it several years in AHRMA trials, won a championship on it in 2001 (even with the 6B motor) riding the 2 line, then sold it to ride a 152 kitted Wassell.

After about eight years or so a very gracious POG member let me buy it  back from them. It had been on display in an office the whole time and it was like a time machine, exactly like I sold it.

I only have two Pentons now, this one and the one in the first post of this thread and I hope to never have to sell either.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

iyaoyas

Thanks for the info. Dennis...!

-Stephen

Knute

Blueprinted and painted hubs, laced and trued rims, and mounted some tires for the vintage bikes and a few 1981's...with some help from Gary Roach and James Giddings.

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings
Dennis & Cory Buttrick
Derick Kemper
Nicole Hays
Josh Gaitten
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

hankthecrank

Hey Knute. Would you mind listing what tires those are? Thanks, Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Knute

Hey Hank,

James stocks Dunlop Geomax MX51, so that's what we've been using recently.  When Adam was Maxxis sponsored we used Maxxis Cross SI, and when Cory B. was Michelin sponsored, he preferred a variety of Michelin's with mousse inserts.  Before that, Kevin and Gary rode on Michelin M12's and S12's depending on the terrain.  That's my $.02 on tires...kind of like the whole premix/fuel debate...everyone has their preferences.

Good to hear from you...hope you guys are keeping warm over there!

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings
Dennis & Cory Buttrick
Derick Kemper
Nicole Hays
Josh Gaitten
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

hankthecrank

Thanks Knute. I didn't recognize the tires. I have been using the Mich S-12's too. We are trying to stay warm, really looking forward to some spring weather. Take care ,Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Rob Thatcher

[/URL][/img]
[/URL][/img]
Almost a motorcycle again.  If it wasn't so damn cold, it would be rolling. The wheels are pre-assembled and ready to go on, as are the tank and seat.  One good day above freezing (or at least 25!), it would be good to go.

Mick Milakovic

Kent, what do you mean you "blueprinted" the hubs?  I know what blueprinting an engine means, but not the hubs.  Can only assume it will help a vintage bike stop better, and that's a good thing!

Mick
Mick

Rain Man

Selling them, that's what I'm doing to my Penton today

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons

Keith Meatyard

Thought I would add some pics from my steeltanker restoration to get this topic back going again.  Re-doing a 71 Six Day.
Couldn't find footpegs, so I made them from flatbar:
The tank was already nicely painted but didn't have the black stripe, so I did some tedious taping and painted the stipes on.  Here's before stripe and after:
Now after adding the stripe:
Some detail work on the mag cover serial number tag that had been previuosly glass beaded.  Before:
After detailing the tag:
Frame being painted:

This is the bike that I am needing the original handlebars for.
Gotta be somebody out there that can help me get this thing completed by selling me a pair of bars.

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

Dennis Jones

Outstanding as always Bob. That rear brake pedal is a work of art for an inexpensive bike when new.

Tell us about that rear sprocket.

I haven't had anything to post in this thread as I'm working on an off brand too, 1976 175 Husky. But I do have a 71 Steel Tanker to start on.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Mick Milakovic

New front and rear wheel bearings, new fork seals and oil, and replaced the 10-year-old Kendas with modern tires; first modern tires I've ever had on a vintage bike.  They're used, but in much better shape than the Kendas were.

Mick
Mick

JCHubbard

In a rare weekend of no family commitments or obligations, I decided to tinker around in the garage.  Today I pulled out my 77 Penton 250 GS6 for a little pre-race maintenance. The KTM to the left to is a 78 KTM 400 MC5 with an Enduro Kit.  Started both bikes and rode them around the yard. Both started easy and are running great.

Yesterday, I worked on my recently completed restored 1969 Maico 360 MC and a freshened up stock 71 Maico 400 MC/GS.  Wasn't happy with the 40+ year old Bings on the bikes, so I experimented on both of them with a very fresh 36mm Mikuni VM.  Bottomline: The Maicos were much easier to start, idled better, and had better low to mid range.  So last night, I ordered a new 36mm Mikuni and will be installing on the 360 in the very near future.

JC Hubbard