Restoring V5301

Started by rob w, November 29, 2013, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

First thing I did was sand blast the layers of old paint off of the frame and swing arm. Then I had to re-weld the rear frame loop back on the frame.

Finished tig welding, and sanding down the rear frame loop. I put a custom fit steel dowel linking the inside the tubing, before welding.

I had a good size chunk out of the side of the chain guide bracket. Caused by chain wear after the bracket was twisted out of shape.

Chain guide bracket repaired. No visible weld, or witness marks.

Had to knock out the old swing arm bushings.

By making a tool that fit inside the slot, and with heat, and a big hammer. Will be replaced with some old NOS bushings I've been saving exactly for this occasion.

These parts were prepped (sanded, wire wheeled, polished) for silver zinc plating.

Here are the other parts I have to work with. Really happy the rims will clean up nice, without re-chorming. Have the original/ proper shocks and handlebars, and a brand new set of levers.

jeff greenberg

joe novak

Bob,   How are you going to paint the frame and swingarm?  I notice the air box is missing.   joe

rob w

Thank you Jeff, I'll try to keep this thread going until it's all finished. These pictures / operations cover three days of last week.
I have mixed emotions about this project. First I've been saving these pieces for years, to build my one and only steel tanker. On the other hand, I'm very happy with the income it will produce. I never seem to be able to hold on to my steel tank Penton's, because of the high value, and greater demand.

rob w

Hi Joe, Yes I am going to paint the frame. 50/50 still on either hiring a professional, or doing it myself. The big difference between the two, would be the durability of the pros job. But since it's future will be more show than go, my paint job will hold up, and look satisfactory.

tofriedel

Rob, beautiful work. I am envious of the tools you have for your projects.

Where are you getting your control cables for this project?  Are you making your own or having them made?

Tony

Tony

rob w

Hi Tony, Thank you. My father owned tool & die shops, so I was born this way.

Surveyed my cable situation over the weekend. I have 4 greyish white, small diameter, front brake cables - and 1 matching clutch cable. My plan is to make a throttle and choke cable, using the housings from the extra front brake cables.

sixdazed

So Rob,are you keeping this one?????
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

rob w

Hi Ric,
No I sold it before I even started building it. I know they don't come along every day, but I'm happier with the pile of cash I exchanged it for.

Updates -
Found out both shafts on the 13 1/2" Ceriani shocks are bent. Luckily I have another set (13" early CMF Ceriani's) that I can swap shafts with. Never took shocks apart before, but aside from having to make a spanner wrench, I suppose it can't be all that complicated.

Need 1) foot peg spring.

Need a front engine mount bracket.

thrownchain

Rob, I've got a bracket and can bring it tomorrow to the meeting.

rob w

That would be great Dan, I just happen to be coming to tomorrow's P.O.G. meeting also. Appreciate it much.

I use to have a surplus of them, guess I never kept one for myself.

sixdazed

Someone is going to get a beautiful steel tanker.If you don't mind my asking-Who is doing your tank,or do you have a new one?Later,Ric
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50

rob w

Thanks Ric. I'm building a 1971 Berkshire MX with my reproduction of this steel tank down pipe. (I have a dented/smashed original to copy)
Yes, gas tank will be NOS.

rob w

Triple clamps, polished, final finish
Air filter housing - wire wheel & Mothers, will stay natural
Air filter cover - sanded on lathe, may zinc or chrome plate
Front fender bracket - may zinc or chrome plate
Thank you Bill Hanks for the air filter pieces

This machine's family in waiting. She'll be in good company, and fairly close by.

sixdazed

Rob,I have one of those pipes in good shape if you need any cone measurements or anything.At least I think I do-haven't seen it in a while.And Carbaugh was just here...kidding:D
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50