Restoring V5301

Started by rob w, November 29, 2013, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firstturn

Good deal Ric....I have a NOS down pipe for both the steeltankers and the CMF.  Thanks Ric for the grat time at you Home/Shop.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

sixdazed

I figured you did-just poking fun;)-you know anything you need from me is yours anyway.
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

firstturn

Same back at you Ric.....between you, Skip and I we have a lot of nice Pentons and parts.  Make it a Great CHRISTmas.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Thanks for the offer Ric, here's the pipe I'll start with. I will cut it into 6 pieces (header, 4 cones, stinger) bang out the dents. Make a new cone or 2 by hand, if the old ones are too messed up. And weld them back together.

I made this container that I put mineral spirits in to wash fork legs, fork tubes, and fork springs, 2 1/2" dia. x 19"

Drain plug screws on the forks are always rusty. Al B sells Sachs case screws very reasonable. So I used those, and cut them to the right length.

I needed a air filter mounting bracket. So I made this one from aluminum (stock they're steel) using a template that Bill Hanks sent to me.

I bought a new swing arm bolt from Fastenal m10 x 240mm. It was a bit too lose of a fit with the swing arm bushing for my liking, so a made 2 shims .007" thick. And now the clearance/fit is correct.

I'm happy with the frame color I chose. I've come to the conclusion that the goldish / slightly greenish color tint to the silver - was actually a clear coat KTM used that turned that darker color over years. I used lacquer thinner to cut through it, and believe I got some good samples of the original color.
This picture is a little blurry, but you can get a pretty good comparison between these 3 parts.
The tube on the left is an original '71 Penton center stand.
The tube in the middle is my new paint.
The tube on the right is an original '72 Penton engine brace.
I went to a custom automotive paint store and from a chip, picked (with the expert's advise) a PPG paint.
Color - PPG #4843 - PSD - Chyrsler color.
He also said the it most resembles the amount of metallic in the original paint the best.
For 3 aerosol custom mixed cans, and 1 clear coat - the total was $55.

I'm going to see if I can't just polish each individual nipple with these small 3/4" dia wire wheels. It seemed to work good when I tried it out on a few. Then clear coat each nipple with a small brush.
The wheels look so nice otherwise, and they're so true, I hate to unlace them, and relace them. We'll see...

sixdazed

I think the Huskys had the same issue with clear coat on them.
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

Mick Milakovic

Regarding the paint:  Bob, do those spray-bomb cans come with a hardener combined in the paint?  I've been doing Huskys and Pentons with the best quality "aluminum" spray-bomb color and coating with clear.  The clear dulls the aluminum to pretty-close original, but is not very durable.  The upside is it's easy to fix scratches.

Mick
Mick

rob w

Mick, No I can't say that I know anything about the hardness of this paint. I know it's probably not the ultimate way to go, given the cost and application method.

rob w

Off with the Sachs raised letters. Putting Penton tags on the side cases.

rob w

rob w

Frame is now painted - and I love the new color I found.

rob w

Took the best condition parts from 2 pair, to make one good pair of Ceriani's.

This tool was used as my spanner/pin wrench on the shocks. It's a common tool found at bicycle shops, made by Park Tool.

Made the mounting bolt for the foot pegs 12mm x 332mm. Used an old 12mm axle, with a new 12mm bolt welded together to achieve the 332mm length.

Rear shocks repainted and put back together. NOS chrome covers.

New fork seals. NOS fork caps. Made 1" aluminum stand-offs for mounting front number plate. Not sure what color number plates I'll go with, probably white over yellow.

Took 23 pieces to get zinc plated, waiting for those. Then the engine goes in. Have to go pick out my seat cover material, and start reconstruction of the exhaust pipe.

rob w

rob w

Now I'm debating on whether to build a replica of the original down pipe (that was the initial plan), or use this one.
You all have never seen this one before. It's a NOS Torque Engineering "Whisperin Smith" with spark arrestor.

Do you think this looks alright ?

gooddirt

"I"  think when one looks at the bike the pipe looks to be the main focus,  a bit busy and to much pipe for a OEM look ....... just me  .[8D]

rob w

LG, That's exactly what I want to hear...your honest opinion, and input. I believe you're way more right, than wrong. Thanks