Restoring V5301

Started by rob w, November 29, 2013, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joe novak

Bob, The pipe looks great!    I have an original down pipe which needs some TLC before it is installed.   Did you fabricate all the cones on the new downpipe?   joe

firstturn

Brob,
  I know what it is like to build bikes for people that want something a certain way, BUT you ask and I told you!  Still like the small stinger.  GREAT build and I only Hope that people appreciate you showing the pictures.....Beautiful Bike.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

seanguthrie

Wow, that is beautiful.

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

rob w

Thanks Sean

Added the center mounting bracket to the pipe, and got it painted.

Joe, I've bought and cut up affordable unknown NOS pipes for cones, and header parts. Some of them, like the center cones with not much taper I make myself, by hand forming around a mandrel.

sixdazed

Looks kind of like a Modessett nos pipe I have.It's actually for a Suzuki ts185? I think-got it from (Tom Benolkin) and it looks like it will work on cmf with some slight adjustments...Project is lookin' good Rob!
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

rob w

Thanks Ric, It's made from the cones and parts of 3 pipes. The header and the back half of the last cone is from an original Hi-Point Accessories down pipe, and the rest is made from two Torque Engineering pipes.
Since the last pictures, I shortened the silencer by 1 3/8" or 35mm. So it's now even with the back edge of the swing arm, and has improved it's looks. I like how it turned out, it exceeded my expectations. Sometimes I surprise myself.

BrianTaylor

Bob realy enjoying this topic .....well done BT

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

rob w

Thanks BT

Not sure I'll be using this rear tire. Out of the 88 rear MX tires Motorcycle Superstore has. This is the smallest rear tire offered.
A 100/90-18 Cheng Shin Surge I-C7210. It's got a pretty cool pattern, and the 90cm height looks good. But it is a little wider than what a 100cc bike should be turning.
The physical width of this tire is 4 3/8" (you could'nt run a chain guard) - compared to the old 3.50 Metzeler, which measure 3 3/4" wide.
Front tire is an old days 3.00-21 Metzeler. Which is 1/2" smaller dia. than todays Metzeler Unicross 90/90-21

All four control cables are silver

Number plates are powder coated off-white

hanksie

Daniel P. McEntee

I've been enjoying the heck out of this thread also. My second bike back in the early 70's was a second hand Berkshire with the iron barrel and wish I had that one back. I have my late younger brother's '71 Berkshire, and have it mostly reassembled and running.Need to mount a head light and number plates. It's still in original condition, and have to decide if I'll ever restore it, but will probably keep it in it's original state as he last rode and raced it. If I ever do restore it, these pictures will be a great guide on how to go about it.
  I know you built the pipe up from parts, but what did the stinger come from? Does it have a silencer/spark arrestor in it? My brother's bike has a Torque Engineering enduro pipe, but the silencer isn't as big as the Whisperin'Smith pipe you have, and more like what you have on the down pipe. Really nice work all around.
  Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee

rob w

Thanks Bill, Your old air filter gives it beauty.

Thank you Dan,
The silencer is from a Torque Engineering pipe, no spark arrestor.

I punch out my own rubber washers with a "shim punch and die set", using old OEM Penton rubber mud flaps, and splash guards.
It's a two ply rubber, sandwiched between cloth. Smooth on one side, rougher on the other. I like the authentic old style look and feel to the washers.
I use two sizes - mostly a 13/16" / 20mm OD, and a few 1" / 25mm OD.

Hey Joe, You said you were interested in my old seat cover, but it had to be sacrificed.
The new seat cover is ready for pick up in the morning, and I have a seat stencil for the "KTM" logo to be painted on, coming from Randy.

Stand is fabricated, and works fantastic with little chance of scratching the frame paint. It straddles the underneath of the footpegs.

I have a NOS Cheng Shin C755 3.50-18 rear tire coming in apx 4 days.
Also today I got heat shink tubing at Menards to recover the ignition wires.

Dale Sonnenschein

Rob, I just read through this restore. Beautiful build. You certainly are talented.

74 puch 175 SD
73 Husky 360 WR/RT
76 Husky WR360
10 ktm 250xc
02 bmw r1150r

Knute

Looking great Bob...thanks for sharing!  

Kent

TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings
Dennis & Cory Buttrick
Derick Kemper
Nicole Hays
Josh Gaitten
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

Keith Meatyard

I too have really enjoyed following the progress in this thread.  The work is absolutely beautiful.  I really enjoy seeing something taken from not so pretty to this high level of detail.  I certainly have found out how many hours of labor go into this kind of project after having done three complete Jackpiners now.  Carry on with this fine example!

Keith Meatyard
Keith Meatyard

rob w

Dale, Kent, and Keith
Thank you for the nice words, I appreciate that very much.

Finally finish recovering the seat. I bought the material myself and had a upholstery guy sew up the cover.
Still need to paint KTM on the back.

Yes, I plan to flip the front wheel around, and put the brake on the correct (right) side. Thanks LG.