Restoring V5301

Started by rob w, November 29, 2013, 10:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Randy Kirkbride

Looks great, Bob. Glad it turned out ok.

rob w

It looked too much like something was missing without a chain guard, so I changed the plan, and added one.    

The 3.50 Cheng Shin C755 rear tire really made it. It just would'nt have looked right with a wider tire.

swamp fox

Bob,
I've been following your build, and like it very much. [8D] Sorry I didn't say anything. Hope that doesn't change our friendship. ;)
Hope to see you again in the future.

Ready for some fried shrimp? [:p]

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

swamp fox

Bob,
I've been following your build, and like it very much. [8D] Sorry I didn't say anything. Hope that doesn't change our friendship. ;)
Hope to see you again in the future.

Ready for some fried shrimp? [:p]

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

SouthRider

Rob - all that proves is that POG members aren't facebook junkies, or likely to be....

The people here appreciate the bike in far more ways than the casual observer on FB who will even "like" McDonalds, Nike, the latest supermodel, or Aunt Mae's dog wash.....

We really DO appreciate what is necessary to build this bike, restore this history, and continue the heritage.

Great job - though personally I still prefer the up pipe with the last mod. It's currently a more period correct motocross bike and Enduro runs through my blood.

Again - sweet build.

_____________________________________________________________________________________

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1972 Penton Berkshire 100
1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS
2009 Chevy 2500 HD Duramax
_____________________________________________________________________________________

\\"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing.\\"

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

454MRW

I tend to agree with SouthRider. Several people have commented here on how nice a job you have done and it takes a lot of talent and patience to take any undertaking to this level of restoration, but I will not go on Facebook now or ever, even though my previous band and current one has a facebook page, and several of my younger relatives with nothing better to do all day than to sit around with their nose in their computer wasting time do, which in my opinion is what it is best served for.
I spend enough time as it is reading and responding to Motorcycle forums and answering questions about Vintage Acoustic music gear, perusing eBay and Marks Vintage Swap Meet for deals I can't pass up or helping others out with items they need that I have. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1980 KTM 175-400'S
1975 Can Am 175 TNT & 77 250 Black Widow
1979 Husqvarna OR390
1976-78 RM & 77-79 PE Suzuki's
1974 CR250M 07 CR125R 79 CR250R
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

rob w

Quotequote:Originally posted by SouthRider

Rob - all that proves is that POG members aren't facebook junkies, or likely to be....
What it proves to me is that a single picture on Facebook can reach the masses, and spread the word of the Penton Sportcycle, many times greater than here. I would never ever slam the Penton Owners Group for anything. A lot of my best friends, and best times I've had in my life, are due to this great group. I am merely reporting on the reviews and attention the bike got from the world outside of POG. And you're greatly mistaken if you think there are'nt POG members sharing their motorcycle interests on Facebook.
 Let's take for instance the new John Penton movie coming out. There are 40,000,000 people on Facebook, and 42 people checking in on the POG site daily. Which group do you think Todd Huffman would rather reach ?

The people here appreciate the bike in far more ways than the casual observer on FB who will even "like" McDonalds, Nike, the latest supermodel, or Aunt Mae's dog wash.....
This is honestly debatable also..........

We really DO appreciate what is necessary to build this bike, restore this history, and continue the heritage.
Thank you

Great job - though personally I still prefer the up pipe with the last mod. It's currently a more period correct motocross bike and Enduro runs through my blood.
Hmmm...2 out of 3 of these bikes with Doug on the home page have down swept exhausts. http://pentonusa.org/images/homepage/2013/homepage_120513_large.jpg
And my particular interests have always been motocross, and flat track, never enduros. (but that's just me, and the way I grew up)
Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your opinion, and care to here your feedback on my project. Thanks for being honest, that's totally important when giving feedback.
 The first thing I wanted to accomplish when building this bike is - I wanted to give it that custom look, and not to be another identical clone. If I had to do it all over again, I would not change a thing, especially the pipe. Emotionally, a lot of passion and love went into making it, and a lot of enjoyment and satisfaction came out of it.

Again - sweet build.
Thank you

"We the willing, led by the unknowing, are doing the impossible, for the ungrateful. We have done so much, for so long, with so little, that we are now qualified to do almost anything, with nothing."

1983 Husqvarna 250 XC
2011 Jayco 31.5 RLDS

Koen Cuypers

I wish that this bike was in my garage,...it is a real beauty!

Koen

George Swan

This is a perfect example of a motorcycle that is being restored by someone who has no idea what they are doing. The bike should be immediately sent to me for disposal before any other innocent bystanders become horrified by such a Obama-ination :D

Terrible job;)

I will make sure it never ever see's the public's eye again (without me on it anyways).

I am so jealous of these old beauties. You have a great machine that I would be very proud to own.

1976 Penton MC5 400 Frame # 1871
1976 Penton MC5 400 Frame # 1871

ALB

What's this Face Book thing?

You did a wonderful job on restoring that 100. Your workmanship on restoring all your bikes has always been spot on. The tools, the knowledge, the skills are what makes the difference. But the most important is that you are an artist.

Now, which button on the phone do I push to approve this project?
I've tried just about every button on my phone and all that they do is beep. :D

Alan Buehner
Alan Buehner

seanguthrie

Al stay away from the face book, waste of time!

Rob POG forum 1,967 members of which I bet 1,967 would love to have, ride, and stare at that bike!

Facebook, roughly a billion members.

You're batting 100% in my book with POG!

74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213
74 250 Hare scramble
73 CMF 6day
68 6day V213

Daniel Desranleau

It's a great looking bike and the quality of both bike and workmanship are evident.
Great job; and I like the low pipe.
Dan.

Dale Fisher

Arguably IMO (in my opinion) the website serves us well for the size of the group we are today.  Considering myself still relatively a newcomer of six years little has changed with the content though.  Personally, I would like to see more of an animated web page reflecting current information. A build/restoration such as Bob's would be a perfect subject to highlight along with competition photos and events we have or are participating in.  The quickest example I could find is the KTM site.  A visit to the home page gives you quick look into what is happening and draws you into the other areas of interest.  Just my two cents worth...  And Bawb the bike was a great build as all of yours are.  Thank you for sharing [:p]

http://www.ktm.com/us/ready-to-race.html

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

'70 Six-Day 125 - V2017
'71 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's) - V5553
'72 Mudlark - W257
'73 Jackpiner - 175 21159727
'74 Berkshire 100 - 40171056
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,