New pop quiz

Started by tmc3c, July 31, 2002, 10:18:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Can anyone name the three Russians that signed to campaign Penton/KTM in 1973?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rcrump1

Moiseev, Rulev and Popenko?
They say the mind is the second thing to go!
Richard

rcrump1

Yep, my mind is definitely gone. Popenko was a CZ rider. Kavinov? Just not sure.
It's too early to think this hard.
Richard

tmc3c

Your mind is starting to go,You got two right! Guennady Moisseev,Pavel Rulev   But that is still awesome!! and quick too!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rcrump1

Thomas
In "the day" I raced motocross on CZ'z and enduroed Pentons. I remember very well (and with mixed emotions)the infamous blocking incident that took the MX World Championship from Falta and gave it to Moisseev in 74. The Russians were riding KTMs and CZs but I have a hard time remembering which riders were on which bikes.
Thanks for the memory exercise.
Richard

clayman

Could it be Moiseev, Rulev and Viktor Popenko?

tmc3c

Clayman you got two right!! See above

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Larry Perkins

Okay, so we know it is Moiseev and Rulev.  The other one, hmm.  I will take a guess but I think he is maybe not till the 80's and I don't think the spelling is right.  Heinz Kingarner?  I don't think he is even Russian but I had to guess something.  Like Doug Wilford once told me, my forgetter is working better than my rememberer these days.  Dr. 2 Stroke ought to know this one.  He is one of those European guys.

tmc3c

Larry, No that not him,And as far as Dr 2 stroke I think he M.I.A, I e-mailed him and got no response, and I haven't seen him here on P.O.G either. And far as getting the right answer,the only way I know it is from a original KEEPING TRACK! If anybody wants the last rider and gives up just e-mail me and I will send it to you!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

imported_n/a

Tom, according to an article entitled, "The Year of the Setting Sun," in the October '74 issue of Popular Cycling, KTM had signed two riders to a full works team for '73, and I quote, "But that winter KTM officials had talks wih the Russians in Moscow, and emerged into the 1973 season with a real scoop -- the signing of Rulev and Moiseev in a full works team."  The article goes on to name KTM Technical Director Alois Morawetz, Racing Chief Sigi Stuhlberger and two mechanics as the team for 1973.  

Is this a trick question? Were there really only two KTM full factory riders in 1973?

Glenn

tmc3c

Glenn,According to KEEPING TRACK issue Jan 1973 there is three riders as I read it, so no it is not a trick question. I quote[The Russian Moto-Cross stars signed to campaign the Penton/KTM are] and as we already know two are Guennady Moisseev and Pavel Rulev and there is one other rider listed.Also KEEPING TRACK also had pictures of the guys.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

imported_n/a

Tom, the earliest Keeping Track I have, I believe, is No. 13 or 14.  It must be an older one.

In further research, all I could come up with was the 1973 USSR Motocross Des Nations/Trophee Des Nations team for 1973.  They are:  Nicolay Efimov, Victor Popenko, Anatoly Botchkov and Anatoly Mandritchenko.  Since we know Popenko is not the "mystery Russian," might it be one of the remaining three?  This team finished 3rd in '73.  However, as the article was headlined as MX Des Nations, all other references were to Trophee Des Nations.  So I don't know if they were really riding 250s or 500s.  The Belgian team included Roger DeCoster and Joel Robert.  I know Roger did ride 250s for Trophee Des Nations, but I don't recall if Robert rode 500s for the MX Des Nations.  

Glenn

tmc3c

Glenn, Yes my issue of keeping track is a old one, it is no.2 issue and doesn't speak of any des nation teams.Would you like me to e-mail you the last rider? You didn't list him in the list you gave for the teams.In the Jan.1973 issue the headlines read {WOULD YOU BELIVE RUSSIANS RIDING PENTONS,MEASURING YOUR PISTONS,CARL CRANKE:VERSATILITY PERSONIFIED} and has and has GUENNADY MOISSEEV riding a 250 on the cover.

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

imported_n/a

Tom, let me dig a little further in my basement.  I'll make one more attempt to answer this.  If it is not correct, then you can e-mail me.

Glenn

rob w

Vladimir Kavinov, Guennady Moisseev, and Pavel Rulev.