Newer KTM

Started by hankthecrank, January 25, 2016, 10:22:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hankthecrank

Hey guys, slightly off topic. I've found an 08 TM 300 exc owned by one of the kids at the local high school. It's for sale with some spares, he cant get it to run. It has spark altho it shocks him every time he kicks it.LOL!It has been used and abused, needs lots of attention. $600.00. Any bad press on this model? I've never messed with this one. Hank   PS. Yes the wiring harness has been hacked into.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

thrownchain

$600 for an '08, I'd go for it.isnt anything that can't be fixed with a little work and knowledge. And at some point you could move it on, i'd be interested later in the spring when we get the tractors moving again

hankthecrank

Thanks. I've never messed with the 300's , only 200's and the 105's. I didn't think I could go wrong. It has serious teen age boy issues, many missing and badly fabbed pieces. I think I can fix it. Thanks again. Tractors? Did it snow?

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

thrownchain

We didn't get any out of the last storm, just waiting till we can start farm work to get the crops in....

hankthecrank

We got about 14 inches, not too unusual but it was 62 on Christmas Day. That's unusual!  Well start turning the fields under in early Feb. and start planting sometime early May. Grandpa always said plant after May 10 . Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Gary Roach

Hi Hank,

The 300EXC is a great bike, and you would have no problem selling it. The only problem that I know of is with the electric starter. The starter bendix, the bushings in the starter, and the bushings in the side case were all prone to wearing out very quickly. Thank goodness that it has a kick start lever!

If it shocks you while trying to start it, I would first look for a pinhole or crack in the spark plug wire.

Gary

hankthecrank

Hey Gary. How's your snow? Thanks for the reply. All the research I've done says the same thing. Starter is great new, 6 months later , not so good. I haven't tried to start this bike yet, the boys have it in the shop class and the teacher and myself have been laughing our butts off at them. I've seen everything from the proverbial screw driver in the cap, which you must hold on to! To several boys linking arms to dissapate the charge. All I care about is that is does have spark which they have loudly attested to! I might insist they try some more before I buy it!#128526;

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

hankthecrank

All those numbers were a smiley face.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Gary Roach

He got about 8" inches, but it's melting pretty quickly.

Another thing to check on the electric starter is, where the wiring from starter button plugs into the wiring harness behind the headlight, the wires in the connector are known to break.

hankthecrank

Thanks Gary. Hank

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

hankthecrank

Well , time for an update. It is a 360 not a 300 as I originally thought. I read the numbers wrong!

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Gary Roach

What year is it? The 360 is not a desirable bike, so I wouldn't spent too much money on it.

Does it look like someone wired in a different CDI box?

hankthecrank

Hey Gary. It's an 2008, and the wiring harness is hacked up. The first time I saw it the box was completely off the bike and six guys were in deep discussion about how it should be wired. Then all the shocking began!

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Gary Roach

KTM didn't make a 360 in 2008. The last 360 was in 1997. Where are you seeing the 360 at on the bike?

hankthecrank

I'm running the vin thru a KTM  decoder on a Google search. Vin VBKEXL2328M241040.

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart