70 steel tanker

Started by Gtomcon, March 11, 2016, 06:03:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gtomcon

Hello I'm new to the board , I'm going to restore my 125 sachs ,ran when I put her
In the shed back in late 80s , now I'm trying to get her too run before I take it all
Apart , have spark carb clean just will not run , one question I have is replacing
Crank seals , do I have too split cases in order to change clutch side ? If so big job ?
Any help/info would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Greg Ca.

thrownchain

Yes, clutch side seal replacement requires case splitting.

Larry Perkins

That side does not go out a lot because it gets bathed with oil..  When it is bad it is obvious because it smokes like a mosquito fogger.

Larry P

Gtomcon

Thanks for the response , my thinking is to replace mag side set points and the timing
I'm not sure how to set ? Points at 12 and use a dial indicator for timing ?
Spark plug very wet as I'm trying too start that's why I was thinking crank seals
Thanks again for advice/pointers

Greg

Paul Danik

Hi Greg,

First off, Welcome to the Penton Owners Group message board family, we are glad to have you aboard  :D

You mentioned how you want to get the Steel Tanker to run before you take her apart, you say you have spark and a wet plug. Have you checked your exhaust pipe for obstructions? How about a new plug? Did you check the air cleaner?

If you have a bad crank seal the bike should start but will be a little erratic. When you cleaned the carb did you remove all of the jets and blow out the tiny passages as well as make very sure the idle jet was clean from end to end?

Sounds like you have a gem of a machine, sure do like those Steel Tankers. Did you ride/race this one "back in the day" ?

Paul

Gtomcon

Thanks Paul
I'm hoping too get to the bike this weekend , I'm going to re clean carb , plug is new
I'll pull pipe and check , I installed new points/condencer . The bike in missing the
Original  fenders and air box , I never raced her but road the hell of of this bike and
Many others as a kid and young man , I've been restoring vintage bikes now for
Years and this one I want too do next. I will report back soon. Thanks again Greg

Gtomcon

Hello
Ok pipe ok, cleaned carb again , got her to start right up but only for a few seconds
It seems my spark is not consistent , after playing with point adjustment spark
Returns, after it try's to fire spark gone again. I have tried different coil, and coil
Winding at the stator plate , same thing , also removed lighting coils and still no
Consistent spark, also it seems I have too set points tight,as in 4-5 to get any spark
At all. Any help/suggestions ?
Thanks Greg

454MRW

Try running a ground wire from the point plate to the coil ground mount. Pentons rely on engine to frame ground, which is not very reliable. Mike

Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1974 250 HS Pentons-1978-1979 MX-6 175 & 250 KTM's
1976-78 125-400 RM's & 79 PE250 Suzuki & 2012 DR650
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

Paul Danik

Greg,

If there is a kill button on the bike you may want to disable it. You may also want to carefully inspect the wires leading from your ignition looking for any bare areas that could be shorting out, especially in and around the ignition flywheel area, and coming thru the case, as well as the rest of the wiring.

If at some time you could provide the serial number off the steering head I would appreciate it, always curious as to the vintage of these Steel Tankers.

Thanks and good luck.
Paul

harrO

Hi Greg. Real easy to set timing too advanced if using mark on case as a reference. Be careful...good luck.  Harry

Gtomcon

Thanks for the info , only wire I'm using is too the coil , no kill button , I will add the
Ground as suggested , Paul the vin # looks too be V3622 that puts it a 1970 ?
Greg

Paul Danik

Greg,

I have an original sales receipt for V 3132 dated August 11, 1970, your machine is 490 machines afterward, so 1970 would be very logical.

Paul

Gtomcon

Hello again took stator apart added ground wire ,timing and points set , big big blue
Spark ,fired right up for about 2-3 seconds ,now no spark ? The points I bought from
Biker buzzard (ebay) the condenser is sports parts inc.#01-128 also is their a
Specific gap between the stator coil and the flywheel/rotor ?
Thank you all for the help
Greg

Gtomcon

Hello, Got her running ! Wire seemed a bit louse at the condenser , fixed , now just
A matter of timing , and tune carb ect. Their are two screws on carb, what are they,
Idol/air ? Also what should be timing set at ? 3 degrees BDC ? And does anyone
Sell aftermarket fenders that are the same or close ?

Thanks Greg

Mike Schulz

Hi Greg,
We purchased alloy fenders for our 1970 steel tankers V2080 and V2870 from N Field Gear of Faribault MN. 1 800 358-0938. Front fender is part # Z90605 21"x 4" and the rear fender is part #Z90607 18 - 19" x 5". You will have to cut them to length and drill them to mount them. Use rubber washers when you mount them. They are available from Al B. He also has the mud flap for the front fender. These fenders are very close to the originals and are easy to polish with Mothers aluminum polish. Welcome to the group!
Mike Schulz