What would you do with.......

Started by Dennis Jones, January 07, 2004, 08:00:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dennis Jones

a barn fresh 1975 125cc Six Days in full enduro trim that followed you home from work? I ask because I don't know what AHRMA class this bike would be in. The production date is 12 of 74. Would this allow it to be vintage legal or would it have to be PV? My first thought was to use all the cool parts on other bikes i.e. 35mm front end on my 73 Piner, 6D engine on my 74 classic mx, and who couldn't use extra alloy wheels, but I hate to part out a bike this complete. The forward mount shocks look really cool and the rear most mount looks to be in the same location as the early 74 frame. Does anyone else have one of these, it's the first one I've seen. Thanks

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

Randy Kirkbride

Hi Dennis,
I have one just like that, except it doesn't have the enduro kit.  The 6D motor came with the internal flywheel motoplat so I don't have a lighting coil. Mine also has a serial# of 12-74.   Back in 75 I had a new one just like this one so when this one came along, I couldn' pass it up. Karl S also has one. I've had mine for 8 years now.  Do you want to sell thatm one?:D

imported_n/a

Great find!!

I believe AHRMA rules say that any Sachs-powered Penton can race in the Vintage Classic 125 class, and the Sportsman 125 if you dare.  You must keep with the 7" and 4" suspension requirements.

Keep your '75 intact and get it back in shape.  If you search this site Karl previously inquired of Poggers to find out how many of these bikes exist.  If your frame is the "laydown" multi-position Sachs Penton frame, it is rare.  Good luck.

Glenn

Paul Danik

Dennis,
   Nice find!!  I have a poster of your machine that I bought on ebay which was included in a Dirt Rider magazine.  It is the size of 4 magazine pages when it unfolds and features Tom Penton doing a wheelie on an enduro version of your machine. It has Falk fenders, laydown shocks, 6D engine, enduro tank, and a speedo.  I will bring it to the POG meeting at the AMA on Feb. 7th for you to see.  

As far as what to do with your machine, easy question, it needs to go to the guy who has a poster of it in use!!!!!  Wanna trade for an Alouette????
Paul

Randy Kirkbride

Paul,
Is there a Kinko's or some other copy place close to you that could copy that poster?  I sure would be interested in one for my 'WALL of FAME'.  I'll make it worth your while.  Thanks

rob w

..........you can,

a) sell it to some collector that will stick it amongst the the other pile of valuable bikes somewhere in the corner of the world, which will never be seen again.

or  

b) you can bring it out to the races, maybe win a cross-country championship, and have it be enjoyed by the masses.

Everytime I see Karl's Sixday I drool and wish for the day that I may be riding the same model of Penton.

Congrats Dennis on finding a winner, you're a lucky boy!!!

Bob

metalkfab

Dennis,My '75 125 was a MX model without lights and it had a internal rotor ignition.I've ran it in the Sportsman class with the shocks upright and spacer added(to met the 4" rule).I think the bike is as fast or faster than the jap crap,I'm just a slower rider.I put a different ignition on mine and ran the ISDTRR with the shocks layed-down for max travel and she rode and handled GREAT,just had to run in the PV class.This bike is my favorite of all the Pentons I have.The power is fantastic and since I've put on the heavier flywheel it is much more controllable.I'll NEVER part with mine,(I've been offered $4000 for it and to me it's worth more).If you want to sell it,PLEASE e-mail me!!! When the ISDTRR finished,a couple of Huskey riders commented to me that the bike seemed to float down the trails and would go wherever I pointed it and danced along edges of ruts that they rode IN.IT is truly an fantastic handling bike well worth keeping.Unless you want me to have it.I ride mine weekly at a local outlaw MX track and if not for the supercross jumps,I can mix it up with the modern bikes.

Rocket

Dennis or Metalkfab,
If you have a picture of your bike showing the frame, I would really like to see it.  I have a 77 100, the frame is different than the rest of the Sachs powered bikes I have.  I would like to compare what you have to mine.
thanks
Rocket
[email protected]

tlanders

I also have a '75 Six Day MXer with the dual position rear shock frame. I raced it a number of times in AHRMA races in 2001 and 2002 in the Classic 125 class. It is a very competitive bike if you don't miss a shift. It is incredibly fun to race. It has non mud catching alloy rims, PVL ignition, titanium handle bar, trick aluminum pipe, and a 6D engine that is not the stuffed crankcase type. I seized it in the last Missouri race in 2002 and still haven't gotten it back together again. I raced it in a moto just after racing the 400. My impression at the time was I left it wide open too long expecting more from it after racing the 400. Others have said that it should be able to be left wide open for ever and not seize. It was especially cold that day and may have just been lean enough to seize it.

Teddy

Paul Danik

Randy,
   I will bring the poster to the meeting tomorrow nite.
Paul

Dennis Jones

!!!WOW!!! I new I had a keeper, but not this cool! Paul I wondered who would be the first with your suggestion. Although this bike is well used, it is very complete. Looks like my Tyran project will get pushed back again. Rod I will try to send pictures but it may take a while. Bob, no danger of selling to a collector here, anything I have gets rode :D

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

firstturn

To all owners of the '74/74 Sachs powered Pentons with the lay down shocks.
Since we seem to have agathering of this one style of bike why don't we  list our frame #'s.

Mine is 40977001

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Randy Kirkbride

Paul,
Thanks, I'll be there.

Ron,
My Six Days is #412 80151

Rocket

Serial number for my 77 100:  703 93854  What is the highest serial number that anybody has recorded?
Rod

Dennis Jones

Hi Ron, My serial # is 41280161

Randy, Mine has a way to go before it looks like the picture of yours.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones