Training

Started by tmc3c, January 25, 2004, 11:32:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tmc3c

Now that I am 45 the extra weight is gaining on me, I have been off a bike for ten years. How are ya'll working out? anybody got the hot set up? Or is that sit up?[^]

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

rob w

Thomas, It's not the spare tire that will slow you down, it's that mind set of telling yourself you're getting old. Most of all ride, ride and then ride some more.
Bob

imported_n/a

Thom, check with Teddy Landers, then ride and ride and ride etc!

tmc3c

Bob haven't you heard that saying : The older I get, the faster I was ! I love your idea on training, sounds fun!!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

imported_n/a

Tom,

How about a Schwinn Airdyne and free weights in the basement, just in case the urge strikes to work out.

Bicycling in the good weather, also.

Most importantly, whatever works for you is best.

Glenn

AndyL

Tom,
Just try to back off on the calories (and carbs if you want).  Avoid that extra helping and the stuff you know you shouldnt eat anyway. And then try to work in some exercise.

I try to run/jog 5 times a week.  Once the Vintage MX season starts, it sure does help when you get to the 4th moto in the late afternoon.

Still sore the next day, mostly upper body and back, but at least I can get up and work the next day.

Good luck.

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Randy Kirkbride

Andy,
Are you going to be racing that Jackpiner this year?  I'd sure like to see that.

Steve Minor

Seems like I have a few pages out of an old training booklet by Rolf Tibblin...(yes, I used to ride a Husqvarna before I "saw the light")...... I remember one thigh exercise where you put your back against the wall and sit in an imaginary chair. Try holding that position for about 5 minutes...OUCH!

I'd be glad dig them up, scan them this week, and email them to anyone interested.

Steve
Steve Minor

tmc3c

Yeah Steve send them to me if you dont mind , i am already on that carb free diet but I am just holding my own and I need to work out to boost the weight loss. How is the weather your way?

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Steve Minor

As I remember, they were endurance building exercises with a few strength routines thrown in for good measure. I'd be glad to send them Thomas...just give me a few days to dig them up and scan them......I'll get it this week for sure.

As fas as the weather, we got freezing rain most of yesterday and it's continued most of today. The forecast is for more of the same this evening.
Steve Minor

LynnCamp

I suggest that ya'll grab the mop, the vacuum cleaner, the window washing equipment, the duster, the carpet cleaner, the furniture waxer (remember Karate Kid's training -- wax on-wax off) .....  I guarantee you will get in shape and make the women in your household VERY happy which is likely to have some other side benefits and exercises!:D Alternatively, I suggest you pump that beer bottle up and down while you lean against the wall doing that thigh exercise thing. -- sorry -- I just couldn't resist ---[}:)]

swamp fox

Lynn,
That's cold!  We all profess to run things around the house, but we don't want to admit to too much. I had my doctor tell me on my last physical that I was in pretty good shape, and inquired what I did for it. I told him it was nothing more than chasing an 8yr old around the house. He said keep it up. And with my little miracle monster, it's not hard to do!

Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
Robert Manucy
72 Berkshire
72 Six Day
82 Honda cr250r
04 BMW K 1200 GT - KIA in N. Ga. - 32987 smiles
08 BMW K 1200 S
17 Ktm 300 Six Day (50th Aniversary) ;)

Gavin Housh

I've been training most of my adult life. The trick is to never stop. Don't get into a work out that becomes boring. Try to mix it up a little. Try a brisk walk on monday. Tuesday ride the mountain bike. Wed. do some calisthenics, pilates, or yoga. Thur. ride the road bicycle. Fri. go for another walk or jog. Weekends are for riding, motorcycle, bicycle, what ever you got. Save one day a week for honey do stuff. At one time I could stand in a martial arts horse stance for one hour. Stand against the wall with your legs bent like your sitting in a chair. Keep your back striaght against the wall. Then squeeze a basket ball between your knees with enough pressure to keep the ball from falling out.This will achieve the same results as the martial arts stance, and realy helps build strong legs. It's all about moderation, and building your stength slowly. Remember to stretch every day if you can. If your serious you can pay a personal trainer to help you untill you feel comfortable on your own. If you drink my first advice would be DON'T. If you still need a drink now and then try to keep it to one a day. Remember your body is the only one you get so you need to take good care of it . Almost as good care as you take of your Penton. I'll be riding my bicycle from Everett Washington to Williamsburg Virginia this summer. That's 3380 mi in 26 days. It's all about setting a goal for yourself and then stick to the steps you set for yourself to reach that goal. Good luck, Gavin.

AndyL

Randy,
I got the Piner sorted out this last fall and got to put several hours on it on both 'backyard' mx tracks and some trails.  It handles very nice and with the rear shocks layed down it is very smooth, especially on braking bumps going into the turns.

I am afraid that I have to tear into the clutch on it because the last time I took it out into KS, it was slipping badly in first.  Never been into a Penton/KTM clutch so it should be an adventure. (I also have an 85 KTM 250MX and from a quick look, the clutches look very similar.)

My plan is to get the clutch done and get it out to a few MOVMX events this year.  Probably just run it in the +40 class and see if I can knock off a few 250's.

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

Randy Kirkbride

Andy,
Glad you got it sorted out OK, & I'm sure you'll get the clutch problem fixed, too.  You'll love the extra power over those Hodie's.
Good Luck