No regrets.

Started by OhioTed, April 21, 2004, 04:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Had a conversation with a (younger) associate yesterday, during which time he described as how his doctor told him to quit playing basketball.  "Why?", this fellow asked the MD.  "I love playing basketball, and it is great excercise."  Well, the doc told him that by terminating this healthful activity now, he would POSSIBLY avoid the POTENTIAL of an injury.  What that doctor said is probably accurate.  However, as I considered this, measured against my own hard-earned aches, pains, and physical limitations, brought about by years of dirt bike riding, racing, and crashing, I am certain that I would not trade one single riding experience for better physical shape.  I regret nothing, and plan to continue my activities involving motorcycles for as long as I am possibly able to do so.  As was expressed in another post recently, the experiences and the people I have known as the result of motorcycling are worth it.  Of this I have no doubt.   TED G.

rd400pi

Right on the money!  (I just realized that my post could go either way.  Sorry but, I was trying to agree with the "keep riding crowd").

Mike H.

atk114

Ted,

I couldn't agree more. I wonder if the Dr. also told him of the risks of leaving his house. I mean, he could get hit by a truck on his way to work?

I hope he continues to play basketball, and enjoy life the best he can.

Thanks,

Keith R. Larson
Keith R. Larson

Rocket

You might as well enjoy life as much as you can, "this is not a dress rehearsal", when it's over, it's OVER!!
Rocket

tmc3c

What is the use of living in a box? I never feel more alive than when riding and especially that split second between busting you butt and saving it!!!! The time when you look around and see if anybody saw you save it!!! when you ride a long afterwards and be yelling as loud as you can inside of your helmet,YEAHHHH YEAHHHH !!! tell me guys is that just me or have ya'll felt that too???:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

Dennis Jones

Every time I ride:D

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

jchev

Go for it. Over 20 years ago I had a DR tell me it would be at least a years before I could work again. I had back surgery. The first time I asked the Dr when I woke up was how soon I could race again. He found out later that 3 weeks later I was riding and 3 months later I was back at work on our farm. I still do all the things I want. Are there any races in Missouri?

Jeff Chevalier
Jeff Chevalier

OhioTed

T.C.,  I love it!  You had me bustin' out laughing, 'cause I have done exactly what you described, more times than I could ever remember.  Say, why IS it that no one is ever around to see the great moves, but there is always an audience for "oops & plop" stuff?

don howard

For Ohio Ted.   Right on I have had knee,s,shoulder, neck injury,s and now only one Kidney left but i still ride at least once a week. Would,nt have traded it for anything of what i did. Loved every minute of it. The 03 ISDT in Mass. was one of the highlights of my riding days. well just keep on enjoying I am 70 years old and still doing it.   Don Howard

Mick Milakovic

I like to think that riding and racing help keep me thinking, acting, and feeling younger.  Just look at Teddy:  close to 20 years older than me and last weekend he rode 4 motos on Saturday and to CCs on Sunday!

Mick

tmc3c

Ohio Ted, Tell me, don't you feel ALIVE when that happen's ? That moment when you are yelling out loud like a kid !! Wow I tell ya I sure do!!:D

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OhioTed

You guys all are my heros!  Thanks for backing me up with your like feelings on the subject.  There are no better people in the world than motorcycle folks.  T.C. - I sure do!!!

AndyL

Hey Jeff Chevalier!
Take a quick look over at //www.movmx.com

Vintage mx racing all over the state.  We go to Thayer MO (Teddy's area) this sunday.  Should be alot of fun and several Pentons will be in attendance!

Andy #14u

Andy
Andy
#14u
MOVMX, AMA, AHRMA

tomale

I am so glad to be back in the saddle after all these years. I realize that I may end up with more pain down the road because I have chosen to ride again, but then if I did anything physical that could happen. What does it matter I already have some pain now. But not from bikes but all the years that I spent trying to make a living. We only get one shot at this, Why live with regrets. I must admit though some of the best about my riding again is not the bike at all but the people that I have enjoyed while I was riding(present company included). Terry and I were out for a short ride today and I tell ya, As we sat there taking in the view of the massive rock cliffs on the mountains just a few miles away and the valley that layed out before us just below, as great as that moment was it would not have been as great if I had not shared it with a friend. There will come a day when I will not be able to ride anymore but hopfully that will not be for quite a few years. If I did it just for me then that is just about as shallow as I think you can get. I love it but it is even more fun and meaningful when you bring someone else along... or maybe three.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

tmc3c

Word's well spoken, Thom !!! I am now getting a XR200R right to bring my son riding and he is already with me in the garage working on his bike with me and I can tell you it really feels great!

Thomas Carmichael
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler