Gas/oil ratio & types.

Started by Lloyd Boland, May 01, 2004, 12:59:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lloyd Boland

Ron,
Thank you very, very much for your candid input.  I can't tell you guys how much this forum helps.  I don't feel like I'm making wild guesses or doing something that is crazy.  Thanks again.

Lloyd.

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by Dwight Rudder

Quotequote:Originally posted by Speedy

OK,I have read all your oil wisdom and here comes my oil story again.
In 1962 I rode my very first ISDT as private in the West German Team in the South German Alps.(GARMISCH PARTENKIRCHEN)
I rode my DKW 175 GS.At this time we all mixed 25-1(Castrol oil).
I was aproched by a MUNICH OIL Company called OPTIMOL OIL WERKE MUENCHEN.They offered me there oil free,gasoline free and money for finishing  the ISDT and more money if I would win a GOLD.
BUT,.....I had to use(and not modify)there mixture of 50-1.
Wow,I was scared,but after a long discussion I decided(and some other riders to)to take the offer.A bit carb mod.followed and then came the start of the first day.No bike used to start easy at this days on a cold morning after beeing impoundet for 2 days.My DKW started first kick,and in seconds I was out of sight of my 4 other riders riding in my minute.This was happening every morning.The engine ran SMOKE FREE(what was very unusable at this days,)I had one of the fastest engine in the 175 class.Then came the 6.day ROAD RACING test.Would the engine take the wide open speed on the road course???I run away in the combined 175-250 class with only two riders on 250 in my shadow.In the last corner before the finish line I was drifted to the outside and hit the strawbales with my footpegs and the 2 250s slipped by me to make me 3.But I won my GOLD and the top OIL MONEY.
In the following years I used OPTIMOL OILs only and NEVER EVER had a engine(OIL related ) problems.TEN YEARS LATER,(I was now living and racing in Canada using BARDAHL oils 50-1)
 a Canadian Importer aproached me,to test a special racing oil from Germany but I have to use it as the oil Co.recomended.100-1.A quick resurch told me it was OPTIMOL OIL MUNICH.Because I was guarantied to be paid for any engine damage I begun to use the (FREE) oil in my Zuendapp and Hercules GS + OSSA  bikes.I have never used any other oil then OPTIMOL 100-1 in any of my bikes to the day.2 or 4 stroke it is IMO the finest oil in the world.
OPTIMOL is now distributed by INTERLUBE INTERNATIONAL INC.out of Bellingham Washington USA.
//www.opti2-4.com
For more of my pers.expirience talk to me.
Speedy------->>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

I will say if I was to run a oil leaner than 40:1 , I would go with Optimal. I use it in my Aeroplane engine ( low rpm , 100:1 ) but I also used it in my Hodaka 100B a couple months ago when we had a VINDURO trail ride for 2 days up in the mountains of Oklahoma and N.Ark. I mixed at 80:1 , no smoke , no problems and I ran the piss out of the poor little bike for 176 miles in 2 days.  Speedy likes it so it can't be all bad. Now I haven't had a long term test with this oil. I still like the richer 40:1 mixture better though. It just ain't natural to run 100:1 in a racing Motorcycle !  Why can't Optimol make a racing motorcycle oil to be sold though bike shops. It just isn't right having to buy oil from a Lawn and Garden shop.
Cher'o,
Dwight

Dwight Rudder
7 time ISDT / E medalist
8 time National Enduro Class Champion.

A very simple answer.When I realiesed that some Canadian dealers raced OPTI but did not sell it I ask them ""HOW COME???)
The grinning answer was:
1.To good a oil.People dont have engine trouble anymore,and I need to repair engines.
2.Using less the 50 % by mixing 100-1 means I am selling a lot less oil then when I sell crap.(They would love to go back to 20-1)
But lately because of the exellent results, Optimol is available at a lot of GOOD AWNEST MC DEALERS.If there is NO AWNEST DEALER around,its not a big deal to go to the small engine shop to get it.
Cheers,Speedy--------->>>>>>>>

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs GP-GS 250-7A reeds
Zuendapp 125 GS ISDT repl.73
KTM 450 EXC Auto.03
Duke spec.Edit,1996
Adventurer 02

Kip Kern

OK Helmut, I just went to the Lawn Mower Supply and purchased some OPTI-2.  I will give it a try and see how it works!  The weed eater gets it first!;)

TGTech

I really don't know where to go with any information that I may have, but I'll try.

First off, Yamalube and K2R, (Kawasaki's general purpose oil) are both made by Cities Service, and it is exactly the same product, with different dyes. The Yamalube is purple and the K2R is green.

Oils today, are almost all blended. Synthetics are generally used for high temperature applications and petroleums are generally used for high loads. The higher the RPM, the higher the temperatures, consequently, synthetics are better than petroleums in high revving engines.

Outboards and aircraft, are both fairly low and steady RPM compared to motorcycle engines, consequently, oils made for these engines, are fairly can be made to handle conditions in a fairly narrow scope of use. On the plus side, they have to be clean, because engines of this sort, have to keep running, otherwise, the operator can be in big trouble. If they were to get too dirty, and the engine's performance suffered, the user could be in harms way, and they can't afford that.

When you use different use parameters for the machine, the demands for it's lubricant's change. Motocross is generally a higher RPM use, than enduro or hare scrambles use. Consequently, the demand on the oils is quite a bit different.

In motocross, since your engine is usually at a higher RPM, the loads do not develop, because there isn't time to load a crank pin bearing. But, the temperatures do get higher, than in enduro use. The only connecting rod I know about that the Penton Teams ever lost, was on a 175 that Tom Penton was riding at a National in New Jersey. And that was probably because, he had his tank filled with straight gas at the mid race gas stop. And even then, he went all the way through a few woods sections before coming out on a sand road and was trying to catch up on time. The oil, of course, was Hi Point/Golden Spectro, mixed at 53:1 (one bottle to 5 gallons)

In my son's Kawasaki motocrossers, I've always used Golden Spectro, first mixed at 53:1 while he was a beginner, but when he got to the advanced stage and when he was pushing the engines hard, we went to 32:1. And we've never lost a rod, piston, or rings due to oil failure. And I've never really worn out a top end. When you are at the level of competition that Paul has been at, you keep things in as tip top condition, as you can. If you don't, you won't be able to stay in the hunt.

I'm a firm believer in do what works for you, tempered with reliable, believeable information. If you don't have some failures, you never learn, but at least your wallet doesn't shrink as quickly.

Dane

Tennessee Vol

This is my first post just wanted to put in my 2 cents I have been using Dura-Lube [it is now called champion]for the past 18 years and have had 9 new motorcycles.I buy it buy the gallon and pour it into the old clear Dura-lube bottles.I wonder why all you guys have overlooked this oil it is great.
 I have never had a fouled plug or got a rod in a bike [lots and lots of races],and I have won several class championships enduro and harescrambles and national enduro class championship.
 Which leads to the point I have not really seen mentioned in all the posts,it all boils down to how you clean and properly oil your air filter.Also if you guys have seen the new filter skins to put over your filter is super they are worth a try you will be very pleased.
 Just wanted to put in my word sorry if I preached all of you guys have probably forgot more about bikes than I know.

Bobby Joe Stults
1974 175 Jackpiner
!974 125 Six days
1979 Can-am 250 Qualifier
1978 Harley 250 Mx [in progress]
2002 Kx 250
Bobby Stults

firstturn

Boby Joe,
  Thank you for your input and welcome to the POG site.  Sounds like you are the expert with all that racing and NO failures.  I am glad to hear you bring up the great point on air cleaners.  WELCOME

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tomale

Yes, Thanks guys, This has been very edjukayshunol(educational)I have learned more about 2 stroke oil from this discussion than I ever knew before in all the years I ever used the stuff. I did not know that smaller engines required a different  gas/oil ratio than the bigger bikes. Or for that matter why,
I use to think that the reason for the differences had to do with the quality of the oil. Ie castor based oils are better than Petroleum based oil. Synthetic oils being the best. The first I ever heard like that was a product Kloz.... I think that was the way you spelled it.
I quess that it is time to make up different gas cans for each size bike and specific to the riding activity.

Thom Green,I own and ride a 76 250 MC5 MX which I bought new.
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W