seeking info on "Mettco Penton"

Started by OhioTed, July 30, 2004, 09:16:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

David, The Zundapp-engined Penton was ridden by Billy Payne in 1973.

OH. Ted, Forgive me for the misleading information on the existence of Mr. Hayes. Next time I'll ask for a second opinion before I pass on an ugly rumor like that. Sorry...but hey, that's good news I was wrong.

Thanks
See ya
Bob

OhioTed

Bob, I am also very glad to hear that Mr. Hayes is still kicking.  David, would you have any idea how to get in touch with him?  If I could hook up with Mr. Hayes, he would certainly be the best person to provide the whole story on Mettco.  TED

bubu13

Hi all... I'm new here, I just discovered this forum.
It's been quite awhile but here's what I recall from my CMC days.
I had two 125's built by Mettco back in 72-73. So I used to hang out there quite a bit. I do remember that Fred Hayes was one of the nicest people you could ever meet. I was not a Pro, but yet he would take the time to help set up my bikes. Also, some the top 125cc riders at the time worked there; Chuck Bower, Bruce McDougal, Danny LaPorte and Mike Garrett... and they were always happy to give advice and share racing stories.

I know this is an old thread but here is a link to     
Hayes Diversified Technologies:
//www.m1030.com/home.htm

I spoke with Mike Garrett about five years ago and he was working at FMF, he's another you can contact about Mettco history.

dkwkid

Here,s one for you all. I have a bunch of old cycle news papers.Ascot Park raced MX on Wednesday nights. I have a really neat picture of Chuck Bower winning on a 125 Mettco Penton. In the picture you can clearly see the KTM low end motor. 125 or 175? or sachs barrel on a KTM?
 Tim Hart raced a DKW with a 64 tooth rear sprocket and a down pipe.Don't know if Emler ported it or not. I do know that uncle Donny turned my brother's stock 100cc into a rocket! If someone talks to Emler find out if he still has pipe dimensions for Sachs motors.

bubu13

Ahh, The good old days!  Ascot on Wedsdays, Irwindale on Thursdays(?), Lions on Fridays, then on the weekends at either Carlsbad or Saddleback... I really had it bad back then... ha ha!!!

I don't recall the KTM lower end on Bowers 125... but, he did also race the 250 class on occasion though.

And Tim Hart raced a DKW?... never saw that either, but then again it has been over 30 years and the memory ain't what it used to be.[:0] Hart rode a Maico for Bob Bailey before he went to Yamaha... I know that because Bailey's shop was about a block from my home.
http://www.bobbailey.com/

Uncle Donny did port work and built a pipe for my 250cc Maico back in 74... if FMF can't make your bike fast, nobody can. [8D]
http://www.fmfracing.com/

socalmx

DKWKid who is also known as my brother is correct regarding Tim Hart's DKW ride at Ascot. Normally he raced a Maico but their 125 was right down there at the bottom (with the CZ 125)in terms of performance. I know that his bike was prepared out of Competition Services of San Pedro so not sure who did the engine work.

I raced District 37 desert trailbike (100cc) class in the early seventies. I purchased a new DKW 100 and found out quickly that it could not keep up with the king of the trailbike class..the Harley Baja. I took engine to FMF for a little work. They milled the head .060, ported the cylinder, and built a new pipe for it. This transformed the bike into one of the fastest 100's racing in the desert at the time (lots of Saturday drag races proved it). The most memorable moment is when I was racing and caught up to a friend riding a Berkshire just as we came out of the desert onto a fire road. We cleared the berm and plopped down on the road at almost a dead stop. We both immediately hit full throttle and started working the gears. The course went down the road for a couple of miles then turned back into desert trails. By the time I got to the end of the road, I had gained about a quarter mile lead on him. Made me feel good but he was not too happy about it!

Dale Fisher

Web surfing netted this info.......

http://guerrantwebworks.com/hdt/history.htm

Dale Fisher
Penton Owners Group - Memberships
Facebook - Cheney Twinshock Racing Group - Administrator

1970 Six-Day 125
1971 Six-Day 125 (Dave Fisher's)
1973 Jackpiner 175
1974 Berkshire 100
And some silly other bikes...
Dale Fisher

Former POG President,
Memberships, and Merchandising - Retired
Mudlark Registry

tomale

Very cool link, what a thought, a diesel dirt bike!
A few years ago, my friend Bill Cappel bought a Mettco Penton, I have no idea whether it was a replica or the real thing but it was very cool. It was very fast! I asked and he let me ride it!very cool.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

OUCWBOY

Thom,
That Mettco Penton that Bill has is a replica. One of the Fastest 125's I have ever ridden. The bike was built by Marc Biro, who did a wonderful job with that bike. I bought it from Marc, sold it and it later made it's way into Bill's collection. Wish I had kept it!

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tomale

I wondered about that, Billy has a bunch of very nice bikes, I first met Bill back in 03, He had connected with a friend of mine and I was enlisted to help him transport Bills first vintage bike, which he raced at the first ever vintage race in Kalamath falls. Bill and I have been friends ever since, though it has been awhile since I have seen him.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
74' 1/2 440 maico
70' 400 maico (project)
72' cr125 Husky (project)
93' RMx 250 suzuki

74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Paul Danik

The last couple of years at VMD they have had a life member breakfast, two years ago Al Born and I attended together and had the pleasure of sitting with Mr. & Mrs. Fred Hayes, they are absolutely wonderful folks...  After the breakfast Fred went to his car and gave Al and I each a Mettco T shirt :) :)

This past year I attended the life member breakfast on my own as our wonderful friend Al had passed away. Fred and Mrs. Hayes said they sure missed Al, as we all do.

Just wanted to share this....

Paul

Marc Biro

OUCWBOY

Marc,
I think everyone that has had it feels the same way. You did an awesome job with this bike.  It was of the highest quality I have ever seen. You do the best work I've seen. Thank You!

Donny Smith
Paragould, AR
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

socalmx

Very clean looking bike but I don't see the trademark rivets around the gas tank lip. Every Penton sold by them had both the sticker and the rivets. I spoke with Fred Hayes and Bruce McDougal at a Trailblazer's banquet a couple of years ago. I had taken my Penton Berkshire to display and they stopped by to chat. It was a fun event!