Home Page Photo Quiz - August 2004

Started by Admin, August 14, 2004, 09:36:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob w

Okay, I'm ready to enter another guess...Is number 4 Larry Maiers.
I'm going with that.
?
bob

firstturn

Rob,
  No sir.  I have the spurs and the one bullet ready.[:o)]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

Do we have to ride around in a 1962 Ford Galaxy, or can we ride a horse?

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

Mick Milakovic

Nope, save the horse, ride a cowboy!

Mick

Mike OReilly

The "original Penton wrecking crew" at the Berkshire in May '68. As featured on the cover of Still...Keeping Track, No. 7, Summer 2000. No. 4 and No. 6 would be Cliff Chaffe and Ralph Haslage respectively.
A classic and memorable shot. Four "new" Pentons, and two Huskys which were ridden by #5 and #6.
Al Born and Doug Wilford told the tale of the arrival of the very first batch of Pentons, a couple of months earlier, at the this years "Penton day at the AMA". Don't miss it next year.
Mike

Mike OReilly

P.S. I know others have made similar requests...but, does anyone have an extra copy of Issue #1?
Thanks,
Mike

firstturn

Mike,
  You went to exactly where I was hoping that someone would go to find the answer.  You may notice that it isn't exactly the picture that is on the Still Keeping Track but close enough for horse shoes.  You may have one error on you answer, and the Sheriff has gone to the UPJ (Unofficial Penton Judge) for a ruling.  I will try to get the Judge in session, but you know how the Big Time Guys operate[:0].  More soon.  
  Mike I have an original of SKT #1 will a copy do?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OUCWBOY

I went back through the copies I have, but I don't go back that far.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

firstturn

Donny,
  Ohio is a long way from Dan Siego.  Don't give up on Pony Express.

Mike,
  The part that I thought might be in error was (is?) that I thought this picture might have been taken in 1969 at the Bershires.  The obvious answer is 1968, but we wills see.  Either way someone will jump in and settle it for us.
  Who is #1?

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Mike OReilly

You're absolutely right. This is not the exactsame picture as on the cover of Still...Keeping Track. Because "Mr. #1", Al Born's, head is in slightly different positions in each of them. They were obviously taken moments apart. As to the year, we'll hear from the experts I'm sure.
As for issue #1, a copy would do just fine, thanks much. I will get an address to you separately.
Mike

OUCWBOY

I'm betting the year was 68, due to the fact that one of the bikes has the 68 style headlight. I'm sure that if it were 69 they would have the latest and greatest of everything, including the lights.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

OUCWBOY

Mick,
That has been my motto for years!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

TGTech

I still haven't seen a complete list of these hooligans.

Dane

firstturn

OK, the Senior Tech has spoken.  Any one want to give Dane what he ask for?  Remember this guy is the same guy that takes care of all our MotoPlat and PVL problems besides being Mr.Bershire.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

rob w

Left to right. Al Born, Tom Penton, Leroy Winters, Cliff Chaffe, John Penton, and Ralph Haslage.

Thanks Mike, that SKT was before my entry to the POG.

At this 1968 Berkshire International Enduro / Trial, John Penton was the only entry completing the 350 mile two-day enduro portion of the trials with a perfect score, and the only one to receive a Gold Medal.

Leroy Winters riding a 125 Penton lost only 3 marks to be the top Silver Medal winner.

I'll guess that van is a dark green '65 or '66 Chevy.

thanks
Bob

Also at that event the "Manufacters Team Winner" was the Penton Team.