Home Page Photo Quiz - November 2004

Started by Admin, November 01, 2004, 07:07:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TGTech

The last year for the parallel stripe ISDT helmets, was 1970, the El Escorial event. I was just learning about the ISDT at that point, so I didn't go. The next year, when I was chosen to go the Isle of Man for the ISDT, I didn't even know that I'd be getting a new helmet. When I learned that I was going to get one, I was so excited, that I'd be getting a striped helmet. When the helmets arrived, they had the "skunk stripe" pattern and frankly, I was rather disappointed about it.

For those that don't know about the striped helmets, let me fill you in. Each country that entered the ISDT, had a particular color pattern to their helmets, so you could identify the country of the rider. There used to be pictures of the different countries' helmets, in the FIM rules, but I was unable to locate them in the current rules.

Dane

BrianTaylor

Dane I have something if you want me to send to you or to the admin to post  for the different colours of countries ..... Brian T ( green with white stripe ) :)

Brian Taylor
Brian Taylor

firstturn

Dane,
  Thanks for the input and correct answer on the helmet.  I especially appreciate the part where you got your new helmet for 1971 and were disappointed.  GREAT STORY.

Since we now have discovered 1971 was the first year of the New type Skunk Design helmet just for fun lets see if anyone knows who was the top American that year at the 6 Day ISDT?

O.Sherriff

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

G Ellis

Dane Leimbach with a score of 0,64.1 Gold metal.

firstturn

Ron Carbaugh

G Ellis

firstturn

[V].....not correct, but the good news is you answered a VERY tough question in record time. Thanks.
O.Sherriff

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

Tennessee Vol

Bobby Stults

taxman

I'll take a guess. I recall Dane riding a 125 locally back than, so my guess is a 125. Boy those were the days, when Dane and the Penton Bros. showed at Meadowlarks you figured on dropping several places. Simply unbeatable in the early 70's. Fond memories.

Jim
Jim

Randy Kirkbride

firstturn

[^]  Correct it is a 100 Penton Berkshire.  Thanks Bobby and Randy..........my favorite Penton.  Makes one wonder about the old argument of big bike verses small bike.  Congratulations Dane.  What a performance on your first ISDT.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

TGTech

I guess I was just focusing on the true format of the event: team competition. I never paid any attention to the individual results until firstturn pointed it out to me. Thanks for noticing.

Dane

G Ellis

Ron was that Dane's first 6 day? I was just wondering if it was.

TGTech

That was my first ISDT. It just goes to show, that ignorance is bliss. I had no concept of the magnitude of the event, and just went about doing the best I could.

Dane

G Ellis

I am waiting on some more info on the bike from this post. We know who the rider is, and event. What about the bike? What was the water bottle for? What is so special about the bike?