Lectron vs Bing

Started by Steve Minor, January 07, 2005, 11:02:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve Minor

I'm about to start a 77' 125 GS6 project (rider). It has a Lectron carb on it and I'd like to hear some opinions on changing it out for a Bing. My 77' 400 GS6 has a Bing and I'm thinking it might be better to set the 125 up with a Bing too.

Also, if I do go with a Bing, what size should I start looking for? Something like a 30mm or 32mm?

As always, all comments are welcome and appreciated.
Steve Minor

Chakka

Steve,
I am restoring a 1976 125 which currently has no carb. I would like to buy a Lectron, I had one on my old Hercules and I loved it. Can you tell me the size of the one on your bike? Also if you are going to install a Bing and wish to sell the Lectron...Im your guy. Let me know.
Chris

hrbay

Steve, the carb choice depends on the manifold or inlet size you have, the Bing 32 and 30 were the same  o.d. with a sleeve in the 30's manifold side to make it the same size as the inlet port.  You could probably find more 32's around but all can be made to fit. The 32 will probably be better for mx when jetted right, than the 30. Good hunting.

GC
GC

Steve Minor

Chakka....I'm still undecided about the Lectron to Bing switch, but I'll keep your offer to buy the Lectron in mind. One factor is the availability of a 32mm Bing.
Steve Minor

tomale

STeve, If you do not have a good working Bing why would you even consider it? Bings are good carbs but they are expensive and getting parts is hard. I just ordered a bigger pilot jet for my 38 Bing and i was $11.83 plus shipping with a Mikuni I can get them locally and I do not have to pay any where near that much. Besides from my experience they meter better and tune alot easier. As soon as I can I will exchange my Bing for a Mikuni. The Bing is looking like it is wearing out and will be cost prohibitive to replace it with another Bing.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Steve Minor

Tom.......I really don't have a good explaination...but my thoughts were that it might be more simple to put a Bing on this 125 because I have a Bing on my 400. Do you have any experience with Lectrom carbs? If so, what are your thoughts on performance and ease of maintenance?
Steve Minor

tomale

HI Steve, All I know about lectrons is what I have read. I would love to set one up for my 400 but do not even know where to get one and what it would cost to to buy one. I have read that they work alot better than the stock Bings and that the Penton boys use to run them. I understand that the Lectrons are not legal for AHRMA events which is strange since they were being used during that period and even came stock on some of the Pentons as well as some of the KTM's That ought to say something about how good they are over a Bing or a Mikuni.... I understand about keeping all your bike with the same kind of Carbs. I will be interested to see what some of the other guys have to say. It sounds like a great project. keep us posted. I for one am interested in how it turns out.

76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
78' 400 MC5
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W

Chakka

I used to have a Hercules 7 speed 175 that was equipped with a Lectron. It was a great carb. At the same time I had a Penton 125 with a Bing and a Bultaco Sherpa with an Amal. Both the Bing and the Amal were prone to spilling fuel and once tipped on its side the Bultaco would flood instantly requiring about 1 million kicks to get her running again. The Hercules on the other hand could be layed on its side or upside down and still fire up first kick. No flooding, no leaks, no spilling.. just in my mind a much better design than convensional carbs.

TGTech

Steve,

Over my years in this business, I've learned that nearly all the carburetors out there, will work very well on one condition: you have the necessary parts to make it carburet properly. That may sound like an easy thing, but I'm here to tell you that is not the case.

The Lectron carburetor, of the comparable size of the Bing carburetor, and the proper metering rod, (they don't call them "needles") will make better and more power than the Bing. The trick is, making sure that you have the right metering rod. The reason is that the venturi design of the Lectron is much more efficient, making the airflow better.

The problem with the Bing, is that the parts to make it carburet properly, may not be available either. Yeah, you can get pilot jets, main jets, and needle jets, but can you get slides with different cut out angles and cushion heights? These are the key to efficient operation.

The Bings also have a tendency to "leak" as was mentioned, because they have the "tickler" button, that will allow it. That is something that the Lectrons didn't have. Instead, they have a circuit that is commonly referred to as a "choke". In reality, it is an enrichening circuit rather than a choke.

I think that Thom is probably half right about using the Lectron in  AHRMA races, because until '76, the Lectrons were not used as OEM equipment on anything. I say half right, because that would mean that you can't use them on Vintage machines, but you should be able to use them on Post Vintage classes, especially on the Penton's, because they came as OEM on the '76 machines. HOWEVER, I don't know anything about AHRMA rules, so check the book.

I guess if these Lectrons are becoming valuable, I'm going to have to see how many I can find in my barn.

Dane

Steve Minor

So.....the simple answer to my question is that there is no simple answer...

I posed the question because I felt it might be easier if both of my "riders" had carbs by the same manufacturer. This might not be the right thing to do. If recently acquired 77 125 gs6 came with a Lectron, perhaps I should leave it alone....

As always, I truly appreciate all of the input.
Steve Minor

Dennis Jones

Dane is right, the Lectron is legal on a post vintage Penton. I don't know much else about them. I have a new in the box 38, and a 75 125 laydown shock six days that had  a 32 with it. The origanal owner said the bike would start and run laying on it's side with the Lectron on it. If this bike ever gets to the top of the redo list I plan to try the Lectron.

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

G Ellis

I would run the Lectron carb, very easy to tune. I ran a Lectron on my PV 1977 GS6 175 all year in ARHMA. You can still get parts for them. Thay give you a low end and use less fuel. I also have a Lectron on my 76 MC5 250 you can't get a better throttle response from any other carb. I even ran a Lectron on my modern bike. I have tuning specs for the Lectron if you need some. Gary

Dennis Jones

Gary, Do you think a 38 Lectron would work on my 77 250 GS6?

Dennis Jones
Dennis Jones

G Ellis

Yes that is what I am running on my MC5. Dennis email me your home number [email protected]

sdm

I put a Lectron on a 1980 KTM 250 I had years ago replacing the Bing
and it solved all the tuning problems I had been having at the time.
Made it into a different motor with all kinds of low end power and
definitely more tractible. If it is AHRMA legal (and you are going
to race the bike) I would stay with the Lectron. I guess it depends
also on what your plans are for the bike down the road.
My 2c
Sam