5 speed / 6 speed

Started by t20sl, March 18, 2005, 10:19:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

t20sl

Were there any 5a engines with the big finned cyl and head? When was the change over?

rcrump1

I am pretty sure the engine on my steel tanker is a 5A and it has the big fins. I will double check and post the serial number if you are interested.
Richard

Doug Wilford

Yes the first Alloy cylinder engines were still 5A and stayed 5A even after upgrading to the larger shifting improvement, (MAinshaft, selector rod and key, larger main shaft case bearing, selector arm and shift assy.  The parts book gives the engine numbers, the new improved larger shift modification started at engine #6318/755 for the 125 and engine # 5692 843 for the 100cc
Have fun.

bentrims

Doug,
Friggin amazing - Can you start putting this stuff on CD or DVD in case you are alien abducted or something?
TB

firstturn

Tom,
  We were thinking about moving him to Texas which would be just about the same scenero.[:o)]

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

bentrims

If this storm we are having right now in Minnesota (6-10 inches snow):(hits the Ohio River valley it may be a pretty easy abduction.

peter kane

Tom's right Doug.  I'd be willing to bet my steel tanker that you didn't even have to reference anything except your memory to teach us that golden morsel.

Peter Kane
V3442
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]

t20sl

Were there any 5A engines in the late 71/ early 72 fiberglass models?

Doug Wilford

TOM;    NOOOO!  But maybe a few 5/B  ;)   I will take that back after a little thought, the late 5/A may have trickled into 71 models.   Again, it was an upgrade that happened.   That is why the Steel Tank Questioaire needs filled out and sent in.   The more questionaires that get returned the better our chances of putting a more accurate story on what, when and where for the Steel Tankers.
Thanks to all of you Steel Tank Owners for helping with the book.

firstturn

Doug,
  Tom is just trying to make it possible for you to keep his engines up to peak performance where it is warmer.[:p]  

Ted,
  That is a difficult question since you can change the engine type(by sight) by changing the ignition side cover.  I just don't ever remember working on any 5a's that were in a fiberglass tank bike unless I put them in for a person that had wasted their 5/6B.  I hope this helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

t20sl

Ok Ron, then what was the difference between 5A and 5B

Doug Wilford

One big difference is the 5"B" was never used by Penton as a production engine.   The 5/B was used by Hercules in a Military model.    Penton (Sachs) engines started with the 5/A, then the 6/A then the 6/B  then the 6/D which was a 6/B with the "D" cylinder and head, the"D" cylinder had an intake manifold which used a 30mm Bing and better porting.   There are a few 5/B engines in this country thatI built.    It may be that there are some DKWs in the states with the 5/B.   The major change from the 6/A to the 6/B is the cases were recast to accomodate the smaller wider crankshaft.   When they did the B cases they also cast in larger transfer ports and these protrude over the crank slabs on each side.

Paul Danik

Ron,
  According to Ted Penton's article in the August, 1972 Keep'em Winning, which was a newsletter to Penton dealers only, starting with the "B" engines the front motor mount bolt was increased to 10mm from 8 mm. We have yet to find any engines yet that didn't follow that rule, so no matter what the side cover says, a glance at the front motor mount bolt should tell you if you have an "A" engine 8mm, or "B" and later models 10mm. Of course in the 30 some years since the change occured, someone, somewhere, has probably drilled out the front mounting hole on a set of "A" cases.:D
Paul

t20sl

Were there any 5A engines in the late 71/ early 72 fiberglass models?

Doug Wilford

TOM;    NOOOO!  But maybe a few 5/B  ;)   I will take that back after a little thought, the late 5/A may have trickled into 71 models.   Again, it was an upgrade that happened.   That is why the Steel Tank Questioaire needs filled out and sent in.   The more questionaires that get returned the better our chances of putting a more accurate story on what, when and where for the Steel Tankers.
Thanks to all of you Steel Tank Owners for helping with the book.