Home Page Photo Quiz - April 2005

Started by Admin, April 03, 2005, 08:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

wildman

Early type rear sprocket, looks like alloy ridged rims? Landing on front wheel, looks like old style linesmans boot off the peg a little. Two guys standing in the background.Happy April, Wildman

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

jackpinejim

O. Sheriff, would the guy at the extreme left of the photo be making a personal pit stop? Another great shot of a Penton in action!

Jim  PS after breaking this seasons snowfall record yesterday (sat) beautyful sunshine and low 50's today and rest of the week, finally some enjoyable riding back and forth to work!

OUCWBOY

1968 Penton, modified exhaust that looks like the old VW exhaust tip. Looks like the screw on fuel cap too.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

peter kane

Four bolt rear sprocket, short seat, shouldered alloy rims, lack of sunburst head, fork boots, tank lettering.  In my novice opinion I'd say the bike is a 68. And from the looks of it, it does look like the guy on the left is making a personal pit stop and it looks like the three people watching him were more interested in what he was doing than watching the bike go wizzing by. (no pun intended)

Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]
Peter Kane
1970 Six Day
Plainville, Massachusetts
[email protected]

firstturn

These are all great answers, but there are still more tell tell things in the picture.[8D]  

PS: JackpineJim, could it be that you noticed this guy taking care of business because you were at this race???[:0]

On the serious note there are still other signs on this bike.  I would say that the ones that were pointed out were done through either having been there during this era or you have learned it through the POG.  That is why we need to PLEASE GET THE SURVEYS INTO THE POG ON ANY STEEL TANKS YOU OWN OR THAT YOU KNOW THAT EXISITS.  PLEASE DON'T BE THE REASON THAT WE MISS ANY UPDATE OR CHANGE WHEN WE DO THE BOOK.  Thanks and keep the great input coming.

O. Sherriff

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

slvrbrdfxr

Hi all,
Looks like some sort of pole in the foreground just behind the rider. Could this be a Limbo Contest win on a Penton ??? :D
Dave McCullough

OUCWBOY

Has the long chain guard, stock 68 rear shocks that are covered. Enduro kit removed because I can see the main shaft driven speed cable attached to the bike, but flapping in front of the number plate. Maybe has the fork damping device installed as well, but for sure has the frame mounted fork stops. Long air box, and a letter I can't quite makeout in front of the Penton decal on the tank!?!?!?! Center stand is still attached to bike. There are 5 people total in the photo, the un-named rider, two adults and a child that look like they are watching a 2nd child doing a nature break. After market (home made) bracket for the exhaust stinger mounted to a number plate bracket. Mud flap attached to the front of the front fender as well.

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

And it's dusty and the rider is wearing a enduro jacket,a bandana for the dust.The guy taking the "nature break" is wearing what looks like a short sleeve t-shirt,which means the rider is burning up!Not on a motorcyle track but also not a enduro because of no lights,must be a hare scramble.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

OUCWBOY

Or Thomas, it could be the Old style MX Track. Just stake off a section and go race. Those were the best tracks ever!!!!!!

Donny Smith
Donny Smith
Paragould, AR

tmc3c

I thought that too,but it looks single track.and why would you wear all of them clothes for a track? The jacket has to be hot.

Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler
Thomas Carmichael

1970 125 Six Day
1976 250 Hare Scrambler

TGTech

Hey Sheriff:

Would this rider be part of a father/son team or are his initials CC?

Dane

firstturn

Donny,
  Great observation on the speedo cable and the othe rdefining features of a '68.  Let's see if anyone else can shed a light on the rider and event.

O.Sherriff

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

jackpinejim

O. Sheriff, no I wasn't there whereever "there" is. Also mudflap on top of front fender. Don't forget POG meeting tomorrow evening at KTM Amherst Oh.

Jim

Paul Danik

jackpinejim,

Either you are off a day or I am:D The meeting is Thursday evening at 7pm at the KTM building.  
Hope to see you there.
Paul