81 MC 250

Started by Sloan, January 30, 2006, 09:41:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sloan

I'm looking at an 81 MC250, and wondering how the parts availability is for them?  
I can get it for a really good price, but due to the distance away, I won't truely know what shape it's in until it's too late.
I have seen pics, and it looks like it is going to need some work, and would make a good project.

Thanks for your opinions,
Sloan

pketchum

Sloan,

It's not as bad as one might believe.  New plastic is being reproduced for many of the later model KTM's by http://www.dcplasticsusa.com thanks to several POG members.  Many of the later Penton's share a lot of the same parts as the early KTM's and these are available from Al Buehener at http://www.pentonpartsusa.org  I feel that the cosmetic pieces are the most difficult to obtain but one obstacle is being surmounted as I type.  

Good luck,

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

Dr.2Stroke

Thats a real beast. i have never had any 250 aircooled with that kind of "bite". turns very high, and that engine in a newer chassis, you would blow all the 450 4 strokes....
if there arent parts available in the states, im sure having them. take a look to my website://www.sdi-ktm.ch
regards Reinhard

pketchum

$845.00 US for a set of NOS 175 GS Jackpiner cases
$ 99.00 US for a NOS KTM shift lever
$289.00 US for a NOS STD bore 250 piston
$423.00 US for a crank bearing removal tool
$250.00 US for a NOS 250 clutch side case
$800.00 US for a NOS KTM 250 MC exhaust pipe

These are a bit out of my price range, Herr Doctor. Do you have anything that's within the budget of a vintage enthusiast?

Phil
Phast Phil

sachsmx

Please, lets not start another war with suppliers. I have purchased parts from Dr 2-stroke and got great service on some next to impossible parts to find. Granted, some of his prices are expensive, but some are also not available elsewhere. Also, have you priced new, easily available KTM parts lately, not cheap! I have done business with a certain Hercules parts source (who is also in the Penton suppliers here) and have paid a kings ransom for soem hard to find parts, but at other times made great deals with the guy when making a big purchase.
The way I deal with parts sources is to take my business elsewhere if I don't want to pay the price. I never burn any bridges because you never know when you might need that $800 NOS pipe :D

Dr.2Stroke

Thanks Bengt for contribution. i know i have high prices for my parts. But who does pay my horrible rent of over 2000$ every month? how should i pay it if not with high spare part prices? every one which has a idea of economy will understand, that my stock must be amortized, and i have reinvested over 25o`000Dollars in my stock and my bikes, and the new parts which i have listed on my website do exist only one or maximally two times.and please check the prices that some collectors do pay for parts on ebay? what about that? my prices will be always to high for some people, but for same parts people cant bid enough on ebay.its alywas the question to keep parts on stock and pay high rents for them of 2000$ every month, or put the hole stuff to the vintage iron.and i have lots of parts which are really very very hard to find in the world.i just have to note: These bikes are all oldtimers, if anyone wants to ride such a bike, he has to invest some money to keep the bike alive.you should see how much money is pumped into other brands here in the oldtimer Motocross scene in switzerland.20`000 dollars into a CCM 4 stroke from 75? no problem.and these guys were extremly happy if there was someone like me which had so much stuff  for their bikes.and i do also have tons of used parts which also have their prices but not the price of new parts. everyone is free to order parts from me, but there are lot of people missunderstanding the passion of riding such an old dirt bike.
Regards Dr.2Stroke

Dr.2Stroke

just another note: Take a look to the price lists from KTM Austria, they afford over 260 Euro( which is about 300Dollar) for 250 ccm pistons, so im definitely not the most expensive.....

firstturn

To:  Dr.2Stroke and Everyone,
  I am personally happy that Dr.2Stroke has saved and stocks these old parts.  Sometimes the parts may seem high, but I will tell you that at the cost of gas and motel rooms I pay to go pick up parts and old incomplete bikes is HIGH.  I can say that his NOS parts are not for everyone, but ask him for used parts.  I agree that parts are high, but I rarely see them going down in price.  I have paid outrages price for parts on ebay and other sources just to get a part to finish a bike or help a Friend complete a bike.  It is the buyers choice.

On the other hand I have given and received parts for no charge from POG members for which I am thankful and always try to return the favor, but some parts are just plain rare and expensive.  I hope that everyone is able to find parts they need at a price they can afford, but one thing I have found in building cars, outboard racing engines and Pentons, just be patient and parts will surface.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tonny

Don´t want to start a war, but what´s about a discussion? Fact is that parts for KTM´s aren´t as rare like parts for other bikes like CCM. If the availability of parts tor a CCM would be as good as for KTM´s then they would not be as expensive as they are to day. It´s an open secret, that there are enough KTM parts around, it´s only a question of time till you find them and therefor the price is lower... The proplem is, that certain fellows belive that they are the only source of parts, and can not handle the pressure of the free market ie. e-bay, after market parts, enthusiasts, old dealers...
They always have to explain why they are so important, expensive and that they will throw on day the whole stuff in the garbage. Who cares, the world will still going round ( and as well all the crank shafts of the penton´s), even without such people.
However, is´s my own decision whether I deal with such people or not, but it´s always a pain to read all these excuses why their parts are soooooooooooooo expensive. The market is making the price, not an individual, that´s the way how it works.
BTW: the price for a std bore 250 piston is high; you should know the price for the 2nd over, I´ve got a quote for that from the Docter... HUUUUUUUUUUUU

Dr.2Stroke

Hey Tonny, do you pay my rent? would you do it for me? i will set down my prices for used and new parts 50 percent, if someone would pay my rent,which is over 2000$ every month! it seems you dont have an idea from economy.its not my problem, if you dont have the money to pay a piston from my.the only thing i know is: there arent so much parts laying around, if they would, why do i get over 10 inqiries from all over the world? do you know how much of my own money is put in my parts stock? i could buy a real nice home with that money! no one is commited to buy parts from me, but i am also not committed to sell my parts cheap! as you said, the world still turns over without me or any other supplier, but im glad that there are some people like Ron Carbough which apreciates my service.to be honest, its not the big business to sell these old parts, its just like a hobby. and you get to know really nice people all over the world, which appreciates my service and don not always complain about prices.if i had CCM parts, i would be already a billionaire,which im not. The money is all invested in the parts stock.i have a "common" Motorcycle business, and the most rentable section is repairing bikes or engines.here in switzerland a working hour brings 80$, and i do just keep my parts because of a big passion for these old KTMs.i do not have a problem to scrap the old parts, but i will list the names of the people which brought me to this step on my website then.and you Tonny will be one of them..........

pketchum

I heard a good analogy the other day which seems to apply here, it's called "The Theory of the Bigger Fool."

If reasonably priced parts weren't available for our beloved motorcycles I wouldn't own any.  There comes a point where the pain/$$$ doesn't justify the cost in my opinion.  Finally, I feel that there are some who appear to be "ambulance chasers" when it comes to new people entering the vintage scene.  I for one don't appreciate someone taking advantage of neophytes in our sport.  For those who have bank accounts far larger than mine I say have at it.  

I have the utmost amount of respect for Ron Carbaugh but feel I should speak out.  Ron, please forgive my uncharacteristic actions.

Phil
Phast Phil

firstturn

Phil,
  I am glad you spoke out.  My response was not at you by any means.  It was just at the nature of the animal and the idea that prices are going to rise by simple supply and demand.  I wish we lived in a perfect world where we could all afford the items for Pentons and other hobbies, but it isn't going to happen.

I feel that the parts we try and reproduce for POG members and other Penton people are making it possible to finish that special Bike, but every week or two I get a demand for a original part and the person is willing  to pay big bucks for the part.  I don't  want to have a collection of bikes setting around missing key parts because someone offered me so much for say a pipe I couldn't refuse.

With that said I hope I cleared up my earlier post.  Phil you are my Friend and my post was not directed at you.  Actually I think you did a service to the site because now people can decide if they want to spend the money for that special part or go with a reproducted part.  I just looked at a  bike (picture) that was rough but it looked like it had a perfect pipe (1975-250 Penton) that the person was asking $2000.00.  I really was only interested in the pipe, but in asking what the lowest price he would take, no offer was made, I obviously offended the person.  So in this case if I want a perfect pipe I guess it is $2000 or $800.  I will do neither since I am going to ride the bike.

Phil keep the good posts coming..............[:p].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

454MRW

I am a pay check to pay check kind of guy at least at this point in time, but I realize that some of the hardest to find CORRECT original, (not superceded), or revised parts usually demand unusally high prices and in some extreme cases get quite ridiculous. I have a background in 1963-72 Corvette restoration, thus my shipping address goes by the hobby name of Winter Performance Restoration and I tend to be pretty picky of the parts and extent of originality I aim for in most of my endeavors. That said, I also find that the easily available new and used parts should be purchased from supppliers that provide good quick service and are knowledgeable like Al, Donny, Tom, Skip, Terry, Don, Ted, Daryl, just to name a few, (sorry if I don't want to take up a page and a half with all of you great knowledgeable guys out there), and many others in and out of the U.S. and I will continue to get those rare original unaltered or revised items from Reinhard, even if I have to pay a portion of his rent, (a small portion, I hope). I only wish his request-to-quote-to ship time was more like that of our well known good friends. I order what I can afford when I can afford it and often some other more needed items become available in the meantime which delays things even more. Thanks for your time, Mike... Winter Performance Restoration.

Michael R. Winter
1974 250 Harescrambler
1975 250 HS Project
1977 250 MC5 Project
1978 250 MX6  
1979 250 KTM Project
1980 250 MX KTM
Michael R. Winter
I enjoy rebuilding and appreciating Pentons!
1976 Penton MC5 400
1977 KTM MC5 125
1978 KTM 78 GS6 250
L78-79 MX6 175-250 KTM\\\'s
1976-78 125-400 RM\\\'s
2007 CR125R Honda
1977 MC250 Maico
2017 KTM Freeride 250R

firstturn

Mike,
  It is good to know another Vette type person. I know what good complete Corvette Fuel injection systems cost so some of the prices here are actually a lot more affordable that the mid to 70's Vette parts.  Thanks for telling us more about you, hence 454[:p].

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

DKWRACER

Equal to the the "task", there is a "sum" of efforts, that is be-holding of a place in your life. Yes it's called "your garage"......... much like "super hunky", with a history. Our's has a patina about it........."There's a place, I can get to , where, I am safe, from the city blues, and there's peace, and it's quiet"........
And I'd do anything, I got to do, cut m hair, n shine m shoes, if I could stay here...in johnnies garden...
Remember, that we are so lucky to have what we have [^]
Thanks!!! Tom Brosius
Thomas Brosius