Bing puzzle

Started by OhioTed, February 15, 2006, 08:54:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OhioTed

Attempted to fire up a '75 Mint 400 for the first time tonight since reassembly, but it's Bing carb is leaking out the overflow, despite assurance the floats float, are adjusted per spec, and needle & seat seal up nice and tight. Everything tests out fine on the bench, but not when fuel is put through it.  Seems odd to have to replace the floats??? Any suggestions?  Also, suggestions on a supplier for Bing parts?

PS:  Lordy is the Mint hard to kick over!  I know it's been 30 years since my last Penton - a Hare Scrambler, and my kickin' leg aint what it used to be, but the Mint is the toughest bike to kick through I've ever experienced.  In fact, she won't even budge without being CR'd up to TDC first.  Typical?  Everything's nice & fresh.

firstturn

Ted,
  Just a thought without being there to get in with the fun...are the floats OK.  I mean they are not bad to where they sink?  Easy check, but I have had this happen.  Also did you do a seal check with the bowl off the carb and the gas turned on?  I know you have probably thought about this, but I thought I would just see if I could help.  If I think of anything else I will call you.  By the way get you a box to stand on when kicking this baby....it helps.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

OhioTed

Thanks for the bowl-off tip, Ron.  I'll try it, but not sure what that'll tell me other than that fuel is getting into the bowl - it is.  I'm already standing on a bike stand, but too many hyper-extension of the knee experiences keep me from putting my fat-arse weight behind the kicker, so I'm relying entirely on just my leg muscles - which apparently just aint makin' it.  The mint did fire once so far - on starting fluid - so I know she's a runner.

OhioTed

Ron, I thought some more about your bowl-off suggestion, and realized you are describing a way to confirm that the needle and seat are definitely sealing.  The possiblity of a worn needle/seat makes more sense than floats causing the problem.  Took me a while . . .

firstturn

Ted,
  I really didn't explain myself very well.  It is late and I have been looking at too many numbers today.  Also please email me with your phone number I have another secret mission for you [:p] that might work in Still Keeping Track.  Thanks for all you and your wife do for The Penton Owners Group.  Also when I call you tell me which carb you  have.  Later my Friend.

Ron Carbaugh
Ron Carbaugh

tofriedel

Ted,

I cannot offer any better solutions than what Ron has posted.

As for the kicking a 400, add a compression release.  Real easy to start, dosen't hurt you and nobody knows has caught up with you.  Some of the MC's came with a compression release

It worked wonders for me on my KTM 495.

Tony
Tony

tofriedel

Sorry,

I meant to say, "and nobody knows old age has caught up to you"

Tony
Tony

wildman

Check for the little spring do-hickey that connects the float needle and the float. Sometimes the f. needle will hang up at the down position. Also check the float arm where the needle hits for a divot worn into the brass. It will make the end of the float needle jam slightly. A little creative fileing might help. Wildman
PS I think a compression release would be a VERY good idea, save a lot of strain on the kicker and kickee!

1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125
1975 250 Cross Country, 1974 175 Jackpiner, 1975 125

OhioTed

Thanks very much for the info, fellows.  The Mint does have a properly functioning compression release, but other than using it to bring her up to TDC, I don't know how else to use it to help me fire the bike.  Is there something else, which I'm unaware of?

Speedy

Quotequote:Originally posted by OhioTed

Thanks very much for the info, fellows.  The Mint does have a properly functioning compression release, but other than using it to bring her up to TDC, I don't know how else to use it to help me fire the bike.  Is there something else, which I'm unaware of?

I stock some BING parts like NEW floats if you need them.
Speedy-->>>>>>>>
[email protected]

Helmut Clasen KTM
162 Hillcrest Ave
L9H 4Y3
Dundas Ontario Canada
Ph.905-627-5349
[email protected]
http://speedy_c.tripod.com
Sachs MC-GS 250-7A reeds
Hercules 350-7A
Hercules 250-7A
Zuendapp 125 GS
KTM 200 EXC 2003
KTM DUKE 96 Spec.

sixdazed

Ted,after you fix the carb problem you may want to check the timing to make sure its not advanced.that could make it tough to kick over and possibly cause you to make a trip to the doc's!Big bore 2 strokes HURT things (legs,ankles)when not timed right.also i never kick one over anymore without a boot on-been bitten too many times!Take Care, Ric

ric emmal
Ric Emmal
Pentons Rule!
5 125 steel tankers
10 cmf 100/125
2 Mettco 125
1 Penda
2 jackpiners
2 harescramblers
5 Herc 7 speeds
1 Tyran 125
1 Ktm150xc
1 Honda crf450x
1 Honda sl70
1 Hon cr125 77
1 Yam pw80
2 Yam yz125d
1 Suz pe 175
1 Suz rm85
1 Mz250
3 Sachs/dkw 125
1 Hon cb700sc
1 Aprillia RC50
Most in progress..                      so many projects-so little time...

behindbars

Hi Ted. I had the same problem with my 74 250 Scramber. I replaced the needle and float, but it still had a constant drool. I had the float height set but it still dripped non-stop. If I held the carb in a level position it would not leak, but as soon as I tipped it into the foward leaning position like it sits on the bike when it's mounted it would drool at will. I ended up bending the float tab just far enough that the "drooler lever" would have just enough clearance to still push the float down when you push it and it completely solved the problem. Bike ran crisp after that and would start cold in one or two kicks....with no more spooge! I think what happens is the seat for the needle gets worn and allows the needle to travel deeper into the seat? You would think that setting the float height correctly would take care of the wear issue, but it sure didn't for my bike. P.S. I sure can relate to the sore foot after kicking a Mint. First time I tried to start one I was wearing tennis shoes. What a fool I was. My foot was really sore the next day. I had 3 friends helping taking turns kicking....all with tennis shoes on and we all limped for the next day or two...[B)]
James Jorgensen
Red Bud, Michigan
74 1/2 Mint Enduro
74 1/2 Mint MX
74 Scrambler 250

OhioTed

Thank you all so much for the input.  Wildman, your suggestion in particular about a divot on the float tab was correct.  I never would have thought!  Actually, the first thing I did was to follow Ron's advice and tested the needle and seat with the bowl off.  This told me that they are capable of sealing, but the divot was causing the float to hang up.  Once I filed away the divot, there is no more dribbeling, but no fuel flows out the overflow when I push the tickler button, nor will the bike fire.  I must have adjusted the float tab a bit too far - although it is very close to specs - touching the needle when horizontal.  I'll have to take the carb off again, and readjust that float tab so the Mint will "tickle".  Experience has told me that a non-choke equipped Penton will not fire unless you follow this procedure.  Also, I tried putting a bit more weight behind the kicker, and as a result it is spinning over a bit better.  I'm still gun shy about hyper-extension of the knee, though.  If you've ever lived through such an experience, you know what I'm talking about.  Thanks Speedy, for the info on Bing parts.  I may still need to call you - the bike isn't running yet!

Paul Danik

Ted,

The final bit of advice might be to move near me and share the big hill that extends down through my back yard.  The bonus of this plan is that a country road runs below the hill and I can bring the pickup around and haul you back up if it doesn't fire, it was mostly my BSA's that needed that ride back up, and most of them now live elsewhere.

Paul

tomale

Tony is right about the compression release.. not one in the head but in the cylinder. you will notice that there is a casting hole in the side of the cylinder just for that, I am sure that you can find some locally that can help you with that.  I have a Maico 400 that starts so much easier because of it. I can start it with out it but it takes several healthy boots to get it done... I tend to think of myself as a tough guy and think it is wimpy to have such a device but the reality is that by using one you are actually saving the bike.... not to mention your knees. That kickstarter takes alot of abuse and using a compression release drastically reduces the wear and tear.... I broke one on the 250 and getting another at the time proved to be expensive.... Save your bike and your knees... get a compression release.

Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
76' 250 MC5 (orginal owner)
75' GS400 (project bike)
72'sixday (project bike)
Thom Green,Still crazy after all these years!
74\\\' 1/2 440 maico
70\\\' 400 maico (project)
93\\\' RMx 250 suzuki
2004 Suzuki DL1000
1988 Honda Gl 1500
2009 KTM 400 XC-W