Phast Phil's vintage KTM

Started by pketchum, May 24, 2007, 12:35:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pketchum

http://home.comcast.net/~nstringer100/wsb/html/view.cgi-home.html-.html

Submitted for your viewing pleasure is my 1980 KTM 250 GS.  Parts accumulated from France, Australia, and of course the U.S.A.  Thanks go to many, many people.  Many of which are POG'ers, Al Buehener, Teddy "Lightning" Landers, Andy "Lapper" Lippert, and many, many others who belittled, cajoled, and coerced me into getting this one done.

Let me know what you think of the temporary yellow graphics I've installed on the left side of the gas tank.  I figured I should keep the yellow "theme" going on the gas tank.  I haven't touched the left side simply because I ran out of yellow graphics but had only enough to BARELY do the left side.  Besides, it wasn't enough to do a number plate so it was just sitting around.

Anyone know how to get hold of Larry Shope near Tulsa?  I know he would like to see a pic. of it.

Phil
Phast Phil
Moderator, Hodaka Owners Group
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Hodaka

pakala

Phast Phil,
 Very nice, will you be riding it at the ISDT reunion. I think it could win "COOL BIKE" award!!
          Pablo(socal)

Gary Roach

Phil,

Nice bike.

Where did you locate the headlight shell? I'm looking for one that's very similiar to the one you have.

What model number Renthal bars did you use?

Thanks,
Gary

pketchum

Pablo,
I was hoping to win the "Kool Bike" award at Teddy's ISDT Vintage Qualifier in mid-April but the Ohlin's didn't arrive with enough time to mount them, and finish aligning the rear fender.  This is why Teddy asked Pete Petrick to perform the AHRMA Tech Insp. duties.  Besides, there were some other really trick looking bikes that I think would have trumped mine - but thanks for the compliments!  I love it when others post pictures/links of their current projects so I thought I'd share with my friends with similar afflictions for vintage enduro's.  I am proud of how well it turned out and can't wait to test out a bike with Ohlin's suspension in back.

Gary,

Those are Renthal "Mini-High" model # 757-02 (remember just like the 757 jet).

I've used them successfully on my other '79 KTM and they were recommended by Teddy Landers.  He had heard it from the POG group as being the vintage bar to emulate.  The ergonomics while standing on the pegs are better on my Herc 175GS/7A as compared to my KTM's (I think the bars are a bit higher) but I have to give credit to the strength of these Renthal bars.  If a guy who's nickname is "Phast Phil", "Phace Plant" or "Phace Phirst" Phil can't bend 'em - they must be super strong!  So I figured why mess with what's been working.....?

The headlight shell was bought on eBay and was a spare that Larry Perkins had lying around.  I bought it right after the ISDTRR at Zink Ranch from him.  It's actually a Hercules GS reproduction made by a friend of Helmut "Speedy" Clasen of Canada.  Speedy tells me his friend no longer makes them anymore since he retired.  They're trick and practically bulletproof, well, 1" sapling-proof at a high rate of speed.  I tested this at the ISDTRR 2006 at Park Hills, MO.  It is made of fiberglass impregnated Kevlar and is very resistant to impacts and it appears to be a gel-coat like on my Rickman.

Phil
Phast Phil

Gary Roach

Phil,

Thanks for the info on the bars and headlight.

Gary

Gary Roach

Phil,

One last question. Are the side panels and rear fender NOS KTM parts, or are they reproduction items from DC Plastic?

Gary

slvrbrdfxr

Phil,
Your bike looks great !! Shoot me an email and I'll send you the info for Larry Shope.
Dave McCullough

pketchum

These are the reproductions from DC Plastics.  While the finish isn't exactly like OEM it is eminently suitable for a racer.  I do own a OEM set of sidepanels and a real good used rear fender.  These were sent to DC Plastics for them to make copies of.  Their plastic reproduction process tries to anticipate for shrinkage by making the molds larger than OEM products (because they know it will shrink).  The only gotcha on these reproductions is the OEM tail light doesn't quite fit flush like it should (but it's close).  Unless I mentioned it I don't think anyone would spot it at all.  

The front fender is an OEM Falk - courtesy of Larry Shope on eBay!  Thank you for sharing Larry!

Phil

Quotequote:Originally posted by Gary Roach

Phil,

One last question. Are the side panels and rear fender NOS KTM parts, or are they reproduction items from DC Plastic?

Gary
Phast Phil

jon

Phil-what method did you use to clean and paint your motor.Also what color frame paint.Thanks Jon

tofriedel

Phil,

Beautiful bike and a great job in resoration.  One question, it appears that the swing arm is from a 1980 or more probably a 1981 since it has the side stand mounting holes in the swing arm, which is it?

Tony
Tony

pketchum

Plain old-fashioned elbow grease, small screwdrivers, cheap nylon brushes, aluminum bottle brushes to clean between the fins, Q-Tips, and lots, and lots of Castrol Super Clean at full strength.

Rattle-can paint was used.  I figured why not since my last KTM's paint job is holding up very, very nicely after rebuilding it in 2004.  Three years later it still looks great except for the rub spots along the frame where my boots touch.  In another 2-3 years it will be time for a repaint.

Paint used:
Duplicolor Chevrolet Orange-Red Part no.  DE1607
Duplicolor Cast Coat Aluminum   Part no.  DE1650

Did you all notice all my parts which I had nickle plated???  These include the swingarm shaft, and swingarm nut, the rear brake hub arm, the front brake arm, both rear chain adjusters, footpeg springs, both footpegs (original stainless steel from Al Buehener), clutch arm cable thingie that holds the end of the cable, the rear brake peddle tip....all these were bright nickle plated.  Other items which were nickle plated were the shift lever and kickstart lever.  These were done by a local plater who only does industrial nickle plating not the bright plating.  That was fine with me because his turnaround time is 2 days and the price was very reasonable in my opinion ($5.00 each item).  I'm simply tired of rust appearing on my bikes after washing them or them being ridden and driving home in the rain.

I'm unsure of whether the swingarm is stock or not.  I know my 1979 doesn't have the kickstand holes in the swingarm, but the 1980 frame does.  Whether it has been changed or not I can't say for certain.  Maybe someone else can offer their informed opinion.  Does anyone have a kickstand made for this model that I could buy?  Otherwise, I'm thinking of making a bracket for the existing holes and fashioning a triangle stand that would hook to the bracket.

Phil
Phast Phil

pketchum

Mike Winter informs me the swingarm with the two mounting holes is truly a 1980 model swingarm.

Being the gracious friend he's also sending me a 1980 kickstand so I can properly present my bike at the next vintage event.  Thanks Mike!

I tell 'ya this POG forum is frequented by the nicest people you would care to meet and is such a wonderful place to visit and learn.

Phil
Phast Phil

Gary Roach

Phil,

I didn't think that the bracket on the frame looked factory. Mike is a good guy, and I'm sure he'll fix you up.

Gary

//http://web.tiscali.it/ktm70/Ktm%20250%201980%20Flavio.jpg //

pketchum

Yep, the frame bracket was installed by the guy I bought it from who only had it for a month or so.  He said he put it on there simply because he didn't like bikes without a kickstand.  The one he had installed was simply a temporary measure.  I decided to leave it on until I found a suitable replacement (and I have).  It won't take too much trouble to grind this one off and repaint that area I wouldn't think.

Yes, Mike Winter is one of the good guys.  He has a passion for these Penton's/KTM's that cannot be quenched.  For someone relatively new to his marque he has somehow managed to soak up a ton of valuable information regarding the differences between different models, much like Ron Carbaugh can.  Only Mike's been at this for a much shorter period of time.  I think he could solve world hunger should he ever decide to set his mind to it.

Phil
Phast Phil

pketchum

Oh yes, I even had the rear sprocket carrier bolts/nuts bright nickle plated.  You know the ones....the odd ones....the ones with 7mm shafts and 11mm nuts.

I'd be riding it this weekend except my stepson Derek is flying in from New York and the whole family is coming to our house.

Phil
Phast Phil