The "Picture Man" Photo Collection

Started by Admin, January 27, 2008, 11:49:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admin

Be sure to check out the Richard "Picture Man" Christensen Photo Collection now posted on the website.

The collection contains Part I (428 Penton photos) and Part II (28 non-Penton photos).  You might want to use the slideshow option of the photo gallery which will be explained to you when you click on the follwoing link:

http://gallery.pentonusa.org/gallery/albums.php

Bill & Karen

Mick Milakovic

Hi All,
I think I know where that picture was taken, so if someone agrees with me feel free to comment.  The Burr Oak Enduro used to start at the Izaak Walton clubgrounds in Shelby, Indiana.  The start ran down a ditch bank along the Kankakee river, then ducked under a railroad trestle by a feeder creek.  This sure looks like one of those "really wet" years!  I was too young at the time, maybe 14, to have a driver's license and be able to compete, so maybe one of you guys might remember? :D

Mick

imported_n/a

Thanks for posting the pictures for all to see. I feel muddy just looking at some of 'em! Great seeing all the Pentons at their best. How 'bout all those zoot soup cans and things guarding the time pieces! Good stuff!

crheeterman

chicagojerry

hey mick, i used to ride the old burr oak. i knew wendel and a couple of the other guys from mnera that put it on.  then i got into the demotte trail riders before getting really entrenched with the hill and gulley riders. all three clubs used some of the same properties. i'll have to look through some of those old pictures a little closer. my second oldest son was born on the sunday of the race in 79. i was supposed to ride that day but my wife (now my ex) went into labor. i went out to the gas stop after the delivery and passed out cigars. thanks to all involved for the pictures!
chi jer

Gary Roach

Richard "Picture Man" Christensen photographed Enduro, Hare Scamble and MX events held here in southeastern Ohio from 1973 to 1980. He would find the worst obstacles on the course to take his photographs, so that's why so many of the photos are of mudholes or hills. His photos were available for purchase at the events. He would develop a few good photos, but most of the photos were on proof sheets. A proof sheet is a 11x8½ sheet that had 12 black and white photos on it. The photos were so small that most of the time you had to use a magnifying glass. If you saw a picture that you wanted, he would develop the photo from the negative and have it for you at the next race.

He passed away a few years ago, and a local enduro rider named Art Pickelheimer contacted his widow about whatever happened to all of his photos, She still had them, and Art was able to purchase all of the remaining photos. There were 6 big boxes, and we estimated that there were over 5,000 photos. Kent Knudson and I purchased most of the already developed Penton photos which we computer scanned. But there were a lot of Penton photos that were never developed, but were still on proof sheets. Since there were not any negatives in any of the boxes, Art allowed us to scan the proof sheets into our computer, and then we were able to resize the proofs into a full size photos.

My sister helped me with the scanning of photos and proof sheets. Once we got the proof sheets scanned, you could easily zoom in on the photos. This brought on a quite a few surprises! I found a few photos of Kevin Brown's father, and Adam Giddings' grandfather. Heck, I even found a few of myself. But the best surprise of all was when I found one of my dad on his Steel Tanker. That was the only bike that he owned that we didn't have a photo of him on.

Gary

My Dad:

Jeff D

What a great bunch of photos!  That's REAL enduro riding.  There's enough shots there for at least a decade of POG calendars.

Jeff DeBell
Jeff DeBell

OhioTed

Gary, That picture of your dad is great, and it perfectly exemplifies off-road competition conditions in this part of the country.  What an awsome addition to the Penton archives this collection of pictures are.  Thanks greatly to those who brought them to us.

hankthecrank

Hello All.  Thanks Gary for sharing all those pictures. I was tickled to see the pictures of John, Jack, Doug, Rod, Harold and even you. I didn't recognize your dad but I sure remember those days. These events were something to see!

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Paul Danik

Awesome pictures, thanks Gary, Kent and all.  

Gary, neat shot of your Dad.

Picture 135 has quite a famous checker in it.  I am not sure but that is probably his better half in the chair.

Any guesses....

Paul

polecathill

Thanks for posting these pictures.Great stuff! I remember seeing some of them in Dirt Bike Magazine's Crash and Burn Specials.In picture 135 the checker is Mr. Al Eames.How about Larry Maiers at the check with Jack Penton?The bike Rod Bush is riding is the same one he rode in the 1975 ISDT.

t20sl

Great photos.  In picture #25 in the non-Penton album the guy driving the sidehack is the 1961 Jack Pine winner, Lew Atkinson, my dad.  The monkey is Lincoln Baird, my father in law.  Dad was about 60 when that photo was taken near Laurelville, OH.  The first photo of the guys under a bridge is I believe at Greenville, OH Peace Pipe Enduro just north east of club grounds. Ted

rob w

Gary, Kent, Bill & Karen,

Those are absolutely a treasure.

Thank you all so much !

Bob

hankthecrank

Hello All.  Thanks Gary for sharing all those pictures. I was tickled to see the pictures of John, Jack, Doug, Rod, Harold and even you. I didn't recognize your dad but I sure remember those days. These events were something to see!

Hank Rinehart
Hank Rinehart

Paul Danik

Awesome pictures, thanks Gary, Kent and all.  

Gary, neat shot of your Dad.

Picture 135 has quite a famous checker in it.  I am not sure but that is probably his better half in the chair.

Any guesses....

Paul