'76 175

Started by Matt Browne, September 30, 2008, 07:11:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Matt Browne

Hey y'all.New to the group. Just picked up the '76 175 that was on e-bay in NH. Not entirely foriegn to bikes but (been riding for 35 + yrs) but the last time I had a Penton was in the late '70's. Seems like this is the place to find out all about it and after lurking for years I look forward to being a part of it all.

oil soaked filter
Matt Browne
oil soaked filter

Steve Minor

Welcome to Pentonia....You find the best guys (and Gals) here. Don't hesitate to ask questions. Someone here will have an answer.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Mick Milakovic

Hey Matt, MC5 or GS6?  I'm starting an MC5 project this fall.  Good luck!

Mick

Knute

Welcome home Matt.  If it's Penton related you'll find it here.  Like Steve said,  when you've got questions don't hesitate to ask.

Kent
TEAM PENTOVARNA
Kent Knudson
Kevin Brown
Gary & Toni Roach
James & Adam Giddings

thrownchain

Yep, you've managed to find the proverbial well of Penton info. And don't think your question is too dumb to ask, there might be someone else who needs the same answer.  
What part of the country are you in?? And are you going to ride or compete??

paul

Hey Matt, Welcome, I'm betting South East? I am in NC. Whats the 175 look/run like? Any history on the bike? I have not been watching the auctions lately but saw a decent 400 awhile ago.Hope to ride with ya someday Matt. Bring that thing over and ride the Smokies. Some of the most scenic rides I've been on and its prime riding soon. Easy,TTPaul

Matt Browne

There is much I don't know about this bike. No history. Been used pretty hard with some damage to the bottom frame rails. The pipe is junk. Hasn't been run in 30 yrs. I'm sure it can be bought back, but will take a bit. Looking forward too it though.

GS6 is the enduro version right?...or do the MC5's have lights too (I was assuming the MC meant motocross)? other than that I don't know how to tell the difference

oil soaked filter
Matt Browne
oil soaked filter

Matt Browne

Forgot to add that I am in the NE (Portsmouth NH) and intend to ride this and hopefully compete in vintage enduro's if I can find any to ride in........if I build it they will come right?

oil soaked filter
Matt Browne
oil soaked filter

Steve Minor

Matt....go to the Production Years section found on the Home Page. It will show the differences in years and models.

Steve Minor
Wilmington, NC
Steve Minor

Gary Roach

Hi Matt,

Is this the bike that you got off of ebay?

If it is, it's a "Cross Country" model.

Gary

Matt Browne

Thanks guys. Yes, that is the bike I got on e-bay......looks much nicer in the photos. So that makes it the GS6 eh?
Just getting a grip now on the vast amount of info available on this site. I'm fairly comfortable with asking stupid questions and I really appreciate the help. Makes me feel like it's in good hands (the bike)

Oh...and the grass in the picture, although high on the "emerald rating" was just fair to average for this entire subdivision.....place was freaky green......

oil soaked filter
Matt Browne
oil soaked filter

Matt Browne

OK so now I pay attention and see that yes it is a "cross country" as the GS6 did not officially exist until '77.

oil soaked filter
Matt Browne
oil soaked filter

Gary Roach

Matt,

Here are some copies of a brochure that Knute sent me.

Here is a picture of my wife, Toni, at Mid Ohio on her '76 175.

Lew Mayer photo

Matt Browne

Thanks Gary. That's inspirational. This bike has been sitting for so laong that I think I am probably going to strip it down completely and go over it all over the winter. It is in My office at the shop right now and a major distraction from getting any work done!(the work I am supposed to be doing, which is not in the office).

I'll have to take some pictures of the pipes I have as the one that goes on the bike is clear and I have one other similar but also one that is similar overall but somewhat different where it would enter the exhaust port (size and angle). I'd be glad to pass this along to someone who might need it.

oil soaked filter
Matt Browne
oil soaked filter

Rain Man

Gary, tell me that picture was taken on the CC course, not the MX course.

Raymond
 Down East Pentons
Raymond
 Down East Pentons